Essential PDA software

D

danger

I've been playing around with my Dell Axim X5 for a few months now and boy is it great :) I haven't really loaded anything on there other than some emulators so basically at the moment it's a glorified gameboy / organiser :)

I was just wondering what PPC utilities and software etc everyone uses, I just have this feeling there's loads more I could be getting out of it that I've just not discovered yet :)

B

bids

Apart from the standard Microsoft stuff, on my Ipaq 3630 I have:

TV Remore Controller (crap range but a cool toy to impress)
DTSysView - Easy hardware management
PocketTV - multimedia player (better/leaner than MMP)
CE Filecommander for Telnetting
Mini-Netstumbler and a CF 802.11b card for wireless hacking :)

C

Custodian

On me old IBM Workpad I got a dandy little utility that I downloaded that is a shopping list. Lets me add stuff and I tick them when I need one (or more), and then tick them off as I walk around Sainsburys and....

why you looking at me like that...

at least it's practical :(

T

Tom

Pocket TV is a must, I have the unaired 1st southpark video its always good for a laugh.

I also have TomTom navigator on there, for when I'm in the car.

P

PR.

I use PocketInformant for my organiser, it is a lot better than the built in stuff.

I use SPB pocket backup which allows me to remotely backup to my PC is very quick and has executable backup files

I use RepliGo which allows you to create PDF style documents that are very easy to read onscreen thanks to screen wrapping

Bust'Em is a fantastic game made by the people at penny arcade, its basically the paddle and ball game to destroy the blocks, but has lots of great power-ups

Also Pocket Monopoly, Pocket Scrabble and Simcity 2000.

TextMaker is my word processor, it is equal feature wise to Word 2000 it supports Mail Merges/Tables/HTML/Imbedded pictures.

More later... work :(

P

PR.

MultiIE allows you to have multiple PIE windows open, and allows you to enable cleartype in IE

ListPro using to contruct a IT Problems Solutions database, it has a PPC and PC frontend so you can add stuff nice and quickly

ClearVue Presentation & Worksheet viewers, this allows me to read Powerpoint and Excel files without purging every piece of formatting out of it :)

RESCO File Explorer - A proper file explorer allows you to encrypt files and browse the PPCs registry also allows you to browse PC's over a network connection

Thats about it really :)

Don't forget that the Dell Axim is getting an upgrade to the new PocketPC 2003 soon and depending on how long you have owned yours it may be a free upgrade here

J

Jonty

Just on a sidenote, I think it's great that Windows Mobile 2003 upgrades are being made available for PocketPC 2002 customers. One thing which quite upset me was the fact that when PocketPC 2002 was launched, very few providers offered upgrades, a fact which was worsened by the introduction of 'PocketPC 2002 only' software, which meant 'older' PDAs instantly dated :(

As for software, I think all the useful utilities have already been listed. Just in case it's not installed, though, you might want to grab Microsoft Transcriber which I personally like as a means of writing when my keyboard isn't practical.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Microsoft have created a upgrade information page

P

PR.

Back in the day of PocketPC 2000 *shudder* most PPC came with a non-rewritable ROM. When MS released PPC2002 Compaq cheered cos they had always sold iPAQ with flashable roms and because the iPAQ had become the most popular MS went ARM only leaving anyone with SIPs or MIPs with no were to go

Even now people who bought the popular HP iPAQ 1910 which was/is a very small Pocket PC have been left out in the cold as HP have said they won't get an upgrade as PPC2003 is 'aimed at enterprise customers' :(

D

danger

transcriber came installed on mine by default... it's the most useless piece of junk i've ever used (by which I mean my handwriting is useless junk :p) transcriber can't make head nor tail of it :( I generally use letter recogniser. Cheers though for the responses... I will deffo check out some of the others :)

Users who are viewing this thread