Music Ethernet Cable for your Network Music Streamer

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What an enormous pile of bullshit. Having said that I need to replace the wonky ethernet cable between my Apple TV and the switch soon because it keeps falling off the network (I hope its the cable and not the connection inside the ATV itself).

leggy

Probably Scottish
"it’s simple to spot the differences in levels of detail, tonal quality and dynamic performance"

Oh do fuck off.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I feel the need to start a shop to fleece the utter utter retards that fall for this shit time and again.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I remember reading What HiFi all those years ago and seeing Chord cables costing massive amounts per meter. Plenty of people to pay silly money for such items or to put it another way, with every hour that passes Rooney can buy more than a meter of the Sarum cable.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
OHMYGHAD! My Sonos is wireless, i need to replace my air! Where can i find better quality air!?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Whilst this is clearly bullshit to the extreme, the converse is also true. When HDMI cables came out, there was a fanfare of "they're digital, expensive cables will make no difference" until there were a lot of shite, several-meter HDMI cables being sold on ebay that either didn't work at all or fell apart. So whilst expensive HDMI cables, or indeed Cat5, don't make a difference in terms of end quality, I wouldn't want to run poorly shielded / constructed cable through a wall cavity or loft space subjected to cold and moisture.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Who in their right mind pays £1600 for a cable?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Rich people.

I know of someone who works for Linn audio and he says that there's a market for ridiculously priced HiFi from the far east and Russia. They don't give a shit how much it costs, they want to spunk needless cash on blinged up snakeoil. They come over to visit Linn's factory for a tour and pay handsome premiums for bespoke finishes to already fucking ridiculously priced HiFi equipment.

It's the same with the Hasselblad Lunar, it's identical to the Sony NEX-7 but ten times the price because they've stuck some bling on it. Only morons and billionaires would buy one.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Id like to point out that the very best connection you can have between two wires is to wrap it..its better than soldering..gold plated plugs or any kind of clamp.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Id like to point out that the very best connection you can have between two wires is to wrap it..its better than soldering..gold plated plugs or any kind of clamp.
what?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Que?

15212.gif

Job

The entire telephone network is wire wrapped because it is the most reliable and introduces the least losses. You use a wire wrapping gun that makes about 20 turns.

DaGaffer

The entire telephone network is wire wrapped because it is the most reliable and introduces the least losses. You use a wire wrapping gun that makes about 20 turns.

And that has exactly what to do with ethernet cables?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I feel the need to start a shop to fleece the utter utter retards that fall for this shit time and again.
We should all chip in and get a patent on "audio equipment with circuitry made entirely of precious metals" and just go for broke if people seriously buy this shit.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Just buy any old cat5, wrap it in paracord and say its specially treated, £100 a yard. Some cunt would buy it.

Job

Im saying that at high data rates simple plugs like ethernet cables are restricted by the physical connection..you may not notice it but the error correction is banging away...I used to test bit rates with screw end coax...you could alter the bit rate by simply waggling a tight connection...the grease of your fingers is enough to noticably drop transfer rates...so good quality can help..but onceyou spent twenty quid after that its keeping the contacts clean.
Look up high end audio fr geeks...all the wiring internal and external is wire wrapped.

DaGaffer

Im saying that at high data rates simple plugs like ethernet cables are restricted by the physical connection..you may not notice it but the error correction is banging away...I used to test bit rates with screw end coax...you could alter the bit rate by simply waggling a tight connection...the grease of your fingers is enough to noticably drop transfer rates...so good quality can help..but onceyou spent twenty quid after that its keeping the contacts clean.
Look up high end audio fr geeks...all the wiring internal and external is wire wrapped.

None of which matters for a network music streaming, which even at the highest bitrates available (1411 kbps), would only use a small fraction of the available capacity of Cat5e .

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
None of which matters for a network music streaming, which even at the highest bitrates available (1411 kbps), would only use a small fraction of the available capacity of Cat5e .

100% completely factually correct.

Job

Obviously..I was just pointing out that the weak point is the connection..that and capacitance..that will royally fuck up a binary stream

Chilly

Balls of steel
If I use one of these network cables for my PC->router connection, will my pr0n look crisper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom