Energy sources

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
What about the nuclear waste?

Fast breeder nuclear reactors actually produce a fraction of the nuclear waste that this generation of the nuclear reactors produce, as it creates more fuel than it consumes... the waste that is produced has a very short half-life.

Fast breeder reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think there is a misconseption within the general public as they think of early nuclear reactor designs instead of the far more efficient and safe designs of today.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
I'm all for hemp as an alternative fiber to cotton and trees for paper, and as a source for biofuel, but one thing I wonder though: if you're driving behind a hemp biofuel using car, will you become stoned? :p
Because then we can use the excuse:
Police man: "Have you been smoking sir?"
Driver: "No sir, but I have been driving behind that vehicle that smelled like a marijuana grower..."

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Has anyone mentioned 100 quadzillion hamsters in wheels?
hamsterpower1.jpg

Lethul

FH is my second home
What pisses me off tho is certain companies that tries to come off as environmental friendly with water power plants that kills off entire streams. :(

Zenith

Part of the furniture
I think geothermal is going to be a huge future energy source, giving it does actually get the support and research needed.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I agree, the heat from beneath should be harnessed in a larger scale.

In Sweden, where people are so anal about nuclear power... simply build a underground nuclear power plant. If something goes crap, ti's easy to contain.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
The funny thing is, there is actually a lot of research done on geothermal power, giving potential proof of giving us enough energy to last us a few thousand years. Still people are fucking building coal plants

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The funny thing is, there is actually a lot of research done on geothermal power, giving potential proof of giving us enough energy to last us a few thousand years. Still people are fucking building coal plants

All you have to do is look at iceland. No more research needed :D

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Best solution would probably be a GRID system where every house contributes to the national grid (solar panels, wind turbines etc), the issue would be storing the energy.
Batteries and such nowadays still produce toxic waste so aren't really environmentally friendly
While not a complete solution it makes the production needed from other sources far less.

Offices etc.. need to be made more efficient, for example the HP building in London is heated using the heat waste from the server room in the basement.
At work our new server room will be below student halls, it will heat the halls as well as using ambient cooling (cold air from outside is pumped into the server room if it is cold enough outside, e.g. at night time) reducing the need for air conditioning.

Imagine if these huge glass offices were covered in solar panels (they are translucent nowadays) rather than reflective high def glass how much energy it would produce. But the cost of the panels is so high it isn't cost effective.

They should be spending all the money on developing these technologies and subsidising businesses to implement them rather than wasting money on 'reducing co2 emissions'

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Have you seen the cost of panels and turbines? Especially when Uncle Gordon is binning the the subsidies.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Chronictank said:
Imagine if these huge glass offices were covered in solar panels (they are translucent nowadays) rather than reflective high def glass how much energy it would produce. But the cost of the panels is so high it isn't cost effective.

:p heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom