Evolution Server - How it could be

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Well, one of the options in the recent poll on new servertypes is the "Evolution Server" which would feature only 8 classes, and some reworked systems. I thought about what i would do if i was Mythic, since i got inspired by Flimgoblins comment in the Friday News thread :)

Flimgoblin said:
None of the suggested server types make any sense - the "evolution" one is basically daoc 2 and it'll be as "unbalanced" as people think the current daoc is pretty soon after it starts.

Not if they make each realm have access to the exact same classes, just name them differently.

I would go with:

Healer/Cleric/Druid - healing, single target root, some low damage output spell, con buff

Berserker/Mercenary/Blademaster - melee damage, selfspeed, self damageadd, str buff

Warrior/Armsman/Hero - shieldstun, self damage absorbation buff, pbae snare, af buff

Hunter/Scout/Ranger - no stealth, snareshots, medium defensive abilities, medium damage, dex buff

Runemaster/Wizard/Eldritch - strong single target dd, ae-dd, weak defence, acuity buff

Thane/Paladin/Champion - medium damage output, debuffs/buffshears, medium defence

Skald/Minstrel/Bard - ae-snares/roots, focusmess, low damage output, dex/qui buff

Spiritmaster/Theurgist/Animist - can spec in either temporary pets or "permanent" pets, pets can have similar abilities to other classes but much weaker versions, str/con buff

Note that each class has one buff (except the hybrid, that has buffshears instead), to avoid buffbots as much as possible

In addition i would reduce the number of combat styles etc but give them more pronounced effects. I would remove the current spell interupt system in favour of a more wow'ish system, but i would also tone down the damage and effect of spells so that you do get to cast more often but the spells arent as powerfull as now, for more action and longer fights at a whole. Might give the crowdcontroller class the ability to completely stop a spellcast instead of just delaying it, as a trademark ability of that class, since i would also tone down CC alot (at most roots, snares, short duration stuns, focusmess, and no ae-mess or long duration cc etc). The goal is to always leave people with something they can do, and never lock a character completely out of a fight, unless your ready to lock yourself out too (i.e focus cc).

I would make some items crafted only and some drop only. I would make some crafting materials needed for nice crafted items into drops (like legendary weapons are now).

I would increase the out-of-combat health and mana regen alot, to the point where the longest you would have to sit on your arse and rest would be 1 min to get from zero (or 1) to full health.

Anyway, what would you want to see Mythic do with this servertype? :)

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds abit like wow :touch: whats the fun if all 3 realms got the same classes? that just sounds boring ;)

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
evolution sounds fun as long as they are going to create 3*8 new classes, and not giving the same to each realm :p

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Evolution sounds crap, they've had how many years to try and balance DAOC? this seems to me like yet another go at it but under the guise of a new server type.

Personally I don't want things too balanced and the idea of the 3 realms having the same classes makes it a bit pointless. Just go play CS instead.

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
Eeben said:
Sounds abit like wow :touch: whats the fun if all 3 realms got the same classes? that just sounds boring ;)

I find the whines about inbalance more boring :)

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
sounds like wow renamed sorry i don't like the sound of it tbh stick with doac as it is. yes not fully balanced but it isn't unplayable

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
I thought their job was to keep the game balanced in the excisting servers :(

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Anyway, what would you want to see Mythic do with this servertype? :)

Not give all classes the same spells as listed above, would be boring as hell.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
if they give each realm the same classes it'd be balanced... but boring.

If they don't it won't be balanced - or rather people won't think it's balanced.

Dallas

Fledgling Freddie
old frontiers style rvr areas, new classes, new spells etc. sounds like fun :)

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Dallas said:
old frontiers style rvr areas, new classes, new spells etc. sounds like fun :)
That too sounds like WoW, nothing original.

The whole point of the differing classes was to not put imballance into the game, but to give more choice and more playstyles. Having the same classes in all 3 realms sounds dull, and then the issue of "whos got the most players" would reign supreme, rather like alb did for a long time. DAoC was good because the realms were different, else wheres the challenge?

mirieth!

Banned
i think people need to face the fact that new server types (much moreso on european servers than american servers) will simply serve to split the community on the current, already underpopulated, servers. if mythic had decided to introduce some of these things a year ago they may have been worthwhile, but imo it is an ill-judged attempt at satisfying long-standing desires of certain parts of the playerbase and it can bring nothing but DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

if you don't believe me, just look at the rapid decline of population on lamorak and how many people didn't bother going back to their 'home' server post-quitting-classic.

the grass is rarely greener on ze other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom