Erm...

S

shabazz

:D

I have the following system:

Athlon 700

etc etc

I'm getting ADSl soon.

Not sure if its VIA (but ive heard all athlons are via - i dunno. Im gonna use that sandra tingy later tonight- ill post what it tells me)

So, can i expect to get some major problems?

It's not a problem if this is the case - i have an old Pent 200 which i might use as the server anyway (read, which im planning to do over the summer)

But, ONO said hes on an AMD(t-bird i think), and has had no probs. - but thats not exactly the same as my athlon.....

Hmmm, i guess time will tell.

And no, dont say "get a cable modem". If i could, I would :D

And Yes, I prefer AMD's :p

T

Testin da Cable

/me prods Shabazz :)

you mean probs wiv dsl or what?

S

shabazz

heh sorry wrote that at uni :D

(I'm after info on possible probs with adsl and my computer)

:D

right, from that proggy (using mainboard information) I seem to have a microstar motherboard. So i guess this means i dont have a VIA one.....

So, does this mean (if i ever get a conformation) that when I plug ol ADSL into the USB port it wont melt my computer?

(i.e. probs with it shutting down USB etc)
-------------------------------
This is better then TDC ? :D

W

WPKenny

The problem is that the USB modem is drawing too much current from the USB port (over 500mA) and so the computer goes "fuck this for a game of cricket" and decides it doesn't want to let it work any more. Normally happens after around 24 of on time from what I've heard.

L

luap

Solution to that is an externally powered USB hub. About £20

O

old.RookieWan

Or get a ethernet modem, if that's still an option.
Got my DSL modem hooked up to a Linux firewall/ router via a 3com 509 10 Mbit card and it's providing the gateway for my gaming machine. It's like having an active ADSL modem :)
Very stable ping.

D

Dr_Gonzo

Most of the problem's I've noticed with the USB modem (apart from the joy of it's security) seem to happen with the KT7 board, which just has b0rked usb. However, a nice powered hub sorts them all right out.

S

shabazz

ohhhhh

I've just found a nice externally powered USB hub lying about (what are the chances of that? :D)

Now i was planning to route the usb through an old machine (a p200 MMX - Mostly More Xpensive). Would anyone see any problems with this?

It doesnt have a usb port, but I've gotta buy one anyways.

So if i had the ADSL plugged into the USB hub, which then went into the USB PCI card on the 200, which would then act as a gatway for 2 machines, would anyone see any potential problems with it?

This box will be solely running as a server - nothing else will be running on it. It will be able to run linux or 98 no probs. Anything above 98 isnt really that great for a 200 (only 48mb ram), but i think 98 (for a networking box is kinda wanky - read i really really dont wanna) I've got 2000 here anyway, so i might try that..

S

shabazz

put 2000 on and its class :D

--------------------------

Does anyone know if standard networking cable would work when plugged into an adsl port (i.e. instead of the given wire)?

Ive tried network cable with my isdn and thats fine.

reason why:

The adsl will be getting installed downstairs - near the old comp (server) which i will connect through. If i wanted to use the adsl upstairs I'm guessing that i could plug the current network cable into the adsl socket, bring the modem upstairs, plug the other end of the network cable in, and use it upstairs (therefore making it the only comp on the net)

This works with ISDN, and ive been told that they use the same cable.

Correct me if im wrong :D

Addition - i will usually connect over the network, but will want to be able to use solely upstairs incase the old comp dies or summin - meaning i wont be using the network - just the wire. If u get me.

[Edited by shabazz on 06-05-01 at 13:01]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom