Engineering Project

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
I have been asked by my lecturer to create a launcher and a missile from 2 sticks of balsa wood, one elastic band, some balsa cement, some string, 2 cocktail sticks and a A4 sheet of card. The design cant be a bow/crossbow/catapult. Also the energy has to come from the elastic band.

Any advice, im thinking about making a spinning top design.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Sorry, I've only ever made them out of washing up liquid bottles and sticky back plastic.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
My brother did something like that once...mebbe I could ask him.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
That would be good please sissy

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
not sure if this would actualy work but here goes:

build a tower, ontop of it make a cylinder with the elastic band as axle, put a toothpick thru the midlle of the cylinder.
Attact a piece of wire to the outside of the cylinder, now if you wind the cylinder up and release it the wire will be wheeld in hpopefully fast enough to launh the rocket

kinde like a sailplane launce system
http://www.yorksoaring.com/whatissoaring/wis4.html

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I was thinking a similar system. Use the two balsa sticks as uprights (like the frame of a guillotine). Take the A4 paper, and create a cylinder with it (like a toilet roll). Create an axle with some left-over balsa, and pin it in place with one of the cocktail sticks. Rest the cylinder on top of the balsa frame (you would have to create holes, or notches, to hold it in place). Wrap the elastic around the cylinder, in a spiral pattern, and fix one end to the frame, and the other to the cylinder. If you let the cylinder go, it should spin like mad, but will stay in the frame. Then attach one end of the string to the rocket (don't permanently fix it, just attach it to a fin with a small loop), and the other to the cylinder. Wrap the string around the cylinder, so that when you let it go, it spins, and the string is pulled upwards, releasing the rocket.

You could make a ramp for the rocket with some of the A4 card.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
My brother suggested using the elastic band to strangle your lecturer so he doesn't set anymore useless experiments. :x

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Sissyfoo said:
My brother suggested using the elastic band to strangle your lecturer so he doesn't set anymore useless experiments. :x

lol

Kurik

Fledgling Freddie
Sissyfoo said:

lmao :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom