Question Employment law

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me out on my query.

I have been a temp at one company for almost 8 months. I did not go through an agency like a contractor, so I am paid direct from the company.

The problem is I get no benefits which full time employees receive, like holiday pay, health care, pension. But to add insult to injury, I don't earn more (like a contractor might) to off set not having these benefits.

Is there a time limit where they have to offer me a permanent position? I read somewhere that it's 2 years. I also read that they can end your contract after (example) 23 months, then hire you to re-start the 2 year clock.

I am glad to have a job, but for every day I have this setup, I lose out.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I think it is 12 months in the UK mate but I am not certain on that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Whinge about situation you agreed to and went into with open eyes (with the whinge probably resulting from jealousy arising from discussing how much you earn next to contractors)

Get a new job.

The only thing I feel kinda bad about for you is this:

I am glad to have a job

Don't feel grateful for the shit hand capitalism deals people. Everyone should both have and expect a job...

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Sorry scouse but you're assuming you know all about my situation. I was taken on as a temp, with the aim to be made permanent very soon. Now you could say I was naive, but I was looking for work for about a year so I had to jump at the chance.

Also just to add, the contract has been extended twice hence my frustration that I had not been made permanent. I'm good at the job as well. Statistically as well as peoples opinions at work.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Did you get a P60 a month or two ago? Do you get payslips every month where they take national insurance and income tax off ? If so, you're PAYE and you're entitled to a minimum 25 days paid holiday per year (earned as you go, so 2.5abit days per month).

AFAIK a company can't force you to sell your days off, either.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
yeah i got a p60. I submit a timesheet eat week, but get a pay slip from them each month. Will ask HR about this as I've had a week off and never got paid for it

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yep if you are PAYE you are entitled to legal minimums, regardless of contract status.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Ok gonna contact my boss and HR tomorrow as I have next week booked off and don't wanna lose money if I don't have to.

Thanks for the help all

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
yeah i got a p60. I submit a timesheet eat week, but get a pay slip from them each month. Will ask HR about this as I've had a week off and never got paid for it

Just remember who HR works for and which party it is their job to protect m8... :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Just remember who HR works for and which party it is their job to protect m8... :)

Ring ACAS in advance, write down what they tell you and quote them on it to HR. They will shit a brick.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Ring ACAS in advance, write down what they tell you and quote them on it to HR. They will shit a brick.

Dont antagonise until you have to. Pissing off your employer is never a good idea.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Yeah as a temp I don't want to rock the boat too hard and not get it renewed lol.
Thanks all for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom