EM(2) V DS

O

old.Ewan

Place your bets, number of pages this reaches! Im going for 3, as i think someone will kill it early
smile.gif

Ewan

ps DS!

O

old.[HH]Rhoadie

oooh a queue I just gotta be in it

O

old.[HH]Lemming

Well someone has to post something sensible eventually ... but I don't think it's going to be me ... I'm just going to spam the board, cos this situation isn't even worth commenting upon ... we all know what we think.

O

old.Ewan

Yeah, i think were all on the same wavelength here, almost no need to discuss the evening itself, more just the implications and what we need to change to stop it happening again.

Ewan

O

old.Plantpot

Lets test again :p

Good league peeps...cya next one
smile.gif

------------------

F

Fergus

Bugger.....

Tip for the day.....

1) Dont eat pizza when there is a race to get on the board first....

DOH!

O

old.[HH]Lemming

If EM had a default win tonight ... why did they decide to play against DS?

O

old.[DT]Karma

Could someone clarify EXACTLY what happened, in an objective way, just so the rest of us who were kickin Hell out of LTS get to see the full story?

O

old.HokutoTC

Well spotted Xtro.

------------------
HokutoTC

O

old.Ewan

Ill try to be objective here:

This Week in the UKTL EM1 had a bye.
EM2 played DS

Since EM1 had a bye, their players decided to play for EM2 instead, so instead of EM2 playing DS, 4 EM1 and 4 EM2 played DS.

DS won 1 - 0, though aparantly EM were not actually taking the game in anyway seriously according to DS players.

Ewan

O

old.Stamper2

Ok, I will post in what I saw happened.

DS V EM2 match tonight, last game of season. EM2 were understaffed and only had 4(??) players, DS could probobly slaughter EM2 with 8 players let alone with 4, so 4 members of EM1 decided to play alongside EM2 in a friendly jesture kind of way.

This got blown way out of proportion as people started to say it was all a conspiracy blah blah. But I see it as EM2 are not going to be with us next season and so they wanted one last, enjoyable game in the UKTL, they would not have been able to do this with 4 players.

Its the end of the season so lighten up, it is supposed to be fun. EM might have broken the rules that were set before them, but at the end of the season all I can see is them wanting to have a fun....that is what tribes is all about!

O

old.Dar

it seems there've been a few wires crossed over this. I was talking to some darkside players tonight who were guinuinly offended by KoS and Lucifa's remarks in irc after the match. I believe the jist of it was: "we handed you a victory".

These remarks were regarding KoS attacking the darkside base late in the game when he had to flag. It seems some ds player thought we were taking the piss. Thats not why we did it. As most of you know - that was after a 35 minute flag siege. We didnt believe there was any chance of returning our flag - so we deciced to give back the enemy flag in the hope of catching up afterwards. We gambled - and we lost, pure and simple.

The remarks later were only the lads doing their usual messing. I apologise if any players were offended by them. Personnaly i think it was a good game with great play from both sides - and i know the rest of the team feel the same.

O

old.parsley

DS captain's perspective on this:

We have lost a few games recently and morale has been lower than it should. We have even started to wonder if we can beat anyone anymore! So at last with EM2 here's a game we can perhaps win and get some of that flagging enthusiasm back (pun intended).

We then find that EM2 have recruited 4 EM players. This wasn't a "We can't field enough so lets default and bring in guest players for a fun match" as seen in previous gaming leagues, this was players actually quitting one tribe to join another. These were players who had recently beaten us badly and it felt like we were gonna be kicked while we were down.

I pointed out we weren't happy in the #uktl channel and then a few EM/EM2 players started private channels with me and I was basically told that the EM players joining were all attackers and that the EM2 players were defending and were not very good (This turned out not to be true as Lucifa (and maybe others) defended but thats not really relevant to the situation). I decided to go ahead and play the game as I thought at least if we lost we would have an excuse because losing to a normal em2 side would probably have been too much for all of us. Also the arguing had delayed the game by 10 mins or more and we had players who needed to go to bed (some of us are rather aged) so I thought "sod it, lets just play".

The game progressed went quite well but stuck on 0-0 until the flag was given back to us towards the end and we capped. This involved their light armoured carrier coming to our base and half-heartedly attacking...

Back in irc the #uktl residents were told by EM2 players that we won because they gave us the flag back on a plate. This was worse than losing. Now we had apparently won because EM2 allowed us to not because of any skill on our part. So we end up feeling even worse than we would had we been given a default win.

Other members of EM2 have since apologised and say that they were giving us the flag back to attempt to kill our carrier when he went to capture. This could well be the case but the damage was done as far as Im concerned.

I realise that some of my views about decent behaviour will seem old-fashioned to some of the younger members of the scene but I don't believe that this behaviour, or indeed in-game insults/taunts as were seen here again, are sporting and they simply endeavour to make the league a less enjoyable place to be. It is meant to be a game and fun. Well it didn't end up making us smile.

I'd rather lose a league and be in DS who are considered a very sporting and friendly tribe rather than win the league with a tribe considered to be the complete opposite by pretty much the whole of the community it seems.

[This message has been edited by parsley (edited 10 August 1999).]

O

old.[HH]Rhoadie

Well I personally think that DS handled themselves admirably after the match .

I and I think I speak for the rest of HH , think it would be a sad day if DS were not to survive and wish you the best for the future .

We have regarded you as Sister tribe and have always ejoyed our friendlies/matches irregardless of the final score .

I think that there are more of the mature players out there then u realise , please do not be put off by the vocal immature "insert applicable expletive here" that are in the tribes community.

Remember that until UKTL2 is finished , DS are the reigning champions.

O

old.Plantpot

Who do u regard as brother tribes?
smile.gif

:p
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Plantpot (edited 10 August 1999).]

O

old.{ velvet }

I've written my thoughts on my column on TribesNation... Could have written a hell of a lot more but I'm very tired now and must sleep.....

O

old.Coyote

Seems to me that everyone has setup rules before the league kicks in, and then forgotten how to apply them within the league.

Player transfers before games (minutes or even a day before) should not be valid. A minimum period of a week (fully advertised) is acceptable in my opinion.

Admins should have got involved BEFORE this game even started to agree a solution. Thats what they are there for - not to just spectate in the game.

------------------

"Abandon All Hope!"

O

old.zitco

This is to be my only comment on this, thier will be no others.
what essentially was 1 last game for em2 has turned into a nightmare for all concerned-
I apologised on behalf of all the EM2 players.

Suds/aka Zitco

G

Hi guys....
Sorry but this message is for (DT)Karma and has sweet FA to do with the DS/EM saga -
Karma - It's lucky that I am out of the UK at the moment (I'm on sunny shores about 3000 miles or so away and all I can do is post on here thru my local net cafe - sad huh?)....along with many regular LTS guys I am enjoying my holiday. If you want to gloat about a victory over a severely understrength LTS (I understand it was 5 LTS guys (then 6 for a bit) vs 8 DT) then do it in a new topic for all to see. I can't wait to get back to Blighty and mix it up...
Sorry - no need to fall out - you all know I am a happy bunny (!) - but there is a time and a place for comments like that.
I'm glad that LTS have a reputation to preserve...:p
cya landlubbers
Xtro

------------------

O

old.Brit

Velvet - u need to remove the "target=_blank" comment from your URL to your column from the news page.. unless you want more windows opening
smile.gif
Other than that, a number of fair points.

Firstly, I'd like to take objection to both Ereb and Trebz who blatantly accused me of being in some way involved in the DS/EM2 thing last night. TBH, aside from a small column on Barrysworld, I don't think I've ever seen Trebz, and for him to accuse me of something without any facts backing him up is down right pathetic. Both of these people who are I understand not even regularly active Tribers, saw fit to pass high handed judgement on a situation which they were not involved in. Wind your neck in. Go back to Quake. Cause trouble there.

I only found out about this 'thing' when I joined #uktl to find the messages scrolling at 3000 mph, and regular 'EM are lamers' 'EM are c*nts' (that one from Ereb I believe, on a number of occasions) and various others. It took me nearly half an hour of back scrolling and asking Afty/Smudge to find out what actually happened.

From what I can make out, amongst all the crappy immature rhetoric, nasty bile and other down right petty comments, the following happened :

EM2, down 4 players, had 4 EM players join them for the DS match. Since none of these EM players had played another match in that UKTL week, this was a perfectly valid move, well within the rules. Now, I also gather that some of the DS guys objected to this - for whatever reason - but were overruled by UKTL-Smudge as it was, as I've said, not contradictory to any UKTL rule. The match played.. etc etc.

Now, for all those who spent many hours last night expounding on their own personal theories of what is 'right' and what is 'wrong', and what constitutes good 'sportsmanship' and what 'doesnt' I have one thing to say; don't be so damned sad. If EM decide to put their flag in a scout and sit a mile up in the air, then that is a PERFECTLY valid tactic. If they decide to run to the edge of the map with it, its a perfectly valid tactic. It may not sit well with those who obviously appointed themselves the guardians of 'good play', but it is allowed within the game parameters as currently laid down in Tribes 1.8

For the DS guys - I'm sorry that you have been losing a lot recently, but your internal morale state is entirely up to you. No one like losing - EM were the butt of everyone's jokes earlier in the season, and now the internal EM morale is extremely good due to a variety of things that have happened in the last few months. Hell, EM, the 'Underdogs who everyone loves to hate' could win the UKTL! It will surely be a mark of the strength of the DS leadership to see how DS comes back from this *temporary* offset.

Finally, I think the UKTL is getting way too serious
smile.gif
-- I could understand if we were playing for prizes of like, £1m but we're not. We're playing for a small graphic.. lol

As Afty said last night, the UKTL rules now need to be reviewed. I agree. We also need to implement some strategy that ensures people can have fun again
smile.gif

--Brit--

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom