Advice Eyefinity

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
Well i was considering of testing eyefinity, and by some weird situation, i happened to built a computer for my girlfriend, and i gave her my old 4870 2GB gfx, and bought for myself a sapphire 6950 Video Card, i dont remember if it was 1GB or 2GB, but i will check it as soon as i get home.

Now the question is, if i currently play WoW, and plan to test SWTOR, and after that GW2, am i going to be able to play on eyefinity x3 monitors ?

The monitors i am going to use will be either 3x 23" 1920x1080, OR i will try to find a 3rd monitor on my current 22" 1680x1080 settup. ( Most propably will run on 3x 23" )

Computer runs at :

P5Q3 Motherboard
4GB DDR3 Ram @ 1333 ( Dual Channel )
Intel Core 2 DUO @ 4 Ghz
SSD OCZ @ 120 GB
6950 1/2 GB ( Not sure if it's 1 or 2GB )

Graphics settings will be most propably on something average, like x2 AA and 4AF.

If i will notice a huge difference in FPS i will obviously lower them But i will hate it if i am forced to lower it way too much

My target is a little bit above 50-60 FPS Average.

What are going to be the results with 6950 1GB, and will be with 6950 2GB ? If you believe that this settup wont give me the gaming experience i want to have, what do you suggest for me to do ?
I do not plan to use crossfire, i absolutely hate it.

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
As i did a huge research, and nobody really replied this, i just wanna say that if you plan to go triple monitor gaming, best solution right now is ATI 6950 Flex, it let's you use 3xdvi adaptors, nothing special, plug and play, as well as it seems that for the 3rd monitor you actually need 2GB of VRAM , so anything less maybe works but it wont be the best gaming experience.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Probably would have been better in the Tech Advice section? :p

Anyway post pics when you have it up and running.

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah it would, but i am blind, i have seen tech-advice forum back in the days, but i cant really see where it is right now. Anyhow if a mod wants to switch it to the proper forum, leaving a link here, that would be awesome :)

And yes i will post a video, as soon i will have it working, trying to find this rare in Greece - Active mini displayport to DVI convertor, already ordered one, but wont know if it works until i make it work :D

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
eyefinity is jank, get an nvidia card for multi screen gaming imo

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4973/roombk.jpg

And here is how wow looks on all 3 monitors

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1148/raggie.jpg

My keyboard broke so i am using a default 101 strikes DELL. Will switch back to Razer one as soon as it get's delivered.

And yes, the left side of the room is occupied by my gf :p

FYI with an ATI 6950 1GB i run WoW at high settings with unlocked framerate @ 160 FPS in that room. You can see the rest of the computer specs at the top of this thread.

As well as the perfect use of this eyefinity was with the beta of wrath of heroes, which was absolutely amazing, minimal UI, makes it feel like you are there.

The configuration i did on eyefinity in the end was :

1 DVI--->VGA adaptor (Adaptor used)
1 Mini-displayport---> Vga (Active adaptor used)
1 DVI---> DVI

Thing is that i tried to use 2x DVI-->VGA adaptors and it didnt work. The GFX card seems to have :

1 DVI-Both Digital & Analog output
1 DVI-ONLY Digital output
1 HDMI
2 Mini Display port

The configuration i tried and failed was:

Well with a small backhistory, I ordered 3x LG 2241 LED monitors Native resolution was @ 1920*1080 as i wanted to reduce my expenses down to minimal i ordered all 3 monitors with just VGA adaptor, which has absolutely no difference. Beeing Analog Monitors.

A)
1 DVI--->VGA ( Passsive Adaptor used )

The configuration didnt recognize the one of the two DVI--->VGA as it seems that i doesnt support Passive conversion from Digital to Analog.
As i got pretty frustated, i thought that by using 2x Mini-displayport ---> VGA adaptors which are active, i thought it would work so i went right away and bought one, for my dissapointment, even if the monitors worked perfectly on non eyefinity mode ( meaning i had 3 monitors showing 1920*1080 with extended desktop ) when i tried to convert to eyefinity mode, the two displayports were showing the same image, and the eyefinity happened only with the 3rd monitors. ( monitor 1+2 shows same image, monitor 3 extended desktop with eyefinity mode )

So B Failed

B)
2x Mini-displayport---> Vga (Active adaptor used)
1x DVI--->VGA ( Passsive Adaptor used )

As i found no other solution, i called my PC related provider and asked him to change one of the 3 monitors and send me one with HDMI-DVI input. Which he did.

I tried to connect first the HDMI as following

C)

1 HDMI ---> HDMI

It again didnt work, the monitor with the HDMI was on 1920*1080 resolution but made a windowed mode inside the monitor, i cant really explain it but it just didnt work.

Then i plugged out HDMI for the DVI output of GFX card.

1 DVI--->VGA adaptor (Adaptor used)
1 DVI---> DVI

And at last it worked. Seriously a long way, but i guess it worths the effort :eek:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Does your eyefinity just stretch the desktop across the 3 screens on extend it?

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
as you can see from the in photo that shows wow, it extends it, i play on 5760*1080 resolution , if you are talking about desktop and it seems you are, then yes it works as you have 5760*1080 resolution, though enabling disabling eyefinity is so easy, that you can just disable it , then it works as an extented desktop, and w/e you want to play a game, you re-enable it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
i didnt like it because it just seemed to stretch my desktop which i didn't want, i couldnt work out how to make it extend, but i may have to have another go.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I never liked 3x landscape mode, you need pan your head too much. Works for flight sims, but for anything else can be a bit of a pain.

I use 3x portrait mode (3600x1920), which feels much more natural as I can see the whole virtual display at one, and it fills my vision. The only downside is if there is no multimonitor support in the game (less frequent these days but mainly happens with bad console ports) it's a PITA to play in windowed mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom