England Win The Ashes !!

Kerith

Fledgling Freddie
Grats !!!, superb innings from a south african wins it for england, LONG LIVE ENGLISH CRICKET !!

Kerith

Fledgling Freddie
lol classic quote from channel4 news ' it aint over till the fat bowler spins'...

3 australians gonna be sorely missed :s gg warny mcgrath and richie benaud

TeaSpoon

Fledgling Freddie
I thought we were doomed earlier, but my hero, and namesake helped us on our way!

Great effort by the King of Spain!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
KP and his nutz of steel :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Two Aussies in our office were convinced they'd win at lunchtime. Bloody glad they didn't.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Started new job today.

TV in the break room ! And boy was that a busy room today !

Darzil

Glorien

Fledgling Freddie
When I saw Flintoff go out I thought it was all over as Pietersen wasn't in the best form - however, I'm very pleased I was wrong :p

Well played by both teams and looking forward to the next time the two teams meet again

Draypor

Fledgling Freddie
aye was awsome :clap:
i just thought they were gonna bottle it when freddy went, we would have a few years ago
unlucky auzzies, best series ever imo :worthy:

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
i was tempted to start this thread when pietersen got to 100.. but then thought.. shane warne.. glenn mcgrath.. langer/hayden/gilchrist.. tohught better of it.. hehe

wonderful incredible hitting by pietersen and giles.. was amazing stuff to see every single run cheered by peeps not even in the ground but risking their lives by being up places like the roof of nearby flats, etc..

easily the best series of cricket i have ever seen. been absolutely brilliant all the way though.

australia are now the ones who have to rebuild.. gonna lose 2 of the greatest cricketers of all time in warne and mcgrath.. i reckon england are gonna hold those ashes for a while now. bell will flourish, pietersen already has.

what made me sad about this last day of an incredible test series was tho.. was the fact the richie benaud wont be commentating next time these two teams meet. fantastic player.. and prolly the best commentator the game has ever known :) will be a miss to our ears. ofc we have geoff boycott.. who is hilarious coz of his completely biased view for england winning and his stunning put downs of crap shots.. but richie will always be the voice of cricket. and what a series to retire on eh?

the best series richie benaud said he has ever seen.. and this dude has been commentating for 42 years. best i've ever seen. i very much doubt anything is even gonna come close in the next.. erm.. million years.

those peeps who say cricket is boring should get the forthcoming dvd to be released by channel 4. it is history. the greatest test match series ever. how could u not own it?

BARMY ARMY! BARMY ARMY! (yes even the crowd where amazing!)

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
ok.. i know i've just given my gernal response to england regaining the ashes.. but wanted to keep this seperate.

the spirit of how the series was played was EXCEPTIONAL!.

cricket aint everyone's cup of tea.. i know that.. but.. there's that moment in 2nd test.. where flintoff.. rahter than going mad and jumping for joy for a win.. goes straight to brett lee and consoles him for a VERY brave attempt to save.. even win game.

u wont see that in any other sport. u prolly wont ever see the respect shown by both sides for each other in any sport in your lifetime.

ofc i wanted to see england win ashes yeah.. but i tell u what.. i have a LOT of respect for the way that warne, lee, kaspravic, mcgrath played.. but what made this series so close was not just thier bowling.. which was amazing.. but the way they batted too.. they NEVER gave up hope.

this wasnt the greatest series ever coz engand won.. hell no.. it was the greatest coz of the respect, sportsmanship, and brilliant play.

be warned pakistan and india :) u gonna get a hiding hehe

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah - but hey thanks for such a brilliant summer of cricket. I never saw such exciting games before in me life. Well done on teh Ashes. :cheers: :worthy:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This entry from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - inturnet edition sums this little "sport" up rather nifty:

Cricket is a sport invented by the British during the height of their Earth empire. One of the biggest challenges involved in running an empire is to figure out how to look busy without actually doing anything, and cricket was a brilliant solution to the problem, almost as good as golf.

The game is of course very complicated. It undoubtedly takes a lifetime to master the game of cricket, because the first match you ever play is statistically unlikely to end before you are dead.

Unlike its mutant younger son, baseball, cricket seems to be optimized for maximum frustration. In a single match, good cricket players are regularly expected to score dozens of "runs", while even great baseball players rarely manage more than three. Thus, the potential for embarrassing failure is maximized in cricket. Similarly, a baseball player who hits five "home runs", even in a losing effort, can be confident that he did the best he could. High-scoring cricket players, on the other hand, have to wait for hours or days to see if their effort was enough to win -- and the losing team must then wonder, for the rest of their lives, if they couldn't have done more.

-By Myrmidon
Researcher Number: 29351

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
you can tell how boring it is by the fact that whenever they show the crowd half of them are either asleep or reading the paper.

glad we won though :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
old.Tohtori said:
Cricket is a sport invented by the British during the height of their Earth empire.

Completely wrong! For you education please see link below

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ABOUT_CRICKET/HISTORY/

Small extract from above link.

The origins of cricket lie somewhere in the Dark Ages – probably after the Roman Empire, almost certainly before the Normans invaded England, and almost certainly somewhere in Northern Europe. All research concedes that the game derived from a very old, widespread and uncomplicated pastime by which one player served up an object, be it a small piece of wood or a ball, and another hit it with a suitably fashioned club.

TeaSpoon

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
you can tell how boring it is by the fact that whenever they show the crowd half of them are either asleep or reading the paper.

What crowd were you watching? Everyone I could see was jumping up and down shouting!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Hawkwind said:
Completely wrong! For you education please see link below

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ABOUT_CRICKET/HISTORY/

Small extract from above link.

The origins of cricket lie somewhere in the Dark Ages – probably after the Roman Empire, almost certainly before the Normans invaded England, and almost certainly somewhere in Northern Europe. All research concedes that the game derived from a very old, widespread and uncomplicated pastime by which one player served up an object, be it a small piece of wood or a ball, and another hit it with a suitably fashioned club.

its the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, its not real (or is it?)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
TeaSpoon said:
What crowd were you watching? Everyone I could see was jumping up and down shouting!

cricket in general.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Raven said:
its the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, its not real (or is it?)

I thought he was trying to be funny, it was made up wasn't it?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Raven said:
cricket in general.

You have obvioulsy never been and watched a game. Great fun and lots of beer. I miss it, being out in the desert now.

Hampshire used to tour the County and play at different grounds before they built the Rose Bowl. The local ground was opposite my house and it used to be a fantastic week skiving off work early and drinking copious amounts of beer. Whilst watching the cricket and chatting to mates. Usually a BBQ/Hog Roast to follow.

Its probably an age thing though, whatever floats your boat. I'm getting too old now to get the skateboard out. Still surf, boogie board and wake board so not totally dead just yet though ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Hawkwind said:
I thought he was trying to be funny, it was made up wasn't it?

tis be true. It from the hitchhiker webbie, not to be taken seriosly, but with a light hearted giggle or a laughter when found tickling the laughter-nerve in ze brain.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol aww seel you can tickle my nerve any day :fluffle:

cant say as im a cricket fan but my bf is and seeing as i find cricket far less obnoxious than football (not having a go, its just my presonal opionion) i actually watched some of the ashes, didnt really understand them but that ump with the bendy fingers made me laugh.

well done to the brits for winning and the ozzys for being good sports, have to ask though does anyone knowif that was a replica ashes urn that flintof lobbed to his buddy or the real one cos my bf almost had a heart faliure when he saw him do it hehehehe.

and p.s LOL @ the ashes trophy!! bless its sooo ikkle!!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Ezteq said:
have to ask though does anyone knowif that was a replica ashes urn that flintof lobbed to his buddy or the real one cos my bf almost had a heart faliure when he saw him do it hehehehe.

and p.s LOL @ the ashes trophy!! bless its sooo ikkle!!

The real one never leaves the glass trophy cabinet of the MCC. It was a replica which is awarded to the winning team each Ashes Series

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/BY_OPPONENT/AUS-ENG/HISTORY/

inline
http://usa.cricinfo.com/perl/picture.cgi/049601/inline?alt=1

In affectionate remembrance of English cricket which died at The Oval, 29th August, 1882. Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances, RIP. NB The body will be cremated and the Ashes taken to Australia."

Australia’s first victory on English soil over the full strength of England, on August 29, 1882, inspired a young London journalist, Reginald Shirley Brooks, to write this mock “obituary’’. It appeared in the Sporting Times.

Before England’s defeat at The Oval, by seven runs, arrangements had already been made for the Hon. Ivo Bligh, afterwards Lord Darnley, to lead a team to Australia. Three weeks later they set out, now with the popular objective of recovering the Ashes. In the event, Australia won the First Test by nine wickets, but with England winning the next two it became generally accepted that they brought back the Ashes.

It was long believed that the real Ashes – a small urn thought to contain the ashes of a bail used in the third match – were presented to Bligh by a group of Melbourne women. In 1998, Lord Darnley’s 82-year-old daughter-in-law said they were the remains of her mother-in-law’s veil, not a bail. Other evidence suggests a ball. The certain origin of the Ashes, therefore, is the subject of some dispute. After Lord Darnley’s death in 1927, the urn was given to MCC by Lord Darnley’s Australianborn widow, Florence. It can be seen in the cricket museum at Lord’s, together with a red and gold velvet bag, made specially for it, and the scorecard of the 1882 match.

Zede

Part of the furniture
its a small urn !

what ashes were they from, a gerbil ?

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:

you lie, most were excited and stuff, all day bar as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom