Euthanasia - Good or Naughty?

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I am all for it. I'd much rather be dead than be a vegetable for the rest of my life. I can't understand why people are so against it. If a farmer has a lame horse/dog then he will take it around the back of his barn and blow it's brains out. It is the same principle but done in a more humane and painless method.

Is our society so selfish that it will suffer another person to live in a vegetative/terminal state indefinately so that the we can walk around with a clean and guilt free concience?

...or is there something that I am missing?

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
if the person requests to be killed and they have good reason such as becomming a "vegetable" i don't see why not! the family would be upset, but if it was me .. not that i have been in the situation, but i would probably rather see the person die peacefully then dieing slowly and in pain

good thread btw ;) making an effort i see :D

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
I'm really really really bored. :D

Generally though, it is the family itself that usually makes the request or is usually in full support of the request but the law always turns them down...which is what I don't understand. :x

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
It's good and necessary .... and desired....... and a 'life saver' and.... well I just think it's the bees knees tbh :D

No thanks! to 'Vegetable World' for me. My own Mother has told me she wants to die if/when she gets to the 'wipe my ass for me' stage of life and I feel the same. Fuck that.

I believe anyone who wants to die (for medical reasons mainly) should have the right to. It's bad enough that we are controlled to the degree we are, I HATE IT!!, ehem.. and it is illegal to kill yourself o_O I think that's obsurd. (yes i know about suicides..but lets not go there :p)

I equate these discussions with one of my personal favorites; if a woman is raped and forced to have the baby because "it's not the babys' fault" .. < shoot.

Your not allowed to kill yourself, even though your life is basically over..you can't walk and suffer an unimaginable amount of pain and have to be stoned off your fucking face just to cope with that alone, it's just not right to kill yourself.

I could probably express myself better if it weren't 7am...alas.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Heh, the 'suicide is illegal' law always makes me laugh. We hardly live in a free society if we aren't allowed to end our own lives when we see fit.

Tilda

personally I support it.
However several questions are raised by its use.
It would naturally have to be carefully regulated however, some examples illustrate my point better:

Over crouded hospital, people queued up in isles, very badly injured person comes in, no space to treat so he might just get popped off.

People getting bribed to euthanaise someone?
Euthanasia being used to "solve" hospital queues, and "treat" accident victims at the road side.

That gives anybody who can adminster the drug the power to take a life. Ok perhaps it could be regulated, but, as with smoking/canabis etc etc i'm sure it would be eventually de-regulated, and I think that would be when the problems may start.

Tilda

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
I really don't think that anything like that would happen. Doctors would never knock people off without having some form of writen consent from either family or the patient. They would be guilty of murder if they tried.

Tilda

Sissyfoo said:
I really don't think that anything like that would happen. Doctors would never knock people off without having some form of writen consent from either family or the patient. They would be guilty of murder if they tried.
Shipman?

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
Murder is against the law. And if you administer Euthanasia basically all you are doing is Murdering them... ok you may have their consent and it's not like your hacking them to pieces with a blunt butter knife which has gone slightly rusty and may also give the person tetanus, but you can call a fat bastard overweight, obese, plump, cuddly but at the end of the day they are still just a fat bastard.

also this woman on the Weight Watchers advert says "dieting doesnt work for me, but eating does." I mean WTF if eating worked for her then why the hell is she still advertising weight loss products?

isnt that the real question Sissyfoo?

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Yea but he wasn't interested in helping his patients; he enjoyed the feeling of power that came with being able to control whether his patient lived or died. Someone like that doesn't really have anything to do with the debate on whether euthanasia is wrong or right because there is no chance in hell that a doctor would be given the power to make those choices by themselves without the consent of either family or the patient.

zRRR

Banned
leave harold alone, not his fault he was tired and gave patients too much heroine.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Fedaykin said:
Murder is against the law. And if you administer Euthanasia basically all you are doing is Murdering them... ok you may have their consent and it's not like your hacking them to pieces with a blunt butter knife which has gone slightly rusty and may also give the person tetanus, but you can call a fat bastard overweight, obese, plump, cuddly but at the end of the day they are still just a fat bastard.

also this woman on the Weight Watchers advert says "dieting doesnt work for me, but eating does." I mean WTF if eating worked for her then why the hell is she still advertising weight loss products?

isnt that the real question Sissyfoo?

Shouldn't there be some room for mercy killings though? What is wrong with a wee bit of 'murder' if it is to provide end to a person's miserable existence?

As for the woman, she sold out! Bitch! I'm still waiting for my chance to sell out... ;)

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
Sissyfoo said:
Shouldn't there be some room for mercy killings though? What is wrong with a wee bit of 'murder' if it is to provide end to a person's miserable existence?

As for the woman, she sold out! Bitch! I'm still waiting for my chance to sell out... ;)

Well tbh if i was a vegetable lying on my bed all day foaming at the mouth and unable to move myself then..

actually sounds a bit like being a student...

kill all students?

anyway erm mercy killings are a pretty good idea imo i think a person would rather be put out of his misery. At what point does a person stop being a person and starts being a fat sack of crap?

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
i don't think many people disagree with it .. its just the point that if accidents did happen ... who do you blame? does the doctor have to live with this for the rest of his/her life? do the family take the NHS to court for this mistake? i think people may exploit this, you can't exactly hold your hands up after a mistake is made and say, sorry you can't take us to court, persons X, Y and Z signed A, B and C which takes it out of our hands ... it would start a civil war.

also how do you decide who has the right, and who doesn't to sign documents and agree to this?

if you have no 1 left in the world but a cousin, and you are in this possition, you have alot of cash and they agree to it because they would gain from it .. is that right?

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
That is what the consent form is for; you waive all legal rights to sueing the doctor or NHS if there is a fuck up. :)

Can't really see how there could be a fuck up though if they implemented it correctly. :)

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
consent form is fine, who signs it? who decides who is the closest person to the patient if the patient is in such a way that they can't express themselves.

if the patient has no family do you go ahead with the process like you did for a previous patient who had family who agreed to it? ... it could work yea, but after time you would spot alot of special cases where the person is in so much pain, but either the person in question has no family or the family disagree, and some docotor or nurse takes pity and can't handle the stress of seeing a person like this and takes it upon themself to do what needs doing. could lose alot of doctors and nurses

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
Nuked said:
consent form is fine, who signs it? who decides who is the closest person to the patient if the patient is in such a way that they can't express themselves

i think Sissyfoo should decide

Give them a thumbs up or Thumbs down gladiator style

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
The problem with euthanasia is that you can never be 100% sure that the patient is actually going to die from the disease, or what might happen in the time before they die. Although I have sympathy with those suffering so bad they might request euthanasia I am against it, just as people are against suicide.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
True but it is probably safe to say that almost 80% of the people who request it have no chance of recovery. Why should they have to suffer when there is practically no chance that their condition will improve?

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
I can't but I am pretty sure an expert in the relative field would be able to. ;) If a panel of doctors agreed that the patient's chances of recovery were impossible then ~ploink~ pull the plug. If there was some debate as to whether or not recovery was possible then euthanasia could either be denied with the possibility of an appeal later on down the road by the patient/patient's family.

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Well, people have been known to recover when doctors have said they would have no chance. Deciding over life or death when there is a chance they may live out their full natural lifespan is a decision you just wouldn't want to take on the chance you may make the wrong choice.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
most people who request euphanasia are ussually going to die eg got real bad cancer or something so i think its ok to kill them then rather than making them suffer years of agony. btw i saw a video about it :>

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I'm all for it.

It's my life, and I shall do whatever the hell I please with it.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
If the person is in pain, or they know they are going to have a prolonged and painful death, then why not give them the choice of ending it early?

My mum's sister was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease after she'd seen her older sister and her father go through exactly the same, and died from it. She knew she had approximately four months before she would lose the use of her limbs and become bedridden, and she knew she would be lying there helpless waiting to die within six months. Yet she was not allowed to die.

So we watched and waited as she withered away, was fed by a tube stuck in her throat just to keep her alive that little bit longer, and after she couldn't speak any more she was given a digital keypad to communicate with. And you know what she typed on this thing? "Fuck you, fuck this, fucking end it". Her mind was completely there and yet she was helpless, reduced to the state of a vegetable and more to the point I think, the humiliation of knowing everyone around was sitting there waiting for her to die. All she wanted was to go with some diginity, something she was not allowed.

After she was gone, all we felt was relief and gladness for her that she wasn't suffering any more, but at the same time so angry that she had to go through that, especially after watching two other family members waste away from exactly the same horrible illness.

Man, that was deep. Best get some rest. Thanks for listening.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
i dont see why the courts force people to die slowly and painfully :/ but what you could do is provide the person with the means to commit suicide as that isent illegel i think

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
'Shy,

That's such a tragic story and a perfect example of the needlees suffering of individuals and their loved ones :(

Who 'owns' the rights of *my* life? I would say me but the law says otherwise. That sucks :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom