empty servers

O

old.robertjackson1

hope people still keep playing. At least until a charge is intoduced. I will stop then. For now, the servers are all there: just empty!!!

O

old.Dreadnought

no1 can be bothered with this new BW shit.... ad im one of them..

i wud prefer the new jolt ones, or the SFI ones, i just think BW is making a mistake doing this for EF of all communities... feck em!

O

old.Lordy RAA

well I have the software and if I see someone on BW I might join in. Haven't seen many though :( only Monty and =R= Heini

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Dreadnought
no1 can be bothered with this new BW shit.... ad im one of them..

i wud prefer the new jolt ones, or the SFI ones, i just think BW is making a mistake doing this for EF of all communities... feck em!

so despite STILL having no charge to use, you can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds downloading a single program you click once before you start playing? Wow!

O

old.SHY-FX

Dreads a lazy cunt, he cant even be arsed playing when hes in a server or is that what he calls playing? :p

E

Embattle

Originally posted by [CLF]Stevo
Jolt are lower pinged anyway.

What a stupid statement...although quite typical. It depends on location etc etc...oh who can be bothered with you.

Scooba Da Bass is right. You lot seem to think you're important and that BW will fail without the Ef community...you would be wrong.

O

old.[CLF]Stevo

Fact is they are lower pinged to me and most of my clan mates who live in various parts of the UK.

And you are a cheeky git.

W

wadada

ptak some more code language from waddy

nah we not think we are important, altough we are important everyone is important, barrysworld thinks they are important and that everyone is gonna install there software and fuck up our browser maybe , people allready have gamespy3D ( paid ) or another piece of software and now we also must have some barrybar in our IE browser what if everyone come with something like that ( a ewetelbar, a pope'sbar a whatever bar , we allready have something that find the servers not come with something that is allready there ) hmm my poor computer. and no one say BW will fail without ef community, you talk shit just as widdy, we or some of us only say this is shit and that they not wanna pay, the game is old now, ef 2 is soon coming ,there are also more games and now after a few years you want us to pay, offcourse you need money to pay your people and servers, equipment and everything but find another way and not do it like this.

w
a
d
a
d
a

T

TedTheDog

Heh, he IS a cheeky git, but that why we wub him so....

Anyway, Ping has always been and always will be a key element of gaming, and it will always be something that varies from person to person. We've spent a vast pile of cash implementing a network we can be proud of, but we can never ever cater for everyone.
When we had our own Dialup, 3 hops from the servers, some people still complained about their pings. Theres so many things that can affect it. Thats life. We'll do our best, some people will get good pings, some people will get bad. We'll do what we can with what we've got.
By the way, I once managed a system remotely and I had a 14400 modem at the other end which, slow to start with, managed to get slower and slower. After weeks of swearing about it, I flew to Glasgow and reaplced the modem and someone back home to test it. Still crap. Got BT in and, in the end they found that Rats had eaten the coating of the wires as they entered our building and the resistance had gone to shit as a result. New cable, rats poisoned, everything peachy.
I'll lay down some rat poison in our comms room and see if your pings improve.

By the way, we've got a team meeting tomorrow, and we'll certainly discuss the Mary Celeste STV:EF servers and see if anyone has any bright ideas.

I dont have an argument with the idea that people wont use our servers if they have to logon. Its personal choice. I do object to the way some people say it though, like we've stolen something from them that was rightfully theirs. The servers, bandwidth and management time involved in running just the STV:EF servers amount to well over £10k in the first year, and yet so many people seem disgusted we could even consider charging for them.

Not wanting to pay for something is human nature of course, but condemning the company for charging anything at all is bizarre and something that probably only happens on the internet.
In a few years time we'll all look back at this and laugh.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by [CLF]Stevo
Fact is they are lower pinged to me and most of my clan mates who live in various parts of the UK.

And you are a cheeky git.

Good then stay there then...don't think its that hard, btw I don't mean it in a horrible way but you moan about taking part in a trial and then run off to jolt yet keep moaning about what a pile of shit you've left behind :rolleyes:

wadada you talk too much shit and most of what you suggest or moan about has already been answered/debunked.

W

widdy

a few points.

1.Barrylogon doesn't mess up your browser it's just the barrybar

2.You don't have to install barrysbar,it's just an optional extra

3.P2P won't come in for ages yet,anyway in time most if not all hosted servers (apart from personal) will be P2P.No company has unlimited cash and the way the internet is going i doubt companies will want to advertise on gaming site sooner or later.(come on who actually visits banners????)

O

old.SHY-FX

Sorry Widdy, do you work for BW or are you just part of BWEFL like I was when it started a long time ago?

T

TedTheDog

Banner advertising is a waste of time. You've probably noticed that we dont bother with selling our own banner space and keep it for our own stuff. Only 1 commercial banner on it is a sponsor of some of our leagues. I remember the days when you could get £25 for showing 1000 banners. Now companies only actually pay for click-thrus (when someone clicks a banner) and then they pay peanuts.

I dont think asking someone to logon for free is too much to ask, to use our servers, and BarryLogon facilitates that nicely.
That said, I do think we could've introduced it better.
It was always likely to piss off the community to a degree, but we were so resigned to our fate that I dont think we did it as well as we could've.
I would LOVE to win back the community to our servers, and I would LOVE to make enough money to pay for the servers too.
Its a sad fact of life that those 2 things are rather hard to bring together.

W

widdy

nah just part fo bwefl.I've been with this tech trial since it was first brought to light,I've seen and heard this all on the TT thread.I got the message almost straight away but unfortunatly "some" people just can't be bothered to listen.

tbh I had pretty much the same oppinion of it at first till I was told why it had to be brought in.I agreed that I would try this out and found out (apart from the barrybar problem) that it's not a great deal of effort to set it all up.
I'm sure if I (being the lamer,liar,asshole etc etc that I am "supposed" to be) can manage to set it up and be willing to take part in this trial why the heck can't everyone else?

Sorry,I'm just trying to get a few thing straight for the people who seem not to be able to understand what this is all about.

O

old.kirkslovechild

thanks ted

ted,
it is good to see you getting involded,
i've been told in the past people cant figure what im trying to say so please bare with me,;)
ive played on Barrysworld for 2 years since its started
under my other name LegsWideOpen.
please understand what has been going on here,
a cycle formed in the EF gamplay for months people were so hacked off with the same maps even after the Addon pack (
which i know was pants) nothing changed whatsoever
same maps,in the meantime i got playing various other Quake 3 games,these have been kept fresh with updates and just changing things,the sad fact is a lot of people were fed up before this.
because of my disablities i dont get out hardly ever to be honest (apart from odd trip to marks and spencers! ;)
joke on another thread!hehe) i personally would not mind paying for the service if i felt it was worth paying for,
Util Eliteforce 2 comes out i would love to see
fresh air pumped into the game to make me want to pay for the service,i know its been said paying for it might not happen
for a while but the fact is paying is going to become reality.
i know i may be of only a tiny few who think this but i would love other skins to be able to play
there are skins out there that make the "official" ones
look to amature.
its the timing and the way its been handled i feel
has let BW down.
again thank you for at least posting here
Andy

E

Embattle

TBH P2P has been on the cards for ages and while the Tech Trial came out of blue I can see why perhaps giving information about earlier would of helped although by the general reaction I doubt it would of mattered.

O

old.Dreadnought

shy is a cheeky git !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes i cant be assed d/l this shit from BW, cos

a) jolt are better pinged to me
b) jolt have done more for their servers in 1 week than BW have in nearly 2 years, LOL !
c) i only prefer using gamespy, so fuck this other prog,
d) perhaps it will put em off p2p... so we wont have to have it ;)

e) shy sux...LoL

O

old.kirkslovechild

about shy :)

sorry shy if this sound's like butt kissing.
i know weve not spoken much online
but every single game ive ever played with you
has been a pleasure and not borning at all.
again hope you dont mind me saying this
but just think its true :)
LEGSWideOPEN
:clap:

O

old.[CLF]Stevo

It really isnt that hard to understand really. They need money. Money makes the world go round. I disagree with P2P but i cant do anything about it.

S

SpUnKyTh3MoNk3y

omfg...

Originally posted by Embattle
it won't.

but the servers r already empty ffs!!! :rolleyes:

right now there bw:ef servers have ONE person in them AND THEY R STILL FREE!!!

are u actually expecting that to get any better once p2p comes in?? really?

trying to put forward logical arguments for what has or has not happened is a waste of bandwidth. empty servers are empty servers. and empty servers dont make money any way i know of.

C

CAC

well i havnt played ef since JK2 came out however i have also noticed that 99% of the bw servers are usually (and i stress usually here) empty in ef.

however it is most difficult to find an empty server for JK2

so if people dont want to use your ef servers now and say they wont use them in the future if they have to pay why dont you throw a couple of these servers in JK2's direction and some to other games too

just a thought for you:puke:

l_o_b aka [JC]CrazyassCool

E

Embattle

Re: omfg...

Originally posted by SpunkyTheMonkey

but the servers r already empty ffs!!! :rolleyes:

right now there bw:ef servers have ONE person in them AND THEY R STILL FREE!!!

are u actually expecting that to get any better once p2p comes in?? really?

trying to put forward logical arguments for what has or has not happened is a waste of bandwidth. empty servers are empty servers. and empty servers dont make money any way i know of.

Use your brain....BW are not using bandwidth when no one is on them however while it is sad they don't get used even in the Tech Trial stage the fact remains they can be decreased in number. However now with BW looking to a more business future there would be the possibility of using GAME as an outlet to pimp BW and imho I no doubt this will happen at some time, GAME didn't buy them for nothing.

The fact also remains that even before the Tech Trial a good number of the servers were left empty and trying to blame the Tech Trial, which is free, is a little hollow.

C

[CLF]picard17

You really dont get it do you, its the tech trial thats killed EF here nuthin else just that 1 simple little thing as i said it would at the begining.Now i see the vultures decending to pick the bones.

"so if people dont want to use your ef servers now and say they wont use them in the future if they have to pay why dont you throw a couple of these servers in JK2's direction and some to other games too "

Now the human race as a whole can be a very stuborn animal and when faced with change it dousent want ie the tech trial, most will inevitably balk at the idea of it as they have done.
Now on here i see a few ppl that are all for the tech trial fair play to them but bare in mind that the EF comunity doesent consist of just these few ppl.
What may look like a good idea in theory may not work in practice especially when throwing the human variable into the mix.
As it stands at the moment 95% of the comunity have thumbed there noses at you and gone else where, perhaps in the futer ideas coulde be put forward to the comunity and a meeting in the middle coulde be achived before killing said comunity outright. no one likes " you have to do this or....."
1 last point most profatable companys today " work with there customers".

Right i expect the flamers want to post now so thats all from me for the mo.
quote johnny the Human torch " flame on "

E

Embattle

I get it but its a shame you don't seem to understand why this has to happen or even willing to give it a go.

Yes most companies do work with there customers and BW has tried but this Tech Trial has to go a head and none of you are even willing to give it a go and also shows unwilling the EF community is to even install a tiny little app. As the name suggests, the Tech trial is designed to test technology which will help deliver P2P in the future....I don't think any one should be in any doubt that BW is heading in this direction, even before they went titsup last year it was planned.

You keep talking about the middle ground although you still don't have a suggestion although TBH what ever you think of its most probably already been thought of or dismissed as unworkable. The middleground for most the EF users seems to be...lets not move.

Yes this Tech trial seems killed off a lot of the remaining population of EF users, yes its sad, but then again the number of players had already been decreasing at a considerable rate before the Tech Trial, such as myself...FACT.

The real sad thing imho is that none of you really cared about BW at all any way since you can't even be bothered with something as simple as this Tech Trial and have, since it was announced, been determined to prove your point that the EF servers would empty by any means necessary.

At the end of the day it's your choice and if you prefer to play at jolt then fine there is nothing I can do about it and I doubt the good people at BW can do a great deal about it either....just stop acting like you've been hard done by.

O

old.Lordy RAA

ooohhhhhh 2 big posts :) I like that.
the number of players had already been decreasing at a considerable rate
uhmm no. decreasing rate had been slowed because off a reasonble increase of new players. For some odd reason I like to look at the number of players in all servers. They where always around 200 during the weekdays evening/night time and 240 weekends. Since the techtrial on tuesday and wednesday 160-170. Dont know thursday caus I was getting pissed.
Looking at the numbers yes we have been hard done by. Yes p2p will come and yes I have downloaded and used the logon program.
if you prefer to play at jolt
I dont really care where I play as long as it is not by myself.
FFA servers are often empty yes and this has been said often enough I think. Also some servers where not as full because of the map changes some people who couldn't be asked to download maps (?where have I seen that before) and others who only play the same maps, were reluctant to join those servers.
For other possibilities instead of the trial? have the potential customers been asked? As Ted said no and also said that was a mistake. The main problem now is that there is no real way back.

this Tech Trial has to go a head
a company cant force people to buy a product. If a product isn't sold the company has to find another product. It has to sell something to have a profit or survive.

I would like to know how it is going with the other games in trial.

Well I am of to go play with myself on a bw server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom