SPAM Embattle; internet & being there.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Continued from other thread so it's not derailed more(as per request);

It is what people make of it, what has become plainly obvious over the years is people are quite happy to use the excuse it is full of shit to justify adding more.

I don't think it's about sh*t advocating sh*t, but anonymity advocating anonymity and as such, you don't have to act as "human". What was meant by "FH is still the internet" is that the attachment to this place shouldn't cloud our judgement that this place is still a forum on the internet like any other, so anonymity is strong in here too.

Now what does that have to do with it? It's rather simple, if you're still surprised by internet behaviour, you probably shouldn't go into the deeper parts of it. Hell, google will shock you. It's not just the net, anyone given the chance for a consequence free action will most likely take it, especially if noone would know you took it.

If we started pampering every comment, every remark, watching out that we don't offend that person and that person, because they think that their thing is more important then the 100k other things made fun of, then we wouldn't be saying anything beyond hello and bye.

So where's the line? At the moment, at a very random place since telling someone to go and die gets less reactions then what was said.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Not-sure-what-is-more-pointless,-hipsters-Or-this-thread.jpg

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I just took the discussion from other thread, where it was asked to stop as it was OT on it, and continued it as i A: wanted to answer and B: didn't want to continue there as it was frowned upon.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If the thread/topic doesn't interest you, don't click reply. Though your wife looks as lovely as ever.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
If the thread/topic doesn't interest you, don't click reply. Though your wife looks as lovely as ever.

I thought the whole point was freedom of speech on the internet and being able to deal with it w/o getting defensive, my mistake ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You should always just continue posting OT sh*t on threads and not try to be polite. Gotcha. Good that's cleared :p

Last edited:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Its really not rocket science and "the line" doesn't move around as much as you think. As far as I'm concerned there are only two things to consider;

1. Is the poster asking for genuine help? This is usually pretty easy to determine unless you're a moron.
2. Is the subject matter about someone the poster has an emotional connection to, and more importantly, can't defend themself? This is trickier, and context of the post is everything, but as a general rule don't have a pop at family unless the poster invites you to do so. I'd extend that approach to girlfriends etc but I acknowledge that's where the line starts to get really blurry.

Yes FH is still "the internet" and people have to have a thick skin but this is also a community; I'd be happy to call any of you a cunt in the pub in person, because I "know" you. I don't know your family so i wouldn't presume that level of over-familiarity.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Thing is that those two rules still vary depending on who is the poster, what the gender of the poster is and other general things like that and i'd dare say anyone can agree that the replies given aren't equal.

So if this person isn't part of the friendzone of the community, it's open duck season(rabbit season!) on them, no matter the line. And i'm not talking about myself, even if there's been a lot harsher things said and dismissed by 99% of the people. That's actually fine since i can take it without loss of sleep, but the whole point is that even with a facade of "general rules of decor", it only applies part of the time and depending on the situation.

I thought the whole point was freedom of speech on the internet and being able to deal with it w/o getting defensive, my mistake ;)

Didn't say anything about getting defensive, about getting over-offended is another thing ;)

If you want freedom of speech, it should be equal.

Last edited:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I regard lack of interest much more hurtful than the spite of the reply.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Thing is that those two rules still vary depending on who is the poster, what the gender of the poster is and other general things like that and i'd dare say anyone can agree that the replies given aren't equal.

I disagree. If they've registered on FH and aren't an adsales spambot, they're deserving of consideration, whether they've posted once or Toht-numbers of times. Male or female, young or old.

So if this person isn't part of the friendzone of the community, it's open duck season(rabbit season!) on them, no matter the line. And i'm not talking about myself, even if there's been a lot harsher things said and dismissed by 99% of the people. That's actually fine since i can take it without loss of sleep, but the whole point is that even with a facade of "general rules of decor", it only applies part of the time and depending on the situation.

I myself have said plenty of harsh things, not least to you ;), but the point is, it was directed at you, who is perfectly capable of giving as good as you get, not your family. I really think this is just common sense. I am fair game, my family are not, and if I came here asking for help in some manner, I'd expect help. If it was help for me directly, I'd expect a certain amount of trolling because you're all a shower of cunts, but if it was help where I was concerned for a family member I'd expect a serious response and the trolls can CTFOADOA. (For the record, I probably wouldn't ask on here if I had an issue, except, I do know there's actually a pretty broad skillset of people who hang about here, and chances are their opinion could help me validate a course of action, even if its only "go see a doctor".)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I disagree. If they've registered on FH and aren't an adsales spambot, they're deserving of consideration, whether they've posted once or Toht-numbers of times. Male or female, young or old.

i agree with that, what i was saying is that it's not so. It would be nice, but a unrealistic expectation perhaps.

I myself have said plenty of harsh things, not least to you ;), but the point is, it was directed at you, who is perfectly capable of giving as good as you get, not your family. I really think this is just common sense. I am fair game, my family are not, and if I came here asking for help in some manner, I'd expect help. If it was help for me directly, I'd expect a certain amount of trolling because you're all a shower of cunts, but if it was help where I was concerned for a family member I'd expect a serious response and the trolls can CTFOADOA. (For the record, I probably wouldn't ask on here if I had an issue, except, I do know there's actually a pretty broad skillset of people who hang about here, and chances are their opinion could help me validate a course of action, even if its only "go see a doctor".)

Ah right, i guess that's a fair point. One could say that not being able to defend the masscuntery is not ok, while personal masscuntery should be taken with open anus. But we also have to add to your above that you should acknowledge the risks if you talk of your hot sister, which brings me to the little caveat;

I'd still hold the view that it too changes from situation to situation, especially if babies are involved(parent rage is so sweet), which i don't like as those same rules of consideration should apply from infant to elderly, If they want to be considered valid. That's why i defended the baby comments, as

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
While I think FH is not the place to ask for advise on infant health (certainly not potential breathing problems!) there was no need for the piss taking and certainly not the manner of it.

ololol its the internets ololol doesn't really cut it as an excuse, unless the internet is new to you and you think its cool to hide behind anonymity. If you wouldn't way it to someone's face then you shouldn't say it on a forum.

Have a bit of respect, you aren't as anonymous as you think you are.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually you're more anonymous then you think, people behave suprisingly well regarding :p

I wasn't saying the excuse is the internet being the internet(i just said FH is still the itnernet so it's expected), i was saying that the rules change in a manner that raises other issues above others. Like babies, making babies are a lifechoice, so in that regards making fun of parents is more acceptable then making fun of gay people.

What would solve the whole thing is a simple respect for request(and enforcement), so if someone says "Not cool", it stops there, no rabble, but you can't get too pissy about it either as people can't watch every word.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
People do take their children very seriously, a guy I worked with asked me to scan his baby scan using the work scanner, when they were just new out and he didn't know how to use it, so I loaded it up and added two fuzzy devil horns for a laugh, he went fucking ballistic.

Embattle

FH is my second home
While I share the opinion of some people who've already commented let me make clear my anonymity isn't a reason to behave different from how I am in real life and certainly not to the asshat extent some people do while hiding behind anonymity, I also don't change my principles just because I happen to be online. You don't need your own children to have actually realised that it was definitely not a thread that you should be having a laugh in even if you think the person was wrong to post such a topic in the first place.

I'm also very thick skinned and excluding one forum related event with real life dishonesty nothing has irritated me on the BW/FH forums ever, although in turn that doesn't mean I just pass through threads without saying something if I find the content objectionable.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I agree with Embattle on this one. ( I think ).

This may be a rareity :p

Anyway, you dont take the piss out of peoples childrens illnesses, on the internet or otherwise.

Niether do you post on the internet about you childrens illnesses , otherwise you will get some wanker making a joke of it.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
So you shouldn't use children as an ashtray, but you can smoke around them? Have I got this right?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So you shouldn't use children as an ashtray, but you can smoke around them? Have I got this right?

No no, making fun of kids is fine, infant anshtrays and bikeracks, whatnot, just not of FH peoples children :p

And as throd said, no making fun of childrens illnesses, but other peoples are free for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom