Rant F**king Reddit

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Why are so many game studios putting more and more faith into Reddit? its shit and almost full to the brim with utter twats. The latest bellends to do so, Tribes Ascend shut down their official forums and basically said "Use Reddit instead" and soon backfired when angry Tribes Ascend players opened multiple threads on Reddit demanding that all Hi-Rez Studios accounts be banned from the site.

/rant off

Aada

Part of the furniture
Why are so many game studios putting more and more faith into Reddit? its shit and almost full to the brim with utter twats. The latest bellends to do so, Tribes Ascend shut down their official forums and basically said "Use Reddit instead" and soon backfired when angry Tribes Ascend players opened multiple threads on Reddit demanding that all Hi-Rez Studios accounts be banned from the site.

/rant off

I agree, I really want to know what the deal is.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i have looked at it from time to time, and always think it just looks shit and old :/

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Reddit itself is fantastic but there's no excuse for companies trying to cut their budgets by using it to host their support on the cheap.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It looks like a late 90's website. Impossible to find anything interesting.

I don't see the attraction.

For companies sure, it's free but then so is writing on napkins.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
It's not impossible to find anything interesting, far from it. I like the way site works. Too many reposts and nobs claiming work as their own and stuff like that though. It is however, in my opinion, far too popular to be considered as a viable replacement forum for one that already had it's own community. Like BO, I'm not a big fan of the community there, and don't post just read it because it is handy for news links and stuff that you perhaps wouldn't see anywhere else.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The intake age of developers is around 18-22. This means younger developers who think reddit is a good idea(since they're using it). Kinda like early 2000 new devs might've thought about irc.

Other side of fence are the people who are in the industryto work, not because they love games. Who don't know how the internet works, don't for example know who total biscuit is, read statistics and base design on that and have no idea about gaming outside their own field of work, -yet- have great power over the desicions. They here that them kids like reddit etc.

And as said above, it's cheap. Goes in the same category asabove; making games for work, not passion.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Running full blown support forums is a huge cost and a massive pile of aggravation. Social media has commoditised "community", to the extent that even if you wanted to run forums, everyone would still expect a Facebook page/Twitter feed/Reddit and probably Vines and a bunch of other crap, so the decision not to do forums becomes a pretty easy one. And frankly you've got no-one to blame but yourselves.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Reddit is a good source of honest opinions tbh, similar to this place but on a much smaller scale - you don't go to official forums to post your true opinions, you either go to report a bug or arselick.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Companies using social media is just another way for them to avoid communicating with customers on a personal basis, while appearing to communicate.

Company "Tell us what you would do with our new product, smiley face" is about all you get out of it.

If stupid people didn't think they were somehow part of the product just because they "liked" it or some tedious shit on twitter then customer service would improve.

DaGaffer

Companies using social media is just another way for them to avoid communicating with customers on a personal basis, while appearing to communicate.

Company "Tell us what you would do with our new product, smiley face" is about all you get out of it.

If stupid people didn't think they were somehow part of the product just because they "liked" it or some tedious shit on twitter then customer service would improve.

Some companies pay lip service but its not true to say its just a way of avoiding communicating. Some companies actually use social media extremely well, including for one-to-one communication.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Small companies maybe. Try getting anything meaningful out of a larger company.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Try getting anything meaningful out of a larger company through any medium.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Exactly. But with traditional means, at least they aren't being patronising by pretending to give a fuck.

DaGaffer

Small companies maybe. Try getting anything meaningful out of a larger company.

No sorry, disagree. In fact, I'd say you're better off dealing with your telco via Twitter for example than through CS; you'll get a faster response. The conversation that takes place in the public domain tends to get dealt with more efficiently.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Just one of many bad decisions coming out of Hi-Rez.... While I understand the underlying idea of it, it's just plain stupid.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Reddit is full of people who bitch about what software companies like EA do, but who still buy their products anyway.

It's obviously full of teenagers and 20-somethings, but there are some interesting discussions in places like r/science that can be quite enlightening.

Kryten

Old Cow.
It looks like a late 90's website. Impossible to find anything interesting.

I don't see the attraction.

For companies sure, it's free but then so is writing on napkins.

This, it's like a mid 90's messageboard, and a bad one, yet for some reason it's taken off. It's diabolical, full of retards and makes absolutely no sense. The guys from Hi-Rez generally are quite good (we deal with them often on QuakeNet) but it's clear they, like many people are trying to keep their fingers in as many pies as possible. All about reach.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Personally I think this is one of the better decisions Hi-Rez has made.

Various companies in the past tend to grab some forum software, put it up on their site, and it provides the solution of instant community. However they don't consider the long term impact of setting up the forums. It takes time and effort to moderate the forums, and it takes significant amounts of time to keep forum users happy - if you don't have developers replying on an occasional basis then they tend to get upset.

The reaction from players was quite hostile. Even though the vast majority of more experienced players moved on from the forums to places like Reddit - they were seriously pissed off. I used the Hi-Rez forums back during alpha/beta when it was actually possible to have a reasonable topic of conversation there, after a certain point the community gets filled with too many people, many of which never played a Tribes game in their life and wants to criticise something core to the Tribes experience.

The Tribes community is just very bitter recently as Hi-Rez has pretty much confirmed that they're not allocating any developer time to the game anymore. Anything which they do is going to be turned into a huge negative.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Personally I think this is one of the better decisions Hi-Rez has made

Unlike the abundance of shitty weapons and over simplified maps.

Tribes: CoD. Unfortunately :(

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
No sorry, disagree. In fact, I'd say you're better off dealing with your telco via Twitter for example than through CS; you'll get a faster response. The conversation that takes place in the public domain tends to get dealt with more efficiently.
This is purely because if you tweet someone for help they can't do the old "step 1 through 45 (turn it off then on)" in a single tweet imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom