ermm THIS IS GETTING COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
numerous hotmail accounts have been hacked now, loads of players lost stuff from their chars already, the hackers log in with msn aswell and retrieve the hotmail address of other players this way...

some sort of warning MUST be be given by goa because this is getting completely out of control.....

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Also, for those of you who're worried about having your account hacked into, contact your server master, in our case Kemor. He'll be able to tell you the last time your account was logged in, hope it soon enough for some, but too late for others unfortunately :( .

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Kemor has handled my situation very well i would like to thank him a lot and hope this bastard hacker stays away from my daoc account although he hack my hotmail one earlier :(

Guys if you see anyone suspicious please tell a member of E&E right away!

We have to rid this crap from such a good game.

liste

Fledgling Freddie
best thing to do, is to take a piece of paper, write the password on it, and glue it to your monitor. looks like shite, but you wont lose it, and the hacker is out of reach.

It's silly the ammount of hacked incidents reported yup, and i can only stress Sycho's statement. Grab your local E&E, Kemor, ASAP if you've been hacked.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Nope, i can't use my msn messenger, so if you see my name log on it's NOT me.I have asked for a new password and security question to be changed though.My daoc account should remain safe thanks to kemor and fishi.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
I cant see why you think GOA are responsible for you hack.

Ive lost count the amount of times Hotmail has been hacked, warnings given by GOA on the main site and all the forumites on BW and FH who have said so many times "DO NOT USE HOTMAIL, ITS NOT SECURE!!!".

If you read back through the forums and the chronicles, you will see so many people say "store your user and pass on a peice of paper, do not make a txt file on your desktop or in your hotmail account".

Its your own risk how you store passwords, the best and most secure by far is your own memory!

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
GrivneKelmorian said:
deleted all mails containing PW for daoc.
Doesn't really help much, only slows the hack down abit. All hacker has to do is send an email to GOA saying "I've lost my password, please mail it to me"
Voilá haxxed :mad:
Avoiding HotMALE is better imo, as it seems to be the big target

Nausilus^^

Can't get enough of FH
So basically anyone using hotmail and/or msn is at risk of being hacked ?
Nerf hackers imo... worst class ever... :(

Gorryk

Fledgling Freddie
While hotmail is bad enough, am I right in thinking most of the people getting hacked also use irc? Keeping passwords in hotmail is a bad idea, but generally, it's secure enough. As far as I know, most hotmail 'hacks' are just people gaining access to your pasword through other means. This can be as simple as a dodgy forum admin reading your forum password and trying it out in hotmail (far too many people use one password for multiple sites), or by dropping a keylogger on your system. MIRC is one of the least secure programs I've ever used, and anyone who isn't particularly savvy with computers, and lacks decent firewall protection is a sitting duck really. I know 2 people who use(d) irc while playing camelot... One of them got hacked (most likely via hotmail as his password was stored there) and the other trades (and I'm pretty sure scams) accounts in the dozen nad probably doesn't care about any of the accounts...

Knowing the amount of twats on irc, I like to give it a very wide berth :)

Araudry

Fledgling Freddie
i have always used hotmail for over 5 years never got any problem etc i know many ppl got hacked but look like it s their owns fault and i ill still use it ..

if ur account is hacked mail kemor ask to close ur account and prove who is the original owner ;o

Damini

Part of the furniture
For some reason you're not supposed to type e-mails of freddyshouse, so expect that above post to get edited away, so if it's gone then...

His name is kemor and he works (at) goa. Comprend? :)

Araudry

Fledgling Freddie
Damini said:
For some reason you're not supposed to type e-mails of freddyshouse, so expect that above post to get edited away, so if it's gone then...

His name is kemor and he works (at) goa. Comprend? :)
hehe i totaly forget about that :clap:

Cyfr

Banned
Theres no problem with IRC. If you use quakenet simple use the mode to hide your hostmask - BEFORE you join channels. I've seenso many people use this but they hide their host mask after joining a channel thus still revealing their host.

Don't accept any DCC chats, Files or anything from anyone. Same on any program as it usualy connects directly to you and shows your IP to the other person.

diodera

Fledgling Freddie
if they are in the hotmail acct change the mail delete all info about the subs send a new msg to your new mail with subs etc or just delete it all but you need a backupmail wich only u know about no1 will even know u play daoc no1 will know about your acct.. and get a new gamepass.. dont just delete the mails then they can just mail goa and say they lost pass

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
My account just got hacked: someone logged in and stole 4 plat and changed game password,,,
i have no password in my Hotmail inbox and i have never recieved any files Via IRC quakenet or anywhere else for that matter... :touch:

Damini

Part of the furniture
Do you have your IE security settings set so that if the paste mechanism is triggered then you have to click ok? I seem to recall a problem a while back with a site that harvested the passwords from where people copy and paste them into the game. Other than that I recommend Spybot Search and Destroy and Webroot Spy Sweeper for making sure your computer is spotless clean.

Zlugugg Benvis

One of Freddy's beloved
Glacier said:
My account just got hacked: someone logged in and stole 4 plat and changed game password,,,
i have no password in my Hotmail inbox and i have never recieved any files Via IRC quakenet or anywhere else for that matter... :touch:

And if ya have a traded/bought acc I would be very suspicious to the previus owner.

Cathul

Fledgling Freddie
Download email with secure pop3, delete email on server. Secure your local computer by putting on all available patches, close all unecessary services. Case closed.

/Cathul

Brunore

Fledgling Freddie
Well you would think that people would use common sense.

Hotmail is shit, always has been and always will be.

If you use it, tough shit if you get hacked, use your brain and use a REAL email address for important info.

I guess common sense isnt that common.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's very easy to blame hotmail for 'ooo my account got hacked' issues, but the bottom line is that the vast majority of hacked accounts come about from people breaking the coc by sharing their details or breaking the coc by selling their account. Blaming hotmail only gives those who fuck up their own accounts by breaking the coc another excuse to use.

Sorry if that seems unsympathetic to the few genuine hacked cases, but I am only stating the facts.

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
Sorry if that seems unsympathetic to the few genuine hacked cases, but I am only stating the facts.
"stating the facts".... to be honest I have never seen anyone blame hotmail for getting their account hacked except for these few cases which actually were because of hotmail.

I had 1 (one) e-mail from GOA in my inbox from hotmail, I don't use that e-mail address for my important stuff so there was no way that hacker would ever find any account details there. The one e-mail I had in my inbox was from a character deletion incident and had nothing to do with account details or anything, but the hacker did make use of it by replying to it (replying to RightNow messages? what a dumb ****) in extremely bad english asking to "re-sent my account details". Well I got my account details sent again, just not to the hotmail inbox.

Luckily we had a guildmate remove his account details from his inbox too later that day, because his hotmail got hacked too, and was very close to losing a account with a rr9+ char to a hacker...

Sadly the hacker did get a few other people (Lucias, etc.)

Cyfr

Banned
Still theres no evidence it was hotmail that are to blame. If someone gained acess to your machine they could have used any email provider.

Gamah

Banned
Sycho said:
Kemor has handled my situation very well i would like to thank him a lot and hope this bastard hacker stays away from my daoc account although he hack my hotmail one earlier :(

Guys if you see anyone suspicious please tell a member of E&E right away!

We have to rid this crap from such a good game.

Kemor can't even be arsed to reply to my E-mails..im getting well pissed off! I have played daoc for over 2 years and I can't get an ounce of customer service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom