ETA on 1.81 ?

Anny

Fledgling Freddie
anyone have any ideas when this will hit EU servers ?

Anny

Fledgling Freddie
rgr 1.82 oops

translation, i wonder how long that will take

limpit

Fledgling Freddie
i know, lets ask this question every other day in various posts all over FH :p

there is no official date for 1.81 + 1.82 on the EU servers... the only information that has been released is that we're getting both patches together and that they have started work on the 'localization'.

Anny

Fledgling Freddie
its the old " how long is a piece of string " thing, i know and altho im eager to see the patch i would rather wait a little longer and have all the bugs out of it

also if you dont like the post dont read it:twak:

Anny

Fledgling Freddie
lol wednesday would be nice but i would like another week or so atleast to complete new template ready for the forced resepc

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Sometimes last half of April.

Mythic haven't started on 1.83 yet. My guess is, that they won't start releasing notes until next week earliest... possible even 14 days.

A full patch note cycle takes usually around 1 - 1½ month. Thus, we are in the last half of April until 1.83 releases in the states.

Why is that important?

GoA have never released patches to be on the same level as US.

Hence, we won't get 1.82 until 1.83 releases.

Which means at least another 1½ month.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
GOA won't release an absolute releasedate for 1.81+1.82 until they are absolutely sure that they can actually make it. Until then you'll just have to wait.

Anny

Fledgling Freddie
yeah i know they wont release an exact date just yet thats why i started the thread with

ETA

what i was looking for is what Azathrim said "end of april ish"

thanks all

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Anny said:
yeah i know they wont release an exact date just yet thats why i started the thread with

ETA

what i was looking for is what Azathrim said "end of april ish"

thanks all
Azathrim - and all the other people throwing conjecture about - have no more information than you do. We have an internal ETA for 1.81+1.82 however this is obviously subject to change depending on test progress. As soon as we have a stable test version and can commit to a public ETA we'll announce it in the news. Until then the guesses you read here are just that - guesses.

There is no significance to be drawn from the fact that previously the EU and US servers have never been running the same version simultaneously. This is not carved in stone as an inviolable rule.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Requiel said:
Azathrim - and all the other people throwing conjecture about - have no more information than you do. We have an internal ETA for 1.81+1.82 however this is obviously subject to change depending on test progress. As soon as we have a stable test version and can commit to a public ETA we'll announce it in the news. Until then the guesses you read here are just that - guesses.

There is no significance to be drawn from the fact that previously the EU and US servers have never been running the same version simultaneously. This is not carved in stone as an inviolable rule.

so its March the 3rd then?

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

That is as far as I know also the first time this have been commented on directly by a GoA employee. Hence you have nullified my theory. ;)

You must admit though, that my theory made sense and up until you release 1.82 in EU before 1.83 in US actually have held true. :)

It's good to know though, that you are not holding back a release due to waiting for Mythic to finish the next patch.

The next question that naturally arises would be:

Are Mythic artificially holding you back to delay a release in EU to allow them time to release in US? (Forinstance by not sending you the needed files in due time).

Or, would answering that question be going too close to the relationship between GoA and Mythic? ;)

IainC

Azathrim said:
That is as far as I know also the first time this have been commented on directly by a GoA employee. Hence you have nullified my theory. ;)

You must admit though, that my theory made sense and up until you release 1.82 in EU before 1.83 in US actually have held true. :)

It's good to know though, that you are not holding back a release due to waiting for Mythic to finish the next patch.

The next question that naturally arises would be:

Are Mythic artificially holding you back to delay a release in EU to allow them time to release in US? (Forinstance by not sending you the needed files in due time).

Or, would answering that question be going too close to the relationship between GoA and Mythic? ;)

While I'm obvously not going to comment on contractual details between Mythic and Goa, I can say that we get a patch for testing when it is stable on US servers and major post-release bugs have been fixed. Mythic get it working on their servers first and then they have the dev time to devote to our version.

Himse

FH is my second home
Why do English servers need to wait for translation? :< i know its easier to do all at once, but i say we get patches faster, since to be honest, servers arent exactly stable and such :<

inqy

One of Freddy's beloved
Then they have 2 different versions to support and also have to think about how to patch game clients from different countries to different versions.

It used to annoy me that we have to wait for them to translate to the other languages first but it doesn't bother me now and I can understand why they do it that way.

Himse

FH is my second home
inqy said:
Then they have 2 different versions to support and also have to think about how to patch game clients from different countries to different versions.

It used to annoy me that we have to wait for them to translate to the other languages first but it doesn't bother me now and I can understand why they do it that way.

ok :X

IainC

Himse said:
Why do English servers need to wait for translation? :< i know its easier to do all at once, but i say we get patches faster, since to be honest, servers arent exactly stable and such :<
Because a lot of the 'translation' is technical translation and not actual language translation. It's not possible to simply apply the US patch directly to EU servers. The largest part of the testing is for the English version, while we're testing it in English, we're translating the bits that need to be translated into French, German, Spanish and Italian and then there's a short period - normally less than a week where we are only testing foreign versions once the English tests are complete. Even during that period it's likely that final tweaks are beng made to the English version and so the translation into other languages delays the English patch by a matter of a few days in most cases.

Why do you say the servers aren't stable? There have been three incidents in the last year where the servers have either crashed or we have had to bring them down and one of those was as a precaution that proved to be unwarranted eventually. The uptime on our servers is better than nearly all of our major competitors - even counting the 12 days that Prydwen was shut down for last year.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Why do you say the servers aren't stable? There have been three incidents in the last year where the servers have either crashed or we have had to bring them down and one of those was as a precaution that proved to be unwarranted eventually. The uptime on our servers is better than nearly all of our major competitors - even counting the 12 days that Prydwen was shut down for last year.

Indeed, compared to WoW f.ex. the DAoC servers run like a dream. WoW still has weekly downtime of 6-10 hours to reboot and maintain the servers after over a year of going live. Not to mention that they have unschedualed server crashes usually once or twice a week with accompanying downtime, and huge database lag (often have to wait several minutes for an item you have just created to appear f.ex, or a trade to go through etc). And you often have to wait to even get your character list to load and such.

Chilly

Balls of steel
the servers may be stable but the end user experience is shit. constant lag and LDs.

Feyd

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Not to mention that they have unschedualed server crashes usually once or twice a week with accompanying downtime
Just a small question - how can you have schedualed server crashes? :touch:
Isnt crashes unchedualed by nature?

I get what you mean - just kinda made me giggle about the though of a schedualed crash. 'Ohh its tuesday the 28. 16.24 cet - almost time for our crash at 16.30' :p

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:

Thats very nice. However you still cant argue the fact that we get more "enjoyable" days at your competitors because of the Opentransit lag. It doesnt matter if the problem is caused by GOA servers or Opentransit servers - it is still GOA that have to deal with it. Nomatter how you turn this you cant deny that its GOA whos losing customers because the customers isnt getting what they pay for.

Its the same in all other business. For instance its problematic when webbank customers cant enter their home-banking account because the site is down due to the banks ISP. You dont hear the bank saying sorry man, its not our fault its outa our hands. They know they have a problem and that they are losing customers because of this and hence they fix the problem. Or when other industry companies have problems with their product, etc it breaks easily and they just say sorry guys, its not our problem, its our supplier that is giving us bad materials.

Modern business strategies is based on Supply Chain Management. Its not just a coincidence that a 150 years-old business strategy got totally turned upside down. Companies are alot more dependant on each other than ever before, and hence you cant just sit back saying its not your problem when something is wrong in your supply chain. It does affect your company in a bad way.

However I havent had any real lag for a few months now which is good. Maybe Opentransit have finally upped themself and is delivering an actually acceptant service to its customers now. Companies with monopol in their business do tend to be very lazy and slow because there are no competitors. Still this shouldnt prevent GOA from delivering a lagfree service. There are several options available like placing the servers in Germany. Afterall we are in Europe and everything is much alike. GOA should also feel very fortune that you have wide limits. This Internetmarket is still very new and there is very few rules made to protect the customers, and probably wont be for another 10 years.

This is not ment as a whine post. Merely to try opening GOAs eyes that there is other options than sitting tight. Also before you say that other of your competitors have problems with lag alwell I wanna add that I did play Guild Wars, Everquest 2 & Star Wars Galaxies also (when OT lag) and I didnt experience any lag.

IainC

cemi0 said:
Thats very nice. However you still cant argue the fact that we get more "enjoyable" days at your competitors because of the Opentransit lag. It doesnt matter if the problem is caused by GOA servers or Opentransit servers - it is still GOA that have to deal with it. Nomatter how you turn this you cant deny that its GOA whos losing customers because the customers isnt getting what they pay for.

Its the same in all other business. For instance its problematic when webbank customers cant enter their home-banking account because the site is down due to the banks ISP. You dont hear the bank saying sorry man, its not our fault its outa our hands. They know they have a problem and that they are losing customers because of this and hence they fix the problem. Or when other industry companies have problems with their product, etc it breaks easily and they just say sorry guys, its not our problem, its our supplier that is giving us bad materials.
We do fix problems that are attributable to us. If there's a problem in our hosting then we are usually right on top of it. If the internet in Europe decides to go crazy for a few nights as happened a few weeks ago or a Danish ISP suddenly changes it's routing tables so that Danish players can't ping our servers then we can't really be responsible for that. We do however pass on the details to the companies that are responsible for it.
Nearly every web-based business will not face the same problems that an MMO operator will. As long as there is an open connection with sufficient bandwidth to their platform, they are ok. Your internet bank for example is almost entirely unaffected by lag spikes or general internet slowness. At the very worst you'll perhaps get a page timing out every so often. Mostly the user won't even notice. Only companies like us that rely on constant, strong connections will be affected by these problems which is why we have a very strong hosting arrangement with a very large and stable platform. We can only be responsible for the parts that we administer however.

cemi0 said:
Modern business strategies is based on Supply Chain Management. Its not just a coincidence that a 150 years-old business strategy got totally turned upside down. Companies are alot more dependant on each other than ever before, and hence you cant just sit back saying its not your problem when something is wrong in your supply chain. It does affect your company in a bad way.
We don't. That's why we keep asking for pingplots so that we can pass them on to the companies involved.

cemi0 said:
However I havent had any real lag for a few months now which is good. Maybe Opentransit have finally upped themself and is delivering an actually acceptant service to its customers now. Companies with monopol in their business do tend to be very lazy and slow because there are no competitors. Still this shouldnt prevent GOA from delivering a lagfree service. There are several options available like placing the servers in Germany. Afterall we are in Europe and everything is much alike. GOA should also feel very fortune that you have wide limits. This Internetmarket is still very new and there is very few rules made to protect the customers, and probably wont be for another 10 years.
Placing the servers in Germany would solve nothing. The last major lag episode was caused by a router in Frankfurt sending connections all round Europe. Prevous ones have been due to routers in London, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Zurich and Birmingham. These problems would crop up periodically wherever the servers were located. Unless every player had a direct line to the servers and someone invented network gear that never broke down or got too busy or decided to do weird things like route Danish players via Texas from time to time, problems like this will always reappear. It's entirely impossible to prevent and the best we can do is to make sure that our part of your connection is as robust as possible and get problems in other areas attended to by whoever is responsible as quickly as possible.

cemi0 said:
This is not ment as a whine post. Merely to try opening GOAs eyes that there is other options than sitting tight. Also before you say that other of your competitors have problems with lag alwell I wanna add that I did play Guild Wars, Everquest 2 & Star Wars Galaxies also (when OT lag) and I didnt experience any lag.
I'm not going to slate the competition but if those other companies never lag then they should be filing patents for their miraculous network gear that can compensate for connectivity problems on the entire internet.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
I'm not going to slate the competition but if those other companies never lag then they should be filing patents for their miraculous network gear that can compensate for connectivity problems on the entire internet.

here

Technology at its best......

:m00:

Anny

Fledgling Freddie
Everyone Read This

I Made This Thread To Get A rough Idea of When In The Year We Would Get The Patch,
I Did not Make It For People To Aim Hassle At Goa, If Thats What You Want To Do Make Your Own Thread And Flame Away, But Its Not Something They Deserve And Im Sure Its Not What Requiel Is Paid To Deal With

My Question Has Been Answered, Please Close This Thread, It Has Served Its Purpose

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Anny said:
Everyone Read This

I Made This Thread To Get A rough Idea of When In The Year We Would Get The Patch,
I Did not Make It For People To Aim Hassle At Goa, If Thats What You Want To Do Make Your Own Thread And Flame Away, But Its Not Something They Deserve And Im Sure Its Not What Requiel Is Paid To Deal With

My Question Has Been Answered, Please Close This Thread, It Has Served Its Purpose

when not send a private message then ?

:m00:

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Anny said:
Everyone Read This

Too Many Capital Letters At The Start Of Each Word

Good point mind you :p Can understand peoples frustration though, I've played US servers on and off for quite some time now and have had no lag issues at all, considering the extra distance thats pretty good rly.

E

Eruptix

Naffets said:
Too Many Capital Letters At The Start Of Each Word

Good point mind you :p Can understand peoples frustration though, I've played US servers on and off for quite some time now and have had no lag issues at all, considering the extra distance thats pretty good rly.
yup

tho i must say,lag on EU servers is not as bad as everyone would make you think it is.its playable

sucks when a lag spike hits your fight,but heh..sucks also when a french retarded pugs hits your fight xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom