EU to US

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
No, we'll have to buy new US copies of the game + expansions to play on the US servers.

legaoniel

One of Freddy's beloved
..though if you could transfer your alts to USA servers I'd be off like a shot..

but you can't..

<sigh>

Motowntheta

Fledgling Freddie
We can only hope that if they ever release Roman's in Space that they will have enough money to host and run the European servers themselves :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
the cross-atlantic lag can be annoying:

was running a ML1 raid on pendragon but my usual tactic for 1.1 of slamming the "purros" didn't work because I kept lagging and pulling Aithos ;)
Never had that problem on the GOA servers (haven't tried 1.1 in the current lagfest though)

fortunately we managed to engage him and get through it the second time.

it's not 15 second lagspikes but it can be noticeable. Just so you don't go thinking everything is rosier and shinier and greener over the pond....

Jobil

Fledgling Freddie
also you'd be playing at "off hours" mostly which annoyed the hell out of me atleast, but if you're a night raven it shouldn't be a problem

Jace

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure you can compare the Pendragon test server to their live servers. Have played on the US servers on and off since launch and never experienced any lag whatsoever.

Dorac

Fledgling Freddie
Any chance someone can provide a US-server IP address or some gateway at Mythic? Would be nice for people to be able to check out the route.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Dorac said:
Any chance someone can provide a US-server IP address or some gateway at Mythic? Would be nice for people to be able to check out the route.

I will give you one later on

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Jace said:
Not sure you can compare the Pendragon test server to their live servers. Have played on the US servers on and off since launch and never experienced any lag whatsoever.

it wasn't server lag - it was network lag. And as I said it wasn't horrible lag but to say that their servers are lag free would be incorrect. They're not lagfest central like daoc EU is at the moment but nothing on the internet is 100% lag free ;)

Nott

Fledgling Freddie
You can use the euro SI version with just changing the content of your update.dat for free(sorry dont have that content onhand), but you would need ToA and Catacombs keys if you want those expansions. www.gamersloot.net is a good place to get keys.

if you buy a toa-key you can use your euroversion of toa by changing the content of your update.dat file into this:

Mythic Patch
patch.daoc.net:1280/updates/atlantis/mpatch.dat
patch.daoc.net:1280/updates/atlantis/mpatch.dat

Ocourse in any case you need to create an account and pay sub-fees to Mythic, but that goes without saying. Think you can get a 10day free SI key from Mythic, not sure.

I play solely on Gaheris (u.s coop) now and for me the grass is definately greener over here :)

PS: Svart: You coop fan, goa-hater. Why on earth aren't you playing on Gaheris :-D Convince your friends and come over :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
gaheris is nice but I miss the battlegrounds and the ability to go out to the frontier and get pwned :) when I play there...

Motowntheta

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
it wasn't server lag - it was network lag. And as I said it wasn't horrible lag but to say that their servers are lag free would be incorrect. They're not lagfest central like daoc EU is at the moment but nothing on the internet is 100% lag free ;)

Aye Flim is right you do get some lag playing in the US, but what you don't get are MASSIVE CONSTANT LAGSPIKES! Hey I'll admit I've even gone LD from a US server, but not 10 TIMES IN 20 MINUTES like I have on GOA servers.

I hope my use of caps serve to highlight the main differences between EURO and US servers :)

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
if you have lag vs gameservers then the problem is probably found in your ISPs peering. Run pingplotter, find the lagnode and contact your ISP and then drop a mail to the admin of the node, problem will normally get fixed then after a while. Major problem with EU is opentransit though.

Ive had enormous problems on EUservers for the 3 years I played there, game was unplayable for a month here, a month there, due to shitty peering and opentransit. Went US and havent really had any problems at all, once I had a laggy evening but then the problem was in BBBs own net in sweden and I would have lagged vs any server.

so.. /shrug..

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
the cross-atlantic lag can be annoying:

was running a ML1 raid on pendragon but my usual tactic for 1.1 of slamming the "purros" didn't work because I kept lagging and pulling Aithos ;)
Never had that problem on the GOA servers (haven't tried 1.1 in the current lagfest though)

fortunately we managed to engage him and get through it the second time.

it's not 15 second lagspikes but it can be noticeable. Just so you don't go thinking everything is rosier and shinier and greener over the pond....

That must be pendragon. Back before toa I played on us servers when I was on 56k and I lagged less than I did on the eu servers. Doubt it would be a huge change so you lag with adsl/broadband. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom