Advice Email help

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Ok I have a old Dell running Vista that has 'Windows mail' built in. It has 5 yrs worth of stuff on it, about 7000 messages in various folder (its my work pc so I need to keep them all)

How do I get them into Outlook on the new one running 8.1 so they stay in date order

Now I have done an export and saved them in a folder on a stick, do I just plug that in the new one and point import in Outlook at it, is it that easy, or do I have to put them in a folder that Outlook will see

Cheers

soze

I am a FH squatter
Ok I have a old Dell running Vista that has 'Windows mail' built in. It has 5 yrs worth of stuff on it, about 7000 messages in various folder (its my work pc so I need to keep them all)

How do I get them into Outlook on the new one running 8.1 so they stay in date order

Now I have done an export and saved them in a folder on a stick, do I just plug that in the new one and point import in Outlook at it, is it that easy, or do I have to put them in a folder that Outlook will see

Cheers
If you have exported them in the right format then yes just import in Outlook and point it at the file. http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/o...sages-from-windows-live-mail-HA102029124.aspx

Edmond

Ok, still not sorted this, as I said before I'm trying to get all my messages from windows mail running on vista to outlook 2013 in date order.

Question, if I do easy transfer, will that copy all the messages and import them across?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I usually just locate the pst file and move that to the new one and tell it about the additional pst file you want to add. Don't know if that works with 2013 tho

Edmond

I usually just locate the pst file and move that to the new one and tell it about the additional pst file you want to add. Don't know if that works with 2013 tho

Tried to find the pst file by doing a search but nothing comes up

Edmond

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/migratefromoewlm.htm#another_computer

Read through that, it looks like you will need to install Outlook on the Old machine then import to that, you can then export to a pst and transfer that to your new machine. It is a dick but it does not look like there is an easier way.
Yes I think that's what I'm going to have to do, also just spent an hour doing easy transfer from the old machine, only for the new one to tell me that I can't transfer from vista to 8.1, what's the fucking point of that

Edmond

Ok, installed outlook on the old machine and when I got to the bit about selcting Microsoft exchange>ok the bit about exporting the messages! I get 'the export could not be performed. An error occurred while initialising MAPI'

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Try this:

Install Windows Live with the option to only install the Mail component.
Once you install it and run it and Windows Live Mail will import the Windows Mail automatically.

Once that is complete, hit the 'alt' tab on your keyboard to view the standard toolbar bar.
Click on 'File --> Export --> Messages'

Edmond

Try this:

Once you install it and run it and Windows Live Mail will import the Windows Mail automatically.

Once that is complete, hit the 'alt' tab on your keyboard to view the standard toolbar bar.

Thanks. i'll give it a go later

Edmond

Try this:

It says I can't install windows live on to Vista

Edmond

Blimey what a pain in the arse this. So I tried to install windows live on the Vista machine, but no, it needed to install service pack 2 and a platform update, so 4 hours later its now installing windows live essentials so I can hopefully transfer the WM messages into it, which i'm assuming will convert them to pst files, which I can then copy into outlook 2013

I also backed up all the work files on a stick which was around 8gb, it took over an hour to put them on the stick from the old machine. I took 7 mins to transfer them on to the new one FFS

Anyway if this doesn't work im going to throw the old one off the roof

Edmond

Ok, set up the pop account in windows live and it's now exporting from windows mail on the old machine into windows live, I'm hoping that if log into windows live on the new machine it will all be there and I can import it over into outlook 2013?

Just logged onto windows live on the new one and it is showing all the folders and sub folders, nothing in there yet, but it's currently importing 187 (and counting) messages out of 17306, didn't realise there were so many!!

Finally I think I'm getting somewhere, yay!!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Remember....ctrl-a / shift-del will scan the emails for anything important.

Edmond

Try this:

Ok, now I have another problem, windows live is not available on Vista, so I set up outlook.com (I was calling it windows live, but didn't realise they were 2 seperate things) Which is web based, so if I click on the file tab it just give me the options to do stuff with the web page, not to export messages. All the messages are there in outlook.com, but I have searched on how to export them into outlook 2013 but it keeps talking about windows live.

It doesn't look as if there is a way to export form outlook.com to outlook 2013

Last edited:

Edmond

Try this:

Right managed to get round it and installed windows live 2011, and as you said dys, it stated importing the accounts from start up, just need to wait about 10 hours for it to do that

soze

I am a FH squatter
If they are there on the web page just set up a new account in Outlook for outlook.com and then export it from Outlook.

Edmond

If they are there on the web page just set up a new account in Outlook for outlook.com and then export it from Outlook.

windows live is exporting the messages to outlook, so from this will it then create pst files for me to copy onto the new Lappy?

soze

I am a FH squatter
windows live is exporting the messages to outlook, so from this will it then create pst files for me to copy onto the new Lappy?
If they are all in your outlook.com account you dont need the old laptop you can just add an account to Outlook on the new machine and do it from there.

If they are on the web it is much easier.

Edmond

If they are all in your outlook.com account you dont need the old laptop you can just add an account to Outlook on the new machine and do it from there.

If they are on the web it is much easier.
When you say add an account, I already have the main account set up and it has downloaded about 1000 messages off the server as I have it set to hold them for 100 days, but that's not sent items or folders. Should I delete the account I have set up in outlook 2013 and set it up again, how eo I point it at outlook.com?

Sorry If being stupid, but this has given me brain freeze as I have been trying to do it since Saturday

soze

I am a FH squatter
Are all the items now in a new Outlook.com account then?

If so in Outlook on the new machine click File > Add Account. Enter the information and it should do the rest for you and add a second set of email folders which will be your Outlook.com account. When it has finished downloading you can move them over to the main account and tidy up.

Edmond

Are all the items now in a new Outlook.com account then?

If so in Outlook on the new machine click File > Add Account. Enter the information and it should do the rest for you and add a second set of email folders which will be your Outlook.com account. When it has finished downloading you can move them over to the main account and tidy up.

Ok, I see, I'll give it a go,thanks

Edmond

Well finally got there. in the end I had to save the messages from Windows Mail to a folder that I then had to import that into Windows Live, which in turn I had to import into Outlook, which converted them into pst files, so I could then copy them onto the new lappy.

Probably could have done in the first place tbh, I have been round the houses to do it. I'll know next time

Thanks for all your help @soze & @dysfunction

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom