Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
anyone else been watching it on iplayer? normally don't watch many documentaries about cooking etc but really enjoying this one, some of the foods look so fucking nice.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
satay chicken or gtfo. Not really a fan of Chinese food in general.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
proper chinese food > almost anything

shit u get in this country with peas in it, and chips.. take or leave it

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Balls, it's all stir-fry and rice or noddles! :p Give me French, Spanish, Italian, Greek or pretty much any food from the med before Chinese. Hell, Indian food beats it hands down as well.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
You aren't supposed to eat the trays:twak:

I wasn't talking about ready-meals or takeaway ballbag! It was the corriander, it's fucking vile when used in anything other than small quantities and the Thai's use it by the truckload! :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Not a fan of Thai food. Chinese food, however....megadrool

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
thai ftw!

This tbfh. It's awesomesauce out there - and not rammed with coriander.

It's hard to come by decent thai food in the UK tho - but thankfully my local rents their kitchen out to a thai family - so I get microbrewery ale and cheap and great thai food on my doorstep :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Lived in Guangzhou for 9 months and the food was amazing as long as you stepped outside the hotels . Just best not to ask what you were actually eating. Or taste first, ask questions later worked. :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I frickin hate Indian food, too sugary and filling but still manages not to quench my appetite, just fills me up and makes me want to go home.
Greek food is just full of cheap shit offal meat passing as some kind of delicacy
Chinese wins on every level, MSG, salty, full of flavour, perfect mix of tastes..love it.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
You are obviously not eating decent Indian food :). I miss a really good curry ;/

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Yeah you need to shop around for good Indian

The best is obviously home-cooked by someone who really knows their spices

Then you've got your expensive but VERY good restaurants (eg La Porte des Indes)

Then there's your £30 a head places, sometimes on the high street, or a 30 minute drive away, very nice food, but still too much spent on the fixtures and fittings and your food will be served by friendly ppl who you know have zero passion in the food

Then there's your typical chucking-out after the pub closes high street salmonella farms. Avoid.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Watching episode 1 now. Really enjoying it.

There's just no way I could be tempted by scorpions or grass-hoppers. Just. Doesn't. Appeal.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Usually the best places are far away from thei high-class stuff with their fingersized portions, and away from the clear health hazards. Somewhere in between is the "how is this place still open" quiet foodplace where they serve good sized portions by a man who's clearly a good cook, with no fancying around.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
battered chickens feet... whats not to love ....

scaled.php

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I frickin hate Indian food

To be fair, I didn't until I got to Bradford. Now I go crazy unless I get a regular fix.

It's where you live. There's not a single decent Indian restaurant west of Blackburn.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
To be fair, I didn't until I got to Bradford. Now I go crazy unless I get a regular fix.

It's where you live. There's not a single decent Indian restaurant west of Blackburn.

That did suprise me in the past, have had a fair few curries on Merseyside and loads in west lancashire, they were all poor.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Watching episode 1 now. Really enjoying it.

There's just no way I could be tempted by scorpions or grass-hoppers. Just. Doesn't. Appeal.

I've had a go at both (in Vietnam and in Thailand). Not tempted to repeat the experience.

Struggle to find decent Thai food in Dublin and I find Westernised Chinese food boring. Miss my Indian food as well; there are a few places here but the missus isn't that keen so on the rare occasions we get a babysitter and go for a meal its usually Italian or Tapas or summat like that. One place I did find in Dublin (in Temple Bar) that was a new one for me was Indonesian; I'd had Nasi Goreng in the past but that was about it; really good food.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Probably right,the Indians around here serve up all the curries ladened with cornflour and impossibly huge chunks of processed meats, it's like eating flavoured wallpaper paste and after four mouthfulls I'm full, but not in a good way.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
You want pucka Indian grub, learn about spices, buy fresh ingredients & cook it yourself @ home. Or go for a meal at La Porte des Indes in the West End ;)

Nate

FH is my second home
A Malaysian girl was shocked when I told her we don't eat Chicken Feet in England. She was adamant it is the best part.

Chilly

Balls of steel
You want pucka Indian grub, learn about spices, buy fresh ingredients & cook it yourself @ home. Or go for a meal at La Porte des Indes in the West End ;)
Only french/indian fusion place with a star, iirc. Used to work just down the road from there.

Ono

Part of the furniture
I'd normally be watching this as I love cooking and food progs as well as being Chinese but the Olympics stopped me and also Ching gets on my tits as she is not a trained chef. Nice enough lass but I can't take what she says about CHinese food seriously.

Will catch up on it now I'm on hols.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I wouldn't mind performing a cunilingus adventure on the lovely chinese lass presenting the show with Old Ken! :D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'd love to try proper Peking duck. Closest I'll get to it is in Chinatown where they probably have the scented wood etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom