Help Emergency AGP Graphics Cards needed

xane

Fledgling Freddie
My nVidia GF 6600 GT has always been loud, but recently the fan has been making very funny noises, so I guess its on its way out.

I need a quick replacement, must be an AGP card, I'm not buying a new mobo at this stage.

Any suggestions, a pointer to a web site, something a bit more powerful than the 6600 GT would be nice, but not breaking the bank ?

TIA

Lethul

FH is my second home
might be a stupid question, but why not replace the cooler on your card?

Kryten

Old Cow.
The ebay one listed is rather good, but you should be able to pick up a second hand one for half that price.
The only AGP spares I've got are a couple of Quadro FX based cards, which I suspect would be slightly slower than your 6600 is currently.

If you do decide to go new though, look at the AGP ATI series (x1950 f ex), they're the best bang for the buck for that platform.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've got a 2600 XT AGP in this and its great. Stonking IQ and certainly has more grunt than the fried 9800 Pro it replaced. Think it was 60 quid from OCUK and The Orange Box is smooth as silk on my P4 2.8.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for replies.

Unfortunately AGP X1950s are "hens teeth" category right now.

I had to opt for an ATi HD 2600 Pro 512MB AGP in the end, got it for around £65 inc VAT & P&P. I wasn't really prepared to go over £70.

It's only a stop-gap until I upgrade, mind, I've been saying I'll upgrade for around 2 years now !

Still only running an AMD 3200+ :(

Yaka

Part of the furniture
is the gfx layout the same as6800gt? ive got the heatsink for it still i think some where

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom