News EU plan to ban cars in cities

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
and the fact that current electric cars are more damaging to the environment that petrol/diesel. to get the materials for the batteries, disposal of the batteries, the batteries will only have a limited re-charge capacity which will mean the cars are disposed of quicker...more damage to the environment. Not saying its a bad idea in the long run...if they can come up with an idea that is actually beneficial for the environment rather than something that just makes cardigan wearers feel better about themselves.

Fingers crossed the European union has well and truly collapsed by then though.

tierk

Part of the furniture
Pretty sure the we have opted out on this in the UK. Can't see it is a bad thing as long as the alternatives are viable options.

tierk

Part of the furniture
Personally i think they should ban all private cars from the centers of towns & cities.

Park and ride for all people and a massive increase in public transport instead.

Cycling lanes and pedestrianize every road except the major access roads. Allow access for trucks etc for deliveries to shops at stupid o'clock only.

Pretty sure they did this in Oxford a few years ago and worked a treat.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Personally I think they should ban people who keep trying to fucking ban things.

ileks

Part of the furniture
That's by 2050 tho... We'll have hoverboards and stuff by then won't we? :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That's by 2050 tho... We'll have hoverboards and stuff by then won't we? :(

Quite a good point made in jest really. A hell of a lot can change in 40 years, both in peoples attitudes and technology. It's impossible to say what society will be like then and most definitely impossible to predict technology.

Who knows, we may take a step back a few decades and have a public transport system that isn't late, filthy, overpriced and too short on seats.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
and the fact that current electric cars are more damaging to the environment that petrol/diesel. to get the materials for the batteries, disposal of the batteries, the batteries will only have a limited re-charge capacity which will mean the cars are disposed of quicker...more damage to the environment. Not saying its a bad idea in the long run...if they can come up with an idea that is actually beneficial for the environment rather than something that just makes cardigan wearers feel better about themselves.

Fingers crossed the European union has well and truly collapsed by then though.

Apart from the fact that the batterys are replaceable and wont affect car life I agree. They're talking about having drop out plug in centres every 100 miles as a work around the limited range of electric vehicles. That'll mean thosands of batterys in various states or recharge usefulness scattered around multiple countries.

Ohh and I hope the EU is bigger and stronger by 2050.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Apart from the fact that the batterys are replaceable and wont affect car life I agree.

They are yes but would you bother spending several thousand on a new battery on a 6-7 year old car which is worth half that? All it will do is force more people to buy new cars and scrap cars which, if they had a traditional engine would last several years longer, thus cutting down on manufacturing emissions.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Air powered cars are the way forward, the technology for the compressed cylinders is simple,well established and about a million times less damaging to the environment.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Air powered cars are the way forward, the technology for the compressed cylinders is simple,well established and about a million times less damaging to the environment.

Just bolt one of them household wind turbines on the roof of the cars, have a battery and electic engine get the car up to speed and then plug in the wind turbine to charge the battery on the go and there you have it...

Free never ending power :)

/edit: ofc it won't be pretty but think of all the money you save :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think the drag and wind resistance might outweigh the electricity gained :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I still think it would work, it's to simple not to :)

Sure you won't be able to go as fast as you want with one on but you could probably go fast enough :)

/edit:
The catch is that the wind, acting on the turbine blades, causes drag. The energy you gain from the wind turbine is lost by the increased drag.

But here's a thought to all you who think this is a no-win setup: Who said the addition of a wind turbine has to increase drag? A car already has lots of drag from its forward-facing surfaces. If you punched a hole in one of these surfaces and put a wind turbine in, the overall drag of the vehicle would decrease.

So my idea is still sound :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
As raven already pointed out electric cars are more damaging to the enviroment than current vehicles :p think about it...

Electric cars = alot of laptop batteries that take about 10-16 hours to recharge, where does that electric come from? powerplants and what do those powerplants generate... :> and don't come up with the "Oh you can use solar power" bullshit :p because it'd take literally weeks/months to charge a car off solar power.

Its like the age old arguement "Oh cars are bad for the enviroment" errr actually no, only 3-10% of the total carbon emissions per year are made by humans, cars, factories, powerplants etc - 90%+ is all from natural things like plants dying or volcano eruptions.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Nothing like a good old alarmist article about the EU is there? Shame the EU haven't actually said anything about planning to ban cars from cities by 2050. All they've done is released a Transport White Paper looking at how transport patterns can be shifted and emissions cut. As part of this they declare the goal of no longer having conventionally fueled cars in cities by 2050 but that's because they aim to have replaced the need for them with alternative methods of transport. But I suppose an article saying "EU aims to improve public transport/alternative fuel systems to a sufficent level by 2050 that conventionally-fueled cars will no longer be seen in cities" doesn't sell papers as well as one declaring they're going to ban cars.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Dinna why they even bother looking at emissions tbh, they'd be better off trying to work out how to cut the emissions plants and volcanos make rather than an insignificant number that vehicles produce in comparison.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
anyone else think its a bit presumptuous for them to think the EU will exist in 39 years time? :)

You could be right!

You did factor that in to your thinking on your post in the nuclear thread? I mean, I'm pretty sure these things don't react well to wars and stuff. ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
We may not even need inner city hell hole shops by 2050. Personally I only use out of town electrical stores to sample something then buy it cheaper online.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Bet the arsehole bureaucrats who came up with that one won't want to be chauffeur driven to their offices in some piece of shit electric car

Ormorof

FH is my second home
You could be right!

You did factor that in to your thinking on your post in the nuclear thread? I mean, I'm pretty sure these things don't react well to wars and stuff. ;)

heh I doubt the EU will exist in its current form due to the backward thinking of the whole organisation (unelected bureaucrats making decisions and over-ruling elected governments), voters across europe getting seriously pissed at them, if you look at the way trends are going there's a major right-wing shift going on and in many countries nationalistic messages that would have been shut down as absurd 10-20 years ago are now being listened to by the "average joes", but what does that have to do with a nuclear reactor? (I was going to write about how you can fly a 747 into one, or hit it with an earthquake 9.0 on the Richter scale and then maybe even a big tsunami after that and it wont blow up buuuuuuut you aren't listening in any of the other threads so what would be the point...)

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Bet the arsehole bureaucrats who came up with that one won't want to be chauffeur driven to their offices in some piece of shit electric car

By 'that one' do you mean the ban on cars that hasn't actually been proposed by the EU?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Simple physics says no.

Damn simple physics :(

But i still think it would work somehow.

The cars would look fucking horrible i bet but somehow it's bound to work if someone tries hard enough :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom