Exoplanet orbiting Proxima Centauri?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Once you're in space, you can simulate any gravity you like.

In relation to Proxima, no matter what kind of planet it is, humans won't be able to live there unaided, or indeed on any other planet, because we only evolved for this one. So its either a future of artificial habitats (and if you're doing that, then the reasons for colonising planets at all get a bit shaky; cheap radiation shielding is about the only reason because resource extraction will be cheaper and more efficient in space), or, we engineer ourselves for the planets we find.

Back in the golden age of Sci-Fi the likes of Larry Niven postulated spindly humans evolved for living on low gravity worlds like WeMadeIt and squat, tank like high grav Jinxians, but he worked on the assumption that we would evolve for these environments. I doubt we could do that quickly enough without the conditions causing serious issues (imagine low grav babies evolving in wombs designed for 1g, or what high grav would do for your blood circulation), so genetic engineering becomes the obvious solution. By the time we got out there, we probably be doing it to ourselves for other reasons anyway.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It was good enough to give them an idea of the grip and how far they could jump.
Oh and the gravity in the spacestation is almost exactly the same as on the surface.
It just free falls over the edge.

Job

Jesus I was going to write EARTHS surface, guess I overestimated some peoples intelligence.

gohan

FH is my second home
Nah he's sort of correct..... ish.... The space station is in our orbit and effected by gravity (to a smaller degree) but it's not actually 0g. The effect is to do with the speed both objects (the astronaught and the ISS) are travelling at. As it's a vacuum all weight travels at the same speed no resistance etc. But it's is definitely not the same as the gravity on the surface. It's also how the vomit comet works. Nose dive at the speed of a falling person to simulate weightlessness. For Students

Edit: dunno why it says for students. Just a link to nasa

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Jesus I was going to write EARTHS surface, guess I overestimated some peoples intelligence.
Yep. So you're talking shite.

That's why I posted the video of Chris floating in the space station whilst playing his guitar. I think he'd have a very hard time doing that on the earth's surface as gravity is very different not "almost exactly the same as on the earth's surface".

Hence extended periods in space absolutely fucking astronauts, despite them attaching weights to their arms and doing fuckloads of exercise every day...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yep. So you're talking shite.

That's why I posted the video of Chris floating in the space station whilst playing his guitar. I think he'd have a very hard time doing that on the earth's surface as gravity is very different not "almost exactly the same as on the earth's surface"...

Technically, he's falling, not floating. I just didn't understand what "It just free falls over the edge" means. Edge of what?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Technically, he's falling
Technically the earth is falling towards the sun. Effectively gravity is near zero for him, but if we're being uber kind to Job then yes, at 250 miles the gravity working on the space station is 90% that at the earths surface.

If that's what you were getting at @Job then fair enough. I'll concede that.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Poor choice of world but you would have to be an absolute spastic to not understand.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Word. fuck it, after the day I have had my brain is liquid.

Job

Uber kind to me for being right...thanks.
If the space station wasn't moving it would wall fall straight down towards the Earth.
Basically it is falling in an arc because of its velocity, that arc is the same as the Earths curve, its always trying to crash into the Earth, but the 'edge' of the curve always falls away.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Would there still be saggy tits if we had a lower gravitational pull? :rolleyes:
rmTbmvc.jpg

As for simulating low G.... build a zero G generator either in space or around a space object with no inherent gravity, and then run a train at speed around the edges. Hello gravity.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Low G, High G, or @Big G.

I know which one I like most...

can'tthinkofanythingfunny,havecold,pissed,kthksbye...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom