EU vs US (daoc servers)

inqy

One of Freddy's beloved
Euro

Pros
Busy at peak time Euro
Friends (<-- big one)

Cons
Laggy/LD lately and on quite a few occassions.
Loss of items for many on Prydwen recenly, although not a frequent thing, worth mention.
Delayed patching compared to US
Very little In game GMs (on pry/exc). I've never seen any personally.
Euro introduced bugs/problems
Crap choice of servers for English

US

Pros
Bang up to date on patches/content/releases
In game support I hear
Huge choice of servers :)

Cons
Having to start again. (<-- big one)
Need to buy game x2 and expansions x2 again. (or roll classic hmmm x1)
Time difference
"awesome dude"

I really struggled to think of pros for either actually someone help me out.

Wild

One of Freddy's beloved
ppl on us servers do /highfive not gratz ... and that was only reason i left :D

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
Wild said:
ppl on us servers do /highfive not gratz ... and that was only reason i left :D
Are you sure it was daoc you were playing?

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Pro´s EU:
uhm......
Characters sced and such (usually)
Larger chance of players with same nationality

Con´s EU
Laggy servers
bad support
Crashing servers
Slow response from company
Near non existant ingame support
Buggy and slow reporting(rightnow)
to large mix of nationalitys creating hostile environment
the leet thinking with high end guilds going over corpses to achive their goals
+more but i think I done enough xD

Pro´s US
All servers are English
Currently large clusters making ToA and the such easy raids also
Not only Americans play here, a large percent is european
Europe peak time has a lot of activity as well due to above mention
Very helpful CSRs
Fast patching, Servers going back up hours before state times and such(goa usually takes atleast 5 hours to a day longer lols)
Very good and easy Homepage xmls and such.
Americans are so funny on vent trying to learn swedish :D
the leet attitude aint even close to the EU you actually can pug with whoever u like even if you dont know your "irc" buddies
Very solid and strong servers
Americans you barely even played with borrowing you their account.(Perhaps cause your a nice person like me :p I have like 20ish accounts from people I barely played with just chatted with on vent for example)

Con´s US
Vnboards

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Some more I can think of:

EU Pros:

- More of a community feeling. Sorry, but vnboards suck! Most players on English servers use FreddysHouse, apart from Hib/Prydwen.

- The ability to prepare for nerfs or class changes! Although it takes ages for a patch to come to the EU servers, you can usually take advantage of it and farm items you need before a nerf etc. Same thing goes for expansions, we can do templates well in advance of getting an expansion, instead of waiting for people to find all the new items with their stats.

EU Cons:

- The never working XML.

- Poor communication, news postings on daoc.goa.com take far too long to appear at times. However posts from GMs on the forums can be fairly fast!

US Pros:

- More players during offpeak times. US servers have about 4,000 players during non-peak times, EU servers tend to have 500-750. Probably because the US servers are aimed players worldwide, whilst the EU servers are restricted to a few countries.

US Cons:

- Very frequent patching. Mythic tends to go through quite a few versions of a patch version if there are bugs. GOA usually patches far less (although this latest patch and clustering has been awful for patching). Patches are doing during US morning, which basically means it might take until late afternoon or early evening for EU players until they can logon again.

- Slightly declining population, though judge for yourself (US vs EU).

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Chimaira said:
Pro´s EU:
uhm......
Characters sced and such (usually)
Larger chance of players with same nationality

Con´s EU
Laggy servers
bad support
Crashing servers
Slow response from company
Near non existant ingame support
Buggy and slow reporting(rightnow)
to large mix of nationalitys creating hostile environment
the leet thinking with high end guilds going over corpses to achive their goals
+more but i think I done enough xD

Pro´s US
All servers are English
Currently large clusters making ToA and the such easy raids also
Not only Americans play here, a large percent is european
Europe peak time has a lot of activity as well due to above mention
Very helpful CSRs
Fast patching, Servers going back up hours before state times and such(goa usually takes atleast 5 hours to a day longer lols)
Very good and easy Homepage xmls and such.
Americans are so funny on vent trying to learn swedish :D
the leet attitude aint even close to the EU you actually can pug with whoever u like even if you dont know your "irc" buddies
Very solid and strong servers
Americans you barely even played with borrowing you their account.(Perhaps cause your a nice person like me :p I have like 20ish accounts from people I barely played with just chatted with on vent for example)

Con´s US
Vnboards

I agree totaly with this.. and is why im going back to the Us with stoner :p the lag at the mo is making the game unplayable :<

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
UndyingAngel said:
I agree totaly with this.. and is why im going back to the Us with stoner :p the lag at the mo is making the game unplayable :<

Log on morgan le fay and say hi someday :D

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
EU pros/US cons:
---------------------

RightNow doesn't have a charlimit like /appeal (which I find clunky)
EU has Customer support that actually enforce the "spirit of the game" thing (see nerner/darkwolves compared to chaos theory trying to do the same thing...)
EU patches and then it's done with (usually) - a lot more maintenance patches in the US (we get them rolled up).
If there is a patch in EU it'll be done daytime EU, US it's daytime US = primetime EU so gets in the way.
Raid times are better
community is nicer (imo) or at least more together
Latency should be better to EU servers than US
GOA events, crazy goa quests ;)

EU cons/US pros:
---------------------

Only one english language server in the EU
No Co-op server in EU
Opentransit routing catches a cold...
New patches faster in the US (so get to see the new shinies sooner)
don't have to alt-tab to use /appeal in the US

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Chimaira said:
Log on morgan le fay and say hi someday :D

we are joining the MLF cluster as we have a few friends there.. what realm are you playing?

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
UndyingAngel said:
we are joining the MLF cluster as we have a few friends there.. what realm are you playing?

Midgard

And flimgoblin. Latency to US is better than its to EU. atleast for me on a swedish ISP

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
pros EU:

-The community (at least on hib/pryd)
-Freddys!
-Many friends ingame.
-The timezone is my own, which is nice since mainaction is when Im home from work and before I head to bed.

cons EU:

-GOA run it. Things have gotten alittle bit better but its still awful. There has been many major events where I seriosly have wondered wtf the clowns that runs the company actually think. Communication is the absolute worst here, they seem to believe everyone who plays DAoC are either complete retards or just accept anything.
-Opentransit as major ISP to run the servers in has shown to work very bad overall, there are countries in EU that have far better infrastructure than France and the servers should have been placed there.
-Many EUbugs that was never even seen in US.
-Rightnever with the automated botanswers sucks terribly bad and shows an extremely low lvl of professionalism. I have dealth with them myself and as I work with support myself, I can just laugh at it all. A company running a service with that low lvl would be out of the market so fast its nuts in many other areas due to competition. There is little competition (before WoW at least!) and thus the rubbish is allowed to go on.
-No ingamesupport that is reliable. Sure a GM once in a blue moon is always something but imo it is not enough.
-Crapservers, I dont understand how it is possible that the EUservers that are of higher technical standard than the USones actually perform alot worse, but they do.
-Slow patching.
-Nonworking XML for an extremely long time during the years GOA have run DAoC.
-Lack of ability to fix certain bugs and errors fast, in many cases GOA have to wait for Mythic to get their ass moving and do something about things. It is what it is, but its not good.

Pros US:

-Fresh patches, fresh fixes all the time, fresh expansions. I like exploring and when US run it first, all info is leaked out so nothing really feel new in EU.
-Good servers.
-Stable routing to USservers, I have had very little problems with packetloss and unstable ping, makes the game far more enjoyable than when you are routed through certain ISPs in EU.. *cough OT..cough*
-A far more casual view of RvR overall ingame, most yanks arent as competative as the euros. Its easy to find groups (at least for me, if I want them), and I can log on pretty much any time and RvR.
-A very shifting population, its everything from japs to mexicans playing.. I find it nice to talk to different people on Vent.
-Many uses vent and most PuGs even use it, I didnt notice it in EU (might have changed with time?)
-The cluster we are on consist of 4 servers, that means 4 servers to do TOA on and believe me, it makes a massive difference, TOA isnt even hard as it is.
-Ingamesupport.. Its lovely, it rocks and its amazingly good if you are used to GOAs bullshit way of handeling things. Have had use of this a ton of times.
-Camelotherald!! it just rocks tbh. Is always there, it has alot of info and XML is actually working.

US cons:

-VNboards.. its filled with complete idiots that just spam all day long, most discussions are 100% destroyed by trolls and I see very little constructive stuff overall there, even though it is a huge forum. Its a real shame since its those idiots that voice alot of issues in DAoC, means Mythic if they choose to listen to their playerbase will get a very scewed view of how things really are.
-The RvR, EUrvr is of better quality, no doubt. Its a big difference. Hardcoregrps there doesnt even use BG or grapple often. Its just amazing how much some of the groups there suck, even at rr12.
-Cheating, at least on Kiliburycluster its crawling with radarers, chatwindowdraggers, speedhackers, wallhackers, you name it, you will find it there. The community have a very fucked up view on cheaters, when we came to Merlin people openly said they used radar and didnt even try to hide it. What the heck is up with that, its really really silly. Practically every single GG used radar, every single one. Means we got jumped from behind 9/10 of our fights which isnt a good way to start a fight.
-Many childish morons play in US and they arent afraid of opening their mouth, /ignore is a very nice command I've found.
-The timezone do make a difference, I would rather have it like it is in EU if I could choose.

Both have their pros and cons, some heavier than others but overall I like US better since Mythic runs it so much better. I cant stand paying money to a company that cant set aside their left foot from their right, even if I love the game, and have most of my friends on EUservers.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Shike said:
pros EU:

-The community (at least on hib/pryd)
-Freddys!
-Many friends ingame.
-The timezone is my own, which is nice since mainaction is when Im home from work and before I head to bed.

cons EU:

-GOA run it. Things have gotten alittle bit better but its still awful. There has been many major events where I seriosly have wondered wtf the clowns that runs the company actually think. Communication is the absolute worst here, they seem to believe everyone who plays DAoC are either complete retards or just accept anything.
-Opentransit as major ISP to run the servers in has shown to work very bad overall, there are countries in EU that have far better infrastructure than France and the servers should have been placed there.
-Many EUbugs that was never even seen in US.
-Rightnever with the automated botanswers sucks terribly bad and shows an extremely low lvl of professionalism. I have dealth with them myself and as I work with support myself, I can just laugh at it all. A company running a service with that low lvl would be out of the market so fast its nuts in many other areas due to competition. There is little competition (before WoW at least!) and thus the rubbish is allowed to go on.
-No ingamesupport that is reliable. Sure a GM once in a blue moon is always something but imo it is not enough.
-Crapservers, I dont understand how it is possible that the EUservers that are of higher technical standard than the USones actually perform alot worse, but they do.
-Slow patching.
-Nonworking XML for an extremely long time during the years GOA have run DAoC.
-Lack of ability to fix certain bugs and errors fast, in many cases GOA have to wait for Mythic to get their ass moving and do something about things. It is what it is, but its not good.

Pros US:

-Fresh patches, fresh fixes all the time, fresh expansions. I like exploring and when US run it first, all info is leaked out so nothing really feel new in EU.
-Good servers.
-Stable routing to USservers, I have had very little problems with packetloss and unstable ping, makes the game far more enjoyable than when you are routed through certain ISPs in EU.. *cough OT..cough*
-A far more casual view of RvR overall ingame, most yanks arent as competative as the euros. Its easy to find groups (at least for me, if I want them), and I can log on pretty much any time and RvR.
-A very shifting population, its everything from japs to mexicans playing.. I find it nice to talk to different people on Vent.
-Many uses vent and most PuGs even use it, I didnt notice it in EU (might have changed with time?)
-The cluster we are on consist of 4 servers, that means 4 servers to do TOA on and believe me, it makes a massive difference, TOA isnt even hard as it is.
-Ingamesupport.. Its lovely, it rocks and its amazingly good if you are used to GOAs bullshit way of handeling things. Have had use of this a ton of times.
-Camelotherald!! it just rocks tbh. Is always there, it has alot of info and XML is actually working.

US cons:

-VNboards.. its filled with complete idiots that just spam all day long, most discussions are 100% destroyed by trolls and I see very little constructive stuff overall there, even though it is a huge forum. Its a real shame since its those idiots that voice alot of issues in DAoC, means Mythic if they choose to listen to their playerbase will get a very scewed view of how things really are.
-The RvR, EUrvr is of better quality, no doubt. Its a big difference. Hardcoregrps there doesnt even use BG or grapple often. Its just amazing how much some of the groups there suck, even at rr12.
-Cheating, at least on Kiliburycluster its crawling with radarers, chatwindowdraggers, speedhackers, wallhackers, you name it, you will find it there. The community have a very fucked up view on cheaters, when we came to Merlin people openly said they used radar and didnt even try to hide it. What the heck is up with that, its really really silly. Practically every single GG used radar, every single one. Means we got jumped from behind 9/10 of our fights which isnt a good way to start a fight.
-Many childish morons play in US and they arent afraid of opening their mouth, /ignore is a very nice command I've found.
-The timezone do make a difference, I would rather have it like it is in EU if I could choose.

Both have their pros and cons, some heavier than others but overall I like US better since Mythic runs it so much better. I cant stand paying money to a company that cant set aside their left foot from their right, even if I love the game, and have most of my friends on EUservers.

Very good post. hafv a rep :)

Dallas

Fledgling Freddie
well, US is cool if you wanna try something new, if i rerolled, id deffo be on active US cluster..

lots of funny/weird people on us, standing afk in sauvage, all day long.. literally :p

i think in general that us servers are a bit more laid back compared to eu ones..

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Hehe, i left US b/c i had sucky latency to US servers :p

I never LD on Lamorak. Only lag was frame lag on inc for less than a sec, then was back to normal. Reason I left was mainly cause of the community aspect.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
EU

Pro's
Steve Davis
Con's
Ronnie Biggs

US
Pro's
Tony Hawk
Con's
Some mafia dude

but america get Hoff and tom seleck...nerf

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Chimaira said:
Midgard

And flimgoblin. Latency to US is better than its to EU. atleast for me on a swedish ISP

fair enough - if you have a crazy ISP that routes through new york you might well have ;)

normally i have a much much lower ping to the european servers than the US ones (from the UK)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Gear said:
I never LD on Lamorak. Only lag was frame lag on inc for less than a sec, then was back to normal. Reason I left was mainly cause of the community aspect.

latency not LD - can tell someone with latency as they'll lag ghost more even in non-graphicscard-killing bits of the game.

Edit:

Forgot a european con:

People that play on the US servers and the EU servers like to go "ooh US servers are GREAT" on FH lots yet still play on the european servers for some unknown reason. The grass is greener crap gets annoying at times ;)

However, all these lists of personal grudges aside - you can get a free account on either set of servers and play for 14 days - go find out yourself if you really want to know.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
People that play on the US servers and the EU servers like to go "ooh US servers are GREAT" on FH lots yet still play on the european servers for some unknown reason. The grass is greener crap gets annoying at times ;)

Someone said that wisdom is not always doing the right thing, but being knowing why you do what you do. Playing EU servers is not the right thing in my case, but I have some reasons for it.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
fair enough - if you have a crazy ISP that routes through new york you might well have ;)

normally i have a much much lower ping to the european servers than the US ones (from the UK)

I also live in the UK and I get much better Ping to the US than I have done to teh EU for a long time now.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
American servers are full of Americans.

good point... but they are funny tbh :p we wouldnt have anything to laugh at if it wasnt for the americans

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Dallas said:
well, US is cool if you wanna try something new, if i rerolled, id deffo be on active US cluster..

lots of funny/weird people on us, standing afk in sauvage, all day long.. literally :p

i think in general that us servers are a bit more laid back compared to eu ones..

Like that pally at sauvage on lamorak? He lived there :D I still have screenshots of us all sitting around him

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
UndyingAngel said:
I also live in the UK and I get much better Ping to the US than I have done to teh EU for a long time now.

I'd like to see proof of that one :)

it's certainly possible depending on the routing but unless opentransit is shagged you should ping to paris faster.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Gear said:
Someone said that wisdom is not always doing the right thing, but being knowing why you do what you do. Playing EU servers is not the right thing in my case, but I have some reasons for it.

Yeah but you don't tend to post "omfg these EU servers are shit!" in every thread ;)

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm

Eu pro's
Lots of my friends are on there...
Some very helpful people there and also really generous and nice to noobs from what I can remember.
Same timezone as where I live

Eu Cons
Clustering when they only had 2 normal servers to start with, and to be honest thats the start and end of my gripes. I had only just bought the game when they announced this and me and my hubs promptly cancelled our subs and left. And thats the only Con I have.

While we were there the service was exemplary, so I have no frame of reference what so ever for any other issues, so it would not be right for me to make any comment.

US Cons
Not the same timezone as where I live
All my RL friends are on the EU servers, and thats a really big con
Sometimes due to the timezone, patching can interrupt me when I am looking forward to playing the game. Like 2.00pm till 6.00pm.

US Pros
There are absolutley tons of servers, so you have a chance of playing many different aspects of the same game. Co-Op servers for one, the RPG servers, and also a chance to play RvR on all three realms as each realm has some really good characters. I think for someone just starting out and buying the game new, this is quite a big pull. If you have not paid for a subscription game before and were a little mistrustful of them, such a large amount of servers and different experience possibilities make it great value for your monthly subscription charge.

More upto date, always get the patches first and the exspansion packs.

In game service what little I have used it, usually when I get stuck to something is very good, and they don't make you feel like a complete tool. Which I suppose is hard for them as when the person appealing has got stuck to a well in Tir Na Beo it's not very dignified :)

And thats all I can say really, I can't comment on the people as I have met some not very nice ones, and also some who were great.
I also am lucky enough to be in a really friendly nice guild and alliance so pretty much most of the time I am talking to them.

The fact that it's full of Americans is not here or there to me, I choose not to judge someone just because they are standing on a different part of the rock to me. I find in all places where you get lots of people together you will find good and bad, thats the nature of people. If you can't handle that, then any game/situation/location that puts you in the middle of mixed groups possibly isn't for you.

At the end of the day regardless of all the pros and cons, you'll play where your happiest, after all nothing in life is perfect is it :)

Kitts

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
Yeah but you don't tend to post "omfg these EU servers are shit!" in every thread ;)

ill post some ping plots l8er.. and when hasnt OT been shaged for the past 18months :<

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom