Excalibur / Pryden Are Dead?

guid0

Fledgling Freddie
Wait a second, didnt Mythic MAKE this game? xD

The only thing thats stopping the change is the server code that has all the language options with.

Actually, they didnt. From the start and upto patch 1.7x something there was another company who did all the coding and mythic only supplied with artwork/animations/creative stuff. Thats the reason the Left-Axe bug was in the code so long. Cus when mythic took over the developing of gamecode they couldn't find where LA mechanics were coded in :(

fawzi

Banned
The grammar and spelling in your post made me skip the whole thing. If you'd used it properly, put some ideas forward and stopped talking about what you don't know, I might of taken it seriously.

Random GOA hate thread #24,021,001

It's actually a pretty good idea I feel.

As the one overlooking a post because it doesn't contain grammar you feel to be of your standard, that in my opinion, makes you less intelligent than the thread starter :)

Rhana

Fledgling Freddie
Actually, they didnt. From the start and upto patch 1.7x something there was another company who did all the coding and mythic only supplied with artwork/animations/creative stuff. Thats the reason the Left-Axe bug was in the code so long. Cus when mythic took over the developing of gamecode they couldn't find where LA mechanics were coded in :(

What I heard, the code that its based on was bought along with some other stuff from a dead company, so, none of the origninal programers where still around. Therefor Mythic didnt had a clue what they where doing at the start, therefore all strange bugs and stuff, floating answers and "working as intended". How ever, its hearsay, so no telling how true it is.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I've heard that DAoC was supposed to be an implementation of the Rolemaster RPG system but they jumped off at some point when ICE had financial difficulties.

Maybe that's where the critical hit system is derrived from.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
There is probably something that the remaining people can do.

Make a petition stating that you want the server to be clustered with another server and would accept the language being changed to either French/German and get enough signatures from people actively playing Dyvet.
GOA could always use the log in polling system they have to find out actual numbers of people wanting it not just rely on old posters here.

GOA will not bother at this point sorting out multi-language clustering. It's too much work for too little reward. The ability to change the server language to German and cluster with a German server is very possible since they did it with Glastonbury.

It all depends how many people would insta-quit if the server got changed to German and how many people might consider re-subbing for them to decide if it's worth it.

Lol please not. Doing that has killed Canterbury, so no thanks. Cluster with Broceliance if you want, I don't play there, but please not with any German cluster. I'd rather have Char-transfer then, cause that means, the service for the cluster is still 100% German, so not too many people will use that service.

I have no problem helping out people there who don't really speak german and I have done that often enough, but clustering means a lot more. Like I said in another thread, it pissed off a lot of German players and I don't ever want that to happen. The population is nice and cool atm and I wish it stays like that =)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
From what I see: DAOC, like many other games, isn't developed by a single company. Why? Because one company develops the engine they use for all the graphics, another develops the stuff you need for the audio. Next one makes sure you have a database server, the next one works on a scripting engine etc. and so on and so on. Why? Because it is cheaper when many games from many publishers use these components.

If you see a thread on MMORPG.COM that suggests a new engine for daoc for improved graphics, people quickly point out, the same engine works well in Oblivion.

And as you can guess, some of the code is compiled (part of the program) other code are interpreted (SQL, scripts, etc). While it is common to say: Mythic works on the code for the daoc, when you look at the details it won't be that clear.

GOA specific items, GOA specific quests, the related abilities and the scripts they need is one thing, that is different. The billing, account management and support systems are also different. The code for XML and updating info on web page can be different. About some bugs, GOA often said the GM tools and systems used are different as well.

When they translate stuff, the change from US english to UK english is a change, and it can change keywords used in scripts. And after translation, adding GOA specific stuff, changing some other stuff (scripts, content, other pieces of code), the whole package can get different.

I wouldn't be surprised if the code for DAOC would allow you to use different database servers as well.

So UK and US servers can be very different.

As soon as GOA sponsors some events desgined by players, it is possible that both French and English GMs added GOA specific items, and one item might be unique to english servers, other might be unique to french ones. And if they have same ID that can make clustering hard.

And to cluster with US: You would need to move the servers to US, I think. (You need very fast connection to database servers, etc) This with other technical differences can make it unlikely.

And about clustering with French / German servers? While some dyvet players ant the clustering that way, some others don't, they aren't the only ones to decide about the cluster: The French / German players have their say too. Do they want dyvet people with dyvet problems? If they vote no, and they are the majority clustering with them won't happen. And since dyvet people want the cluster so much that they speak ill about all other plans, other plans don't hae enough support to be considered.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Two seperate companies, Two completely different server structures - It won't happen stop being a Fucktard.

*Slap on the wrist to me for bringing such an old post up* they did it with the japanese server theres no reason why they can't do it with the english cluster now go back in time to the 16th September 2007 @ 12:51 PM and please cut off your fingers before you press enter.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
Lol please not. Doing that has killed Canterbury, so no thanks. Cluster with Broceliance if you want, I don't play there, but please not with any German cluster. I'd rather have Char-transfer then, cause that means, the service for the cluster is still 100% German, so not too many people will use that service.

I have no problem helping out people there who don't really speak german and I have done that often enough, but clustering means a lot more. Like I said in another thread, it pissed off a lot of German players and I don't ever want that to happen. The population is nice and cool atm and I wish it stays like that =)

Il rather play on US server, then haveing to read everything in German tbh.

So no thanks you to haveing the servers clustered with the German once, even if it would save them. (All servers should be English tbh)

Can't really understand why the Germans need their own server, are they really that crappy at the English language?

Same goes for the French tbh, "We refuse to speak English, or something like that" *Points nose in the air*.

Im Swedish, so my main aint English, but I still think this is how it should be ;D

But ohwell, I have started anew on the US servers now, and it's very fun there, and the people seem generally very nice ;D

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
u know, everyone here can't type in perfect english.
so bitching at grammar on a public forum where more then half is NOT english speakers is pretty pathetic.

Some UK guys type even worse than i do thought :(

Thadius

Part of the furniture
*Slap on the wrist to me for bringing such an old post up* they did it with the japanese server theres no reason why they can't do it with the english cluster now go back in time to the 16th September 2007 @ 12:51 PM and please cut off your fingers before you press enter.

MYTHIC already ran the Japanese servers, so it probably wasnt that hard. The EU servers are based in France, so they would have to ship everything across to America

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
MYTHIC already ran the Japanese servers, so it probably wasnt that hard. The EU servers are based in France, so they would have to ship everything across to America

Pretty sure they've got the methods to do this, I'm guessing it'd be a few GB to transfer across, manipulate then import into.

Would be really be nice if they did it, but.. Oh well ^^ I enjoyed (most of) my time playing DAoC.

- English -

Resident Freddy
3000 euro a month aint exactly good income for a company who has to pay for the servers, pay for their maintance, pay mythic for the rights to host, pay the employees to work, pay for tax, pay for rent of their location etcetc... its hardly worth keeping it open, the only reason they are is because no gms spend time on the eu servers now, and spent time on the fr/gr servers where there is more people = more income. Basically unless dyvet got alot more people on, nothing will be done. Its a no win lose case

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie

Nah. They were run by a Japanese company called BBGames using game cards I believe until they told Mythic they weren't making any money. Sanya may have done some news items for the Japanese Herald though.

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
Two seperate companies, Two completely different server structures - It won't happen stop being a Fucktard.

punch.jpg

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture

Simple data exchange would do the job tbh :p

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
you're all talking how stupid goa is etc...

well maybe in your eyes, and ofcourse i didn't like what happend to UK server but;

for goa:

Dark Age of Camelot was their first game, and I'am sure they've gotten more experience now then befor. However, their income also relies on Mythic, for example mythic didn't remove buffbots that's double income, on the other side their income went down big time after Trials of Atlantis expansion went live). When World of Warcraft went live, their income went even down more. Now they've had allready seen that Dark Age of Camelot can still be profitable, however with a smaller player database they cannot put in as much money as they have did befor. Even if they did, and somehow manage to keep some players playing, they have had contact with Mythic long time about Warhammer/other next game, this went all behind the curtains, and happend long befor we even had the slightest idea.

Planning: GoA, simply don't have the amount of employee's / money to keep two games running at maximum level. Obviously this is because France Telecom/ Wanadoo didn't want to put more money in their game running industries. For what reason this was/is I don't know but we can all guess... why would you run two games at maximum level, if you just manage to hide the thruth (of UK cluster DAoC not beeing fixed, whatever the reason may be) as long as possible, and manage to keep it close to WARHAMMER, and let them taste a bit of it, (WARHAMMER closed beta, or invite GUILDS long time befor GUILD BETA allready in the Guild Beta). That way you keep players sticking arround a little bit longer, and maybe long enough that their DAoC accounts at a certain time just close and go straight into a WARHAMMER account (due it has launched).

So basicly: why should they put more money in daoc?
- because we can tell other people how bad GoA is?? you realise how small the DAoC player database is?.. they dont care
- because they will lose money of us not playing daoc? they have allready encounterd that by not putting cash into the game, and they will cash again with WARHAMMER, even though lots of you claim to play in the U.S., 99% wont.

oh and yes, DAoC servers we cant speak of because some people will get very upset, (eventhough it's a DAoC forum and not a GOA forum) are full 100% 24/7.. wonder why?..

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
you're all talking how stupid goa is etc...

well maybe in your eyes, and ofcourse i didn't like what happend to UK server but;

for goa:

why?..

None of which really explains why GoA set absolutely no money aside to advertise DAoC in the UK at all since the game first launched five or six years ago. GoA dug thier own grave as far as Dyvet is concerned.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
None of which really explains why GoA set absolutely no money aside to advertise DAoC in the UK at all since the game first launched five or six years ago. GoA dug thier own grave as far as Dyvet is concerned.

Goa did a campaign recently in the UK magazines, I hope all of the advertising team got fired as they did a pretty useless job - clueless nQQbs is more the paraphrase I was thinking :(

OohhoO

Fledgling Freddie
For the life of me I can't even begin to imagine why anyone who experienced GOAs handling of DAoC would want to play WAR on a GOA server.

I mean, come on...
Their handling of DAoC never improved from day 1.
If anything it got steadily worse!

I can't see even a single reason to believe their handling of the WAR servers will be any better.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
For the life of me I can't even begin to imagine why anyone who experienced GOAs handling of DAoC would want to play WAR on a GOA server.

I mean, come on...
Their handling of DAoC never improved from day 1.
If anything it got steadily worse!

I can't see even a single reason to believe their handling of the WAR servers will be any better.

Nope, War will be played on US servers for me, thats for sure, Il rather give my money to people who give good service.

So Il be seeing you there OohhoO (Whats up with that crazy name neways), abit to much work to play any MMO atm though really >.<

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom