Evil Bill Gates at it again, lobbying for new GMO rules in Europe

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Bill Gates finances lobby for "new GMOs" in Europe

Thoughts?

The lobby campaign described here, that largely remained under the radar, is no less than an assault on the EU’s environmental and consumer protection legislation, which contradicts the Commission’s Farm to Fork ambitions for environmentally friendly agriculture and consumer choice.
Environment and farming groups call on the EU institutions to ensure that the 2018 ECJ ruling is fully implemented, thereby keeping new GMOs covered by current safety controls and labeling rules. This topic will be high on the EU agenda in the coming months, and it is crucial that the the wider public is actively involved in this debate. The future of our food system concerns everyone.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I jokingly added 'evil' in the title..

Now read it

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Well if you pretend that GMO aren't controversial then I'd imagine that having a standardised global food market will help feed poorer nations; if Uzbekistan use all their agriculture feeding EU nations without GMO but they can double their output using GMO they can also create surplus to sell to poorer nations.

I guess?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Pandora's box innit.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
The takeaway is also that they are trying to get around safety protocols and labelling rules, and get a monopoly on EU food standards.

Gwadien

The takeaway is also that they are trying to get around safety protocols and labelling rules, and get a monopoly on EU food standards.

Well yeah, I'd imagine someone that is pro GMO foods would do that?

How does it give Bill Gates a monopoly on EU food standards?

Do you genuinely think he's evil?

As I said, I'd imagine that Europe is one of the best and most reliable agribro markets, the problem is that countries outside of the EU will have to abide by EU rules in order to produce for the EU, which makes them pretty much exclusive customers (plus other countries that have the same rules AND can afford it).

One could argue in actual fact that Bill Gates is trying to break the rich countries monopoly on food.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm oppossed, as is clear.

We have a method of producing food much more densely and with significantly less chemical use that works in tandem with nature. This is just a futher expansion of an industrial system that is destroying our environment.

Gwadien

I'm oppossed, as is clear.

We have a method of producing food much more densely and with significantly less chemical use that works in tandem with nature. This is just a futher expansion of an industrial system that is destroying our environment.

I do agree, and we do have the ability to fix this without playing with dodgy shit, but it's all about investment and there isn't the interest for it.

So GMO is the cheaper (which is nearly never better) option, but I guess Gates & billions of people around the world will say yeah well, it's alright for you to say we don't need it when you can stuff your face at will, when we are going to face food disasters across the planet as sea levels rise etc.

As for Bill Gates and his philanthropic endeavours, I think it's American philanthropy in a nutshell; pretty patronising, not really sure what they're doing but throwing money at the popular ideas is popular.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
More crops = more water usage. Iirc india is using up a massive aquifer because of the grains its growing more intensively .

need a world food strategy that makes countries who have great arable land use it for countries that dont. And make best use of land globally not nationally.

wont happen though.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
We should be much more open to GM crops as I've said before.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I've an evidential argument that needs proving wrong to reverse my position.
Of course you Do. You always do. So much that no one cba bothering to try and debate with you any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom