Error 678 in XP

sirin

Fledgling Freddie
Hi

Decided to get a new PC, as my old one is, well, crap.

Bought all the stuff as components from www.ebuyer.co.uk, and it all arrived thursday morning, put it all together, everything going fine, untill it came to modem.

All the modem drivers are installed, and when I try to connect to the net, I get error 678 - cannot connect to remote computer (or something along those lines) and I cannot now get the internet to connect?

Anyone know what I can do to get this sorted?

Thanks

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Go to the device manager (right click 'My Computer' and choose 'Properties', then click on the hardware tab then click the device manager button), and find Modems in the list. Click on the cross next to it and the make/model number of your modem should appear. Right click on it then choose Uninstall, confirm that you want to do this.
When it's been removed, clck on the Action menu at the top of the window and choose Scan for Hardware Changes.
It should then reinstall your modem.
Try it after that.

To test the modem independantly of Dial Up Networking, go to Start->Run and type in HYPERTRM at the prompt. click ok and choose not to make it your default telnet program. It'll ask you for a name and an icon, just put test in as a name and don't worry about an icon. Click OK and in the next screen put in your dial up number - make sure that the Dialling From and Dial Using fields are correct. Click OK again and onthe next screen click on Dial. If you get a screen saying LOGIN then your modem works.

CjkaceBM

Fledgling Freddie
What modem is it?

A lot of modems are set up for use in the US by default (especially the Intel/Ambient variety). There might be an option in the system properties > hardware > modem to change country.

sirin

Fledgling Freddie
Chretien - I have tried unistalling the reinstalling the modem drivers - get the same errors again ( had error 679 before, but solved that ), and I know the modem works, as I am using it to access the net now :) However, this OS is Win 98 , and the broken one is Win XP - is it worth doing a test anyway?

CjkaceBM - The modem is an alcatel Speedtouch 330

I will have a look and see if there is a change country option.

Thanks both :)

CjkaceBM

Fledgling Freddie
So it's an ADSL modem that you are having trouble with?

USB or Ethernet connection?

If it works under Win98 but refuses under WinXP then it points to a driver installation fault/error/incompatibility.

http://www.speedtouch.com

Get different drivers for it.

PS If that doesn't work then throw the modem in the bin, as you have more chance of being bitten by a daffodil than getting any help from Ebuyer customer service.

Angara

Fledgling Freddie
sirin said:
Chretien - I have tried unistalling the reinstalling the modem drivers - get the same errors again ( had error 679 before, but solved that ), and I know the modem works, as I am using it to access the net now :) However, this OS is Win 98 , and the broken one is Win XP - is it worth doing a test anyway?

CjkaceBM - The modem is an alcatel Speedtouch 330

I will have a look and see if there is a change country option.

Thanks both :)

Try and place three comma's behind the number :)
Might work also

sirin

Fledgling Freddie
yay, its fixed now :)

I had the latest drivers from speedtouch.com, but saw a reference to speedtouch.co.uk - downloaded these drivers, installed, and hey presto, working modem :)

Didn't know drivers could be different for different countries though? First time ive seen it?

Thanks though all :fluffle:

Ziva

Fluffy
I had this problem too and this article helped me:

Error 678 -The Computer You Are Dialing Into Is Not Answering

[Error 678
Error 678 is usually an indication that TCP/IP has become corrupt. Commonly we would expect this Error for Windows XP

With XP try the following ...
  • As always try a reboot
  • Go to "Run" type "command" and click OK. In the new window, type netsh interface ip reset log.txt and hit "Enter" (all commands should be typed without the quotes). Then restart the computer. ( This resets the TCP/IP Stack in WinXP )
With all other Operating Systems (i.e. Windows 98/ME/2000) try
  • Recreate the Dial Up Connection
  • Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Modem.

CjkaceBM

Fledgling Freddie
sirin said:
yay, its fixed now :)

I had the latest drivers from speedtouch.com, but saw a reference to speedtouch.co.uk - downloaded these drivers, installed, and hey presto, working modem :)

Didn't know drivers could be different for different countries though? First time ive seen it?

Thanks though all :fluffle:

It's more different phone systems for different countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom