K

*Kornholio*

Originally posted by [RKC]BoneC
Isnt it Medal of Honor instead of Medal of Honour. I know for sure :rolleyes:

'Honor' is the way the illiterate yanks spell 'Honour'

While on the topic of nit-picking, it's : Isn't not Isnt

T

throdgrain

you lot got a game tonight? if so i may be able to bring a couple of clan mates if thats ok?

O

old.SeRaphiN

if yer nit-picking its actually honor the british way its spelt

T

Testin da Cable

hon·our (nr)
n. & v. Chiefly British Variant of honor

O

old.[RKC]BoneC

Re: Re: Errrrrrr wrong forum name?

Originally posted by Kornholio[UC_UK]

'Honor' is the way the illiterate yanks spell 'Honour'

While on the topic of nit-picking, it's : Isn't not Isnt

Don't blame the Dutch :cool:

I did not know yanks have different words then you UK guys.

But isn't ;) it better to use the exact name of the game?

O

old.SeRaphiN

hey bonec, are you rkc guys going to be getting a mohaa clan side going ?, i dont think K will, but would be looking for a clan to join in in a bit of ww2 gibbage.

O

old.ignus

Re: Re: Re: Errrrrrr wrong forum name?

Don't blame the Dutch :cool:

I did not know yanks have different words then you UK guys.

But isn't ;) it better to use the exact name of the game?

No coz that would be against our way of life. Britain owns fullstop. That is our belief and way of life. If you don't think that you can piss off.

O

old.[RKC]BoneC

Re: Re: Re: Re: Errrrrrr wrong forum name?

Originally posted by ignus

No coz that would be against our way of life. Britain owns fullstop. That is our belief and way of life. If you don't think that you can piss off.

To Ignus: a bit shortsighted and frustrated? :rolleyes:

To SeRaphiN: yes we are going to play MOHAA.
JAy is also in the RKC, so if you like i can ask the rest of the clan if you can join. (we always vote :D ) But it will mean that you must leave [K] as you can be in only one clan at a time in our opinion.

S

Summo

This bugs me too. It's a name. The name is 'Medal of Honor'. It should be changed.

Not that it ever will.

O

old.ignus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Errrrrrr wrong forum name?

To Ignus: a bit shortsighted and frustrated? :rolleyes:

To SeRaphiN: yes we are going to play MOHAA.
JAy is also in the RKC, so if you like i can ask the rest of the clan if you can join. (we always vote :D ) But it will mean that you must leave [K] as you can be in only one clan at a time in our opinion.

Hey don't mock me, I'm a true Brit, its in my blood and I'm fucking proud of it. Considering we invented the lauguage I think we can do what we want when it arrives at these great shores.

O

old.[RKC]BoneC

oh...ok

Lets end this ;) we are going to call it "Medaille van de Eer" thats dutch :D But i agree with you on one point and that is that more countries were part of that invasion and the following battles and not only the USA and Germany.

For instance the Netherlands was liberated by Canada.

M

MrChumble

Considering we invented the lauguage

It's a struggle not to point out just how utterly wrong that statement is. Oh darn, I just did :p

O

old.ignus

your evidence being?

I did write out a big reply but as I'm not entirely sure that its true I replaced it with this question.

SO where did it come from smart arse?

M

MrChumble

"Cake please."
"We're all out of cake, we weren't expecting such a rush."
"So my choice is 'or death'?"

Um well anyway :)

I'm not an expert, but I can give you the general outline and point you at where to get the hard facts if you really care :)

Considering we invented the lauguage

'we' - 'Used to refer to people in general, including the speaker or writer' is the most appropriate definition I could find. I assume by 'we' you refer to either England or the UK. Either way the statement falls down, as Modern English has it's roots primarily (but not exclusively) in the Germanic languages, and more recently has incorporated large parts of the Romance languages. This is of course a gross simplification, but sufficiently accurate for a short rant on a gaming forum :D
'Invented' - well I only know of four invented languages - English is an evolved language, incorporating words and phrases from many sources.
No one can be said to have invented English, the idea is frankly nonsense: it's akin to saying 'We invented fire'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0521785707/202-5189982-2709400

An excellent reference text, although some argue it's inaccurate in places.

Anyway...game of MoH anyone? ;)

O

old.ignus

Thats an interesting chat up line, does it work?

Ok so we didn't invent the lauguage it evolved from other mostly dead launguages, Latin and Arabic I believe are the main two. But anyway the point I was trying to make was that we have the right to pronounce things as we prefer instead of the crappy Americanisms that we keep getting considering we were using the launguage (or a form of it) long before the Yanks and we were the ones that actually gave it to them. In other words if I want to say honour instead of honor I will, same goes for the creater of this forum.

As you've probably gathered I don't like the majority of America, their patriotism scares me as much as communism scares them.

S

Stazbumpa

Once again Ignus manages to completely bury the point he is making by camouflaging it with a post that is both confrontational and counter produtive.

What I believe my esteemed collegue is trying to say is that he hates the Americans, and thats about it really. I agree in part that there are too many americanism's of the English language, considering it was spoken well before America was even thought of.

The main point is that English was/is shaped into the language it is today by, lo and behold, the English. Funny that innit? Also what eats Ig is the way American cinema likes to re-write world history, especially stuff like this. This also pisses me off immensely, but I appear to be able to reserve my wrath for actual Americans (or the French), not our friends north of the border.

And I never knew that the Netherlands where liberated by Canada. I am enlightened once again. No doubt someone will make a film to immortalise their heroism one day.

Except in the film, they wont be Canadians.

O

old.ignus

what you talking about Staz, I was correcting myself, not something I often do. I wasn't arguing with anyone as I agree with Mrchumble as he obviously knows more about the subject than I do, I just added what I knew in an attempt to make myself look a little more clued up than I actually am.
Basically the point I was trying to make in the first place was that as British English speakers we have the right to change words to our own spellings, you could argue that it is a name and should remain the same but you'd be wrong. :)

S

Summo

How can it be wrong? The name is Medal of Honor.

I'd be mighty pissed off if I went abroad and people started spelling my name the way they'd spell it in their local language.

To touch on another Eddie Izzard quote (a good link, I thought) the film, Speed wasn't called La Vitesse in France. It was called Speed because thats its fecking name.

This is very silly. I'm off.

K

*Kornholio*

sometimes film names (songs, games, dvd's too ect...) are changed (translated) into different languages... in this case, they've used an americanism... as you say though summo, it's a pointless argument... i don't think anyone particularly gives a shit either tbh...

O

old.ignus

Originally posted by SomeGuy
How can it be wrong? The name is Medal of Honor.

I'd be mighty pissed off if I went abroad and people started spelling my name the way they'd spell it in their local language.

To touch on another Eddie Izzard quote (a good link, I thought) the film, Speed wasn't called La Vitesse in France. It was called Speed because thats its fecking name.

This is very silly. I'm off.

No no no, changing something into another launguage is completely different to changing its spelling in the same launguage.
Did you know that, shit as it was, Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone was changed to Harry Potter and the Soucerer's stone in America, now if they can change a whole word why shouldn't we be able to add a letter. Answer that.

Anyway enough of this, it isn't a name its a description therefore we get to add the 'U'
Damn American sympathisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom