Exoplanet orbiting Proxima Centauri?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yeah, but what if they're living in one as well.

Job

ESO Announcement To Address Reports Of Proxima Centauri Exoplanet - Universe Today

If confirmed, this is really exciting. That system will almost certainly be the first we visit, being so near. And who knows, an earth-sized world so close to us, in its star's habitable zone, might prompt a heck of a lot of interest in developing technology that might allow us to image it directly.
4 light years away, get a laser powered micro sat up to 10% light speed..40 odd years plus 4 to beam back, we should concentrate on this, not sending humans to Mars.

Edit, technology is feasible.

Lasers Could Send A Wafer-Thin Spaceship To A Star

Last edited:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Proxima would make for a very different type of "habitable" to Earth. It'll be fucking dark for a start (Proxima has a tiny fraction of the Sun's luminosity, so anything that evolved would see in the infra-red). A "goldilocks" planet would also be very close in with a short year.

Really interesting though, and it was only a couple of weeks ago that SETI researchers were suggesting dwarf stars might be a better bet than G-type stars because they last so long (lots of time for evolution to have lots of tries).

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Tidally locked and subject to solar flares probably. I'm not booking my holiday there.

Job

enough power to detect the body heat of a bumblebee on the moon.

holy crap

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Can one tell the gravity of this new 'habitable' planet?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They can make educated guesses from size and so on but not exactly.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Can we get some pros and cons for higher or lower gravity as well, please!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Can we get some pros and cons for higher or lower gravity as well, please!

Humans have evolved for Earths gravity so in extremely simple terms:

Low gravity you bounce away and then get very weak and dangly.
High gravity makes you move very slowly and crushes you to a pulp.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Humans have evolved for Earths gravity so in extremely simple terms:

Low gravity you bounce away and then get very weak and dangly.
High gravity makes you move very slowly and crushes you to a pulp.

I'm well aware. Thanks. I'm thinking a few steps ahead here, such as what would a gravity of 0.5 of our current one mean, in terms of practical use - Architecture, sports, life quality, sanitation etc.

Also, you can simulate low gravity, but, can you simulate a higher gravitational pull?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Also, you can simulate low gravity, but, can you simulate a higher gravitational pull?
Other way round - you can't really simulate low gravity (if you're in the water you can have assistance from bouyancy but you still experience the same gravity) but you can simulate higher gravitational pull with rotational force, which feels the same.

gohan

FH is my second home
Yeah can simulate 0g but not low g. And high g is only in seated form for take off etc. Never seen simulations for like 1.5 or 2gs as what would be the point? Also I imagine the effects would take a while to be noticeable other than the obvious of everything feeling light/heavy

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Yeah can simulate 0g but not low g. And high g is only in seated form for take off etc. Never seen simulations for like 1.5 or 2gs as what would be the point? Also I imagine the effects would take a while to be noticeable other than the obvious of everything feeling light/heavy

I mean, with enough money and time, you can do anything. Build a massive zero g generator. Then inside that, simulate whatever g you want?

Job

They trained the moon astronauts with a simple elastic rope lifting them up.
High G...just add weights to your torso and arms.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I've read now that there's no real zero gravity or microgravity, since there's always a gravitational pull, hence the planets orbiting around the sun and affecting each other, a more sufficient term would be to call it 'free-fall mode'. For example, in a space-station orbiting the earth, from which the space-station itself travels around 17.500 mph, so you are rather travelling/falling with the object.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Everything in existence has gravity

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Would there still be saggy tits if we had a lower gravitational pull? :rolleyes:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
They trained the moon astronauts with a simple elastic rope lifting them up.
High G...just add weights to your torso and arms.
Acceleration due to gravity is constant regardless of mass. This would be a poor simulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom