Enthusiasm.

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
I've recently made a new character - a magic-using type - and am levelling it up the hard way, all the way from 1. I'm currently at 15, and slowly but steadily xp'ing my way up.

Today I grouped briefly with a rare phenomenon: a new player. He'd somehow managed, I kid you not, to get from 1 to 15 without actually finding out about that whole 'combat styles' thing. He played a hybrid character, and had somehow managed to muddle through getting his spells set up, but every fight he was going at it unstyled. I pointed out to him how to set up styles on quickbars, and how to line them up('first press the situational one - like your block style - then an anytime style, so that if your situational requirements aren't met, you'll do the anytime instead'), and he got so enthusiastic, I couldn't help but sit and smile. When he figured out, all by himself, that the same principles applied for Guard and Protect abilities, he got so proud it was almost embarrassing.

After the fact, though, I keep coming back to this:

Wouldn't it be nice if we could be that enthusiastic about the game again?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
1-20 was fun the first time around :) you got new toys every other level. New monsters to kill...

It's not as thrilling when you know what comes next :)

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
reminds of the day when i found out about auto-run ... at lvl43 or so :clap:

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
It would be great to relive those days, born in Galplen fresh and new, the music echoing deep from the forest beyond, changing as I drew my likkle sword and swung it at the first mob....

Five seconds later I was asking how I stop being dead.

Its great to see new blood finally in the game, and not from ebay either.

It would also be great if more newbies knew of /advice, we like to help :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i love new players, u group at level 5 and die and everyone laughs, you try do that now with an existing player and die at level 5 they will be like YOU FUCKIN IDIOT YOUR WIPIN US OUT YOU N00B

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Bless the little new fella. I remember giving 50 gold to a newbie in Vasud some months back and he told me he wanted to be a big Skald like me :)

Brought a tear to my eye :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Think i lost that first enthusiasm when i had dinged my first 50, or maybe when i started reading and relying on guides and other web resources etc. But it has since been replaced by a different kind of enthusiasm - the focus has shifted from strict character progression to the social aspects of the game, and to experimenting with all the different things the game has to offer.
Still a great game that gives much enjoyment, most of the time anyway ;)

Have also tried other mmorpgs since daoc but it seems that youthfull enthusiasm will not return. Maybe some radical change in the way these games play would be needed for that since they are, in essence, all the same (altho daoc does offer more variety than most others cause of the rvr system).

Anyway, its nice that there are still people starting out new in daoc :)

Litmus

Resident Freddy
my thane was in leather armour up intil around lvl14, quite funny now looking back :)

would be fun to be a noob again :p

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
I'm still a noob tbh! :D
Can I have 5s for horseticket? :D

Very nice post! best one here sofar. (maybe 'cept for Dear diary tho :D )
Got very nostalgic all of the sudden! :)

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Aww...this thread brought a smile to my face. :) I can't wait for the next 'big game' so I can regain that child-like innocence as I venture out for the first time. :D

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
One of the golden moments of this game today :)

Me too long for those days when every day you logged in was an adventure :)

(Sentimental sob is soon coming)

rivan

Fledgling Freddie
i remember when i rolled my first caster, way back when, i was given a staff that added 50 levels to my spells, by a guy named kricksarn (sp)! ofc it was a focus staff, but i thought i was casting spells as if i was i was a level 50!

i also remember being confused that was i was spending points in rc and getting spells in all 3 lines.

i remember killing pooks on atla beach and by the pookstone. such fun!

good times

:)

Sage

Fledgling Freddie
lol I have wayyy to many of those sort of stories to admit to. But my favorite is when I was lvl 20ish and learned about buying back con.. weee that was VERY expensive! But I did notice I lived a lot longer after that ;)

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Great post!!

I brought quite a lot of my friends to DAOC and I think seeing their enthusiasm on their faces was one of the reasons I did!

To answer topicstarters question: Yes we need this enthusiasm back in the game ... maybe TOA will make us feel like n00bs again ... for about 2 days untill we see the first powergamers walk around with artifacts and we start reading guides to get them ourselves... :worthy:

nick

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
the focus has shifted from strict character progression to the social aspects of the game, and to experimenting with all the different things the game has to offer.

I often get over-enthusiastic when I c6 :(

The good old days.. Ahhh I still remember distributing my first points on both thrust and slash as an infiltrator and swapping weapons depending on the weather.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
N00bs are luvley.
A funny thing is when you give them money they don't know how much it is.
Witch remids me that a friend of mide (Glacier) once gave a newb 1 plat, and the he asked if it was much. Heh, Glac tried to strangle the newb though the monitor. :D

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
A guildy made a chanter and levelled him to 36. I grouped with him and noticed something odd when he got aggro. He would just run around so I asked him "Why don't you qc stun?". "Whats qc?". "You know, quickcast". "What's that?". LOL. :eek6:

PS. Sorry 2 :)

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
Korax said:
N00bs are luvley.
A funny thing is when you give them money they don't know how much it is.
Witch remids me that a friend of mide (Glacier) once gave a newb 1 plat, and the he asked if it was much. Heh, Glac tried to strangle the newb though the monitor. :D
1 plat is sod all in EQ :)

Nyssa

Fledgling Freddie
Aaah the good old days. I remember when I was new, a (also new I reckon now) cleric came to me telling me I had to restore my con...

"My what?"

Then he told me a high level cleric could do that for me :D Seemed to me he was very experienced, at that time ;) So I started running around clicking on all characters to find a purple cleric :D

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
rivan said:
i also remember being confused that was i was spending points in rc and getting spells in all 3 lines.

Haha, that confused the hell out of me for first few levels. I was also big on tanking with SM but then I'd figured the points I'd put in Str would make me a good stick-hitter. About lvl20 or so I knew I should probably delete Roo and do it properly but, what the hey :)

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Couldn't agree more, Margaret (BTW get yerself back to Mid/Excal NOW! We're going to want you along in TOA)...a bunch of guys from my work have started playing DAOC now, and they seem to be really getting into it. It's really nice to see how fresh it all is to them.

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:
reminds of the day when i found out about auto-run ... at lvl43 or so :clap:

haha lvl 20 or so :cheers: was best moment of my life :D (i couldn´t afford horses)

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
I got so damn jealous of a friend who started daoc when Ive been in daoc for ages.
he asked bout anything like what that do etc.

I think I had most fun in beta.
then when leveling my merc to around 30 then solo to bout 40

nowadays its just same old

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Laston said:
haha lvl 20 or so :cheers: was best moment of my life :D (i couldn´t afford horses)

I think I was in my first 4s when I figured out u could que styles.
I always used reflexes to land prequisite styles before that :eek7:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom