EU news/community site

A

agreiloth

Hi all

I've been thinking about starting an EU news/community site, like warcry and catacombs, only better of course ;).

It'll be free no banner etc. and will have server/realm specific news as well as general news. It will be possible for all (registered) users to submit news, though an admin will moderate it and decide if it will be posted. So I'm hoping this site can be use for all sorts of news from new patches to events and raids on specific realms/servers etc.

So what do you think about this idea? Useful or do we have enough sites already?

I will set up the site and host it (if the replies to this thread suggest that such a site would be useful ;)), but I will need some peeps that are willing to help me administer it, around 3 peeps.

On top of that some peeps with good English written skills would be very nice, to help post news, stories and other fun stuff ;).

And if you have any suggestions as to what the site should offer besides the above mentioned please do speak up.

Thanks for reading… now reply!!! :)

N

Nightchill

Enough sites already? The only one I look at for EU news is the Barrysworld forums; which others do people use? So, imho, it'd be good if you can put the time in and keep it running long term.

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by Nightchill
Enough sites already? The only one I look at for EU news is the Barrysworld forums; which others do people use? So, imho, it'd be good if you can put the time in and keep it running long term.

That's where the "all users can submit" news comes in, of course there will work for me and other peeps that are deemed "worthy" (administrators;)), but I’m hoping the community will help keeping the site alive.

T

Thorarin

Could be nice, provided it has enough useful information to make it visited regularly :)

Oh, and remember that 'unlimited traffic' hosting is usually only unlimited until the hosting company decides it produces too much server load and shuts down the page anyway :/

B

Belsameth

there used to be an eu community page on BW, but it shut down due to lack of interest iirc

N

Nightchill

yeah there was a similar site to quakenet for daoc and it had some nice ideas but didn't really get the support. it'd take a lot of work to get people using it as their first source of information :)

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by Thorarin
Could be nice, provided it has enough useful information to make it visited regularly :)

Oh, and remember that 'unlimited traffic' hosting is usually only unlimited until the hosting company decides it produces too much server load and shuts down the page anyway :/

Yeah I know... but I'll worry about that if it ever happens ;)

A

agreiloth

But what would you need on the site for you to go there ? A new and better char builder ? a web based log parser ? etc.

givf suggestions ;)

N

Nightchill

for starters:

- mob-maps (for normal and SI) in an easy to use way (as little clicking as possible)
- GOOD class guides for new players; maybe summary versions of them (put your stats here spec this for pve, this for rvr, this for gimp)

in one site (instead of 3+) would help a lot :)

T

Thorarin

- A character builder with autotrain features
- Good maps for various purposes
- Good interface to XML data once it's up to date again
- Quest / Item database would be a pro, but a lot of work..

Also there is some various information that I've found I often need but usually takes sifting through several patch notes to find what you need. Would be nice to have such things compiled into some kind of FAQ.

In fact I had started on such a FAQ, but I haven't been putting enough time into it yet to be of any use.

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by Thorarin
- A character builder with autotrain features
- Good maps for various purposes
- Good interface to XML data once it's up to date again
- Quest / Item database would be a pro, but a lot of work..

Also there is some various information that I've found I often need but usually takes sifting through several patch notes to find what you need. Would be nice to have such things compiled into some kind of FAQ.

In fact I had started on such a FAQ, but I haven't been putting enough time into it yet to be of any use.

I'm working on a char builder with autotrain features... it's reasonable simple and won't take too long to develop.

There's alot of maps allready it'll take to long to make new ones, but perhaps get permission to host some of the better maps allready out there.

XML would be nice as well, but for starters I think duskwave.com will do a better job than me ;)

The quest/item database could work, but then it had to be the users that keep it updated, and admins only clean it up.

And that FAQ is a good idea... though version 1 is gonna take a while to do.. after that its fairly easy if you keep it upto date ofc ;)

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by Nightchill
for starters:

- mob-maps (for normal and SI) in an easy to use way (as little clicking as possible)
- GOOD class guides for new players; maybe summary versions of them (put your stats here spec this for pve, this for rvr, this for gimp)

in one site (instead of 3+) would help a lot :)

mobs-maps : see above ;)

GOOD class guides: will again require a good player from the community will take their time to write one. I haven't played all classes so I can't do them all ;).

But any1 that have a good class guide can have it hosted on the site ofc =)

A

Addlcove

let fanart include all our gifted writers, would be lovely for shaeffers Loyalty e.g. to be read in one unbroken story instead of shifting through a 6 page thread ;)

A

Aoami

Originally posted by agreiloth
Hi all

I've been thinking about starting an EU news/community site, like warcry and catacombs, only better of course ;).

It'll be free no banner etc. and will have server/realm specific news as well as general news. It will be possible for all (registered) users to submit news, though an admin will moderate it and decide if it will be posted. So I'm hoping this site can be use for all sorts of news from new patches to events and raids on specific realms/servers etc.

So what do you think about this idea? Useful or do we have enough sites already?

I will set up the site and host it (if the replies to this thread suggest that such a site would be useful ;)), but I will need some peeps that are willing to help me administer it, around 3 peeps.

On top of that some peeps with good English written skills would be very nice, to help post news, stories and other fun stuff ;).

And if you have any suggestions as to what the site should offer besides the above mentioned please do speak up.

Thanks for reading… now reply!!! :)

Sounds like a great idea, and if you still need someone to help admin it i would be more than happy to help

L

Lambsbreed

There's alot of maps allready it'll take to long to make new ones, but perhaps get permission to host some of the better maps allready out there.

Don't think getting permission to host other people's maps is a huge issue, aslong as they get credits for making it.

L

Lambsbreed

oh, and a neat little "Auction interface" both for buyers and sellers? (ingame items for ingame cash ofcourse)

M

~Mobius~

Sounds like an excellent idea, good luck if you need any small help just ask. :)

S

Sarnat

You could also get a lot of attention if you'd put the news on your site and then put a thread about it on BW and link to that from your site so people could discuss them here... And maybe link to some "hot threads" etc etc... Dunno if it's a good idea really or if BW would dislike that.

O

old.Belorfyn

XML would be nice as well, but for starters I think duskwave.com will do a better job than me ;)

We can always link to each others sites. I don't have link page yet but I'll add it when I get enough quality sites to link to :)

Site idea sounds very nice but as many have said, it will take alot to get people visit it. Or visit it more than once that is :)
I think I've seen site like this sometime before for EU but it was very dead when I saw it, last news was like half year old.

What kind of news were you thinking to have there. Roleplaying news ? RvR-news ? All of them ?
What kind of news would people actually like to read, I don't know.
As for myself, I'd probably check some roleplaying stories but I probably wouldn't keep coming back just for those. If there was some nice way to give RvR news, perhaps something like that would keep me coming back.

As has been said, the site proably needs alot stuff besides the news bit.

Remember to be prepared in case the site gets popular, I was amazed at Duskwave.com DAoC's success, I would had never expected such alot visitors.
If you're paying for hosting yourself, make sure you check if there is traffic limits and possible extra costs.
Well, it sounds like you know what you're doing anyway, just a little piece of advice that came to my mind. And no, nothing catastrophic money-wise happened to me before anyone asks :)

Anyways, can't figiure out anything else at the moment, I'll get back if I get more ideas later :)
If you need teachnical help or tips (php and database programming especially), drop me a mail.

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by old.Belorfyn
We can always link to each others sites. I don't have link page yet but I'll add it when I get enough quality sites to link to :)

Site idea sounds very nice but as many have said, it will take alot to get people visit it. Or visit it more than once that is :)
I think I've seen site like this sometime before for EU but it was very dead when I saw it, last news was like half year old.

What kind of news were you thinking to have there. Roleplaying news ? RvR-news ? All of them ?
What kind of news would people actually like to read, I don't know.
As for myself, I'd probably check some roleplaying stories but I probably wouldn't keep coming back just for those. If there was some nice way to give RvR news, perhaps something like that would keep me coming back.

As has been said, the site proably needs alot stuff besides the news bit.

Remember to be prepared in case the site gets popular, I was amazed at Duskwave.com DAoC's success, I would had never expected such alot visitors.
If you're paying for hosting yourself, make sure you check if there is traffic limits and possible extra costs.
Well, it sounds like you know what you're doing anyway, just a little piece of advice that came to my mind. And no, nothing catastrophic money-wise happened to me before anyone asks :)

Anyways, can't figiure out anything else at the moment, I'll get back if I get more ideas later :)
If you need teachnical help or tips (php and database programming especially), drop me a mail.

Hehe np, but duskwave does a very good job at showing lots of info is an easy readable manner.. imho :)

And yes I was thinking of hosting all of the news and stories, from Roleplaying to RvR to minor community news, they will be categorized so you can show only the catergory your interested in. The idea is that all even non-registered users can submit stories, news though mods will moderate it, and decide if it gets posted. And for registered users there will be gallery where you can upload your art etc. (I will update this list as I get closer to release ;))

That's the basic idea, there will be more content than that of course but that's the basic package.

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by Lambsbreed
oh, and a neat little "Auction interface" both for buyers and sellers? (ingame items for ingame cash ofcourse)

Good idea as well, I'll put that on the wish list ;)

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by mobiusmid
Sounds like an excellent idea, good luck if you need any small help just ask. :)

Don't worry I'll ask when I need help ;). In the early fase I'll primarily be buggin' Thorarin, and even though he doesn't know it yet he'll be one of the admins ;)

But we’re gonna need 5-10 content moderators and providers, if the site gets successful ofc =). So I will pm the peeps that seem serious and willing to help with a test url when I get the basic site up and running. Will probably be first week of august.

S

Sibanac

I've been looking of creating a parser to create spelcalc item files from some online database, should be pretty easy if you have direct access to a DB, to create that feature.

So for example after searching for all albion Q95+, 16+dps slash swords, you could download a zip file that would contain them all, then just extract in the spelcalc dir and you got em all

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by Tilda
how about a video database?

Yes I'm thinking about that too, but that's something that'll hog bandwidth, a good video is from 40-80 MBs and if I had to host 10+ of those I need a more expensive webhotel.

But I thinking about hosting a Top3 video list where peeps can sumbit their videos and users can vote for each of them. But I'd have to put a size limit on each video, I'm guessing around 30-40 MBs per video. I'm willing to upgrade the webhotel though if the site becomes a success and that will allow approx. 100 MB vidoes...

V

Vell

Sounds like an excellent idea, I would have done something similar but lack the confidence and skills to actually make it worth having. But I'd be more than willing to help out in any way I can - things like quest information and class guides I can help with, as well as some RP stories etc, and correcting bad grammar :p

I'll write some class guides and send them to you, see if you like them.

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by Vell
Sounds like an excellent idea, I would have done something similar but lack the confidence and skills to actually make it worth having. But I'd be more than willing to help out in any way I can - things like quest information and class guides I can help with, as well as some RP stories etc, and correcting bad grammar :p

I'll write some class guides and send them to you, see if you like them.

Nice thanks Vell, that is much appreciated :). I’ll pm you the url and test login when the testsite is up and running ;)

And ofc. you will get full credit for whatever content you supply!

A

agreiloth

Originally posted by Addlcove
let fanart include all our gifted writers, would be lovely for shaeffers Loyalty e.g. to be read in one unbroken story instead of shifting through a 6 page thread ;)

I will create an entire category called Stories where everyone can submit their contributions. It will be moderated though so we wont have 100 oneliners ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom