ElfChump... LW or pierce/shield?

Sploosh the ElfChimp

Fledgling Freddie
Im appraching lvl 40 (about flippin time!) and I believe i can get a respec there.
Im kind of bored with the LW thing...and think as an elf im maybe not doing it any favours anyhow...so was considering turning to pierce and shield... less damge per hit..but more hits?
What does the illustrious panel think? Reasons for and against either please

Fluid

Can't get enough of FH
/respec class hero

but if u gotta stay champ, 50 shield is always a good start

Elricstormbringer

Fledgling Freddie
If you go 50 shield you would not be able to go to 50 valour. A template on 50 shield would be 50 Shield 40 valour (for second to last valour line spells) 39 weapon rest parry (or try and get to 40 weapon maybe and 11 parry). Bear in mind that your spells won't be as good and will get resisted more in rvr as they are lower level. Typical 1h champ template is 50 valour 42 shield (for slam) 39 weapon rest parry (6 i think).

As for pierce then it depends whether you have access to druid specc buffs. Certainly from a bot your dex will tend to be higher than your str so pierce weaponskill will be higher than str based weapons but because you will only be 39/40 base weaponskill it will be lower than someone who is 50 natural spec (like LW champs tend to be). If no bot or spec buffs then your str will be higher by a long way than your dex due to the self buff so str based weapons will give better weaponskill.

As for 1h weapon whilst you will get more hits you won't do as much damage (certainly frontload nor over time) as an LW champ due to the fact your weaponskill will be lower (and maybe miss more as a consequence) as well as lower base damage. You will, however, be able to guard support and casters a lot better than an LW champ whose role is to wade in.

Hope that helps :)

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
shield spec gonna be VERY good for champs...if we got the pc's and guilds to handle it.. sigh.. 50 valour is a MUST no matter WHAT you u do as a champ... its valour that makes u a champ.

a lot off peeps disagree witm me with champs.. but since we get no DET.. why not hang around at back and cause chaos? we can so that instantly... champs are the ultimate pb box helpers since they can dbbuff for themselves and for their nukers... and the guard on a healer type.. u REALLY got a problem back there... champs can be a reason.. time u knew... a well played champ is better than a poorly played hero or bm.... i want examples is that hasnt been the case...

there's like 20 or so rr5+ champs atm.. every one of them should have your respect. since we soooooo gimped... we dont need DET.. we need to ;earn how to play champs better.. sorry all u LW champs.. but u done for.. learn to play with shield now.. or just give up...

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
yes.. my first drunken wants to makes sense but doesnt post here.. there will be more.. yay!

no but.. seroiusly.. time for LW to think about shield spec+blunt/pierce?

Gillaien

Fledgling Freddie
ilaya said:
shield spec gonna be VERY good for champs...if we got the pc's and guilds to handle it.. sigh.. 50 valour is a MUST no matter WHAT you u do as a champ... its valour that makes u a champ.

a lot off peeps disagree witm me with champs.. but since we get no DET.. why not hang around at back and cause chaos? we can so that instantly... champs are the ultimate pb box helpers since they can dbbuff for themselves and for their nukers... and the guard on a healer type.. u REALLY got a problem back there... champs can be a reason.. time u knew... a well played champ is better than a poorly played hero or bm.... i want examples is that hasnt been the case...

there's like 20 or so rr5+ champs atm.. every one of them should have your respect. since we soooooo gimped... we dont need DET.. we need to ;earn how to play champs better.. sorry all u LW champs.. but u done for.. learn to play with shield now.. or just give up...
amen mate :)

Joxer

Fledgling Freddie
ilaya said:
yes.. my first drunken wants to makes sense but doesnt post here.. there will be more.. yay!

no but.. seroiusly.. time for LW to think about shield spec+blunt/pierce?

I've given this idea some thought already and although I prolly will still stay LW (someone exotic has to stay in order to keep the flag up...besides, I would need a completly new armorset, a new well-made SC-kit and a quite decent poker - not to forget the shield) I really recommend every new Champ who wants to get groups to go the pierce/shield-way.

Champs swinging LW's will find it alot harder getting decent RvR groups in the future.

Laryssa

Regular Freddie
well - some wise man told me once

if u dont spec 50 valor, roll a hero.

as for the shield spec i can't tell u anything - my champ is LW since lvl 40+ :(

Sturrm

Fledgling Freddie
If you plan on playing a Champ Defensive you might as well hit the Delete button and then type Y E S.

Hero has more Weapon Skill hence will miss the slams less often.
Hero has DeT so will not be standing mezzed while the enemy pummels the support/mages.
Hero has Prevent Flight hence if using a quick pierce the target will not run away.

What reason is there to spec a Defensive Champ when a Defensive Hero is far better?

Some tank info....

The hardest tank class in Hibernia to kill is the Hero.

The tank class that hits the fastest and procs Prevent Flight most often is the BladeMaster.

The hardest hitting tank Class in Hibernia is the Champ (if specced correctly).

In beta and at begining of release i had a Hero, rerolled Champ cause Champ had snare and my targets were running away from me. Then came Prevent Flight (etc).

Patches come, times change and Fotm's are born/rolled.

Atm Champs have a hard life in Hib, perhaps someday after some patch, Life won't be so hard.

If you plan on speccing a Defensive Champ expect to find a group after all Defensive Heros and Prevent Flight BM's have found RvR groups. If you spec an Offensive Champ you can always run in a tank RvR group.

nuff said

Good luck to you, whatever decision you make.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
ok my spulling wasnt too gud last post.. tad drunk (as usual) arf arf

but good god sturmm..defensive champs after prevent flight bm's? u sure about that? LW champs being hardest damage dealers? i REALLY doubt it.

i can prolly outdamage a tank due to speed of wpn and the resulting styles.. plus i got the whole extra crit thing going on..

but besides that.. i work at the back near the support.. coz i dont have the hp to be a front line tank.. nor do i have det for mezzes.. anyone being at front with a LW needs to have that stuff.. shield and wpn and debuffs however.. outta range of the mezzers usually, gives the casters and healers extra time to do their thang.

shield specced champs are the perfect tank-like support for the erm.. support :) and they gonna get even better soon i hear.. hehe

Yaemon

Fledgling Freddie
ilaya said:

I dont think that it will matter much if my spec is shield/pierce or lw. I have asked champs on the us servers about the champs role after ToA and after the patches that we will recieve. Their response was that they didnt see any change at all. Champs are still "unwanted" in groups because they lack determination.

Even if you as you put it "hang around at back and cause chaos" you will still be mezzed and rooted and stunned because you are close to the support and mages (your main job is still to guard them you know.. like the nat druids main job still is to heal).

Sure you can interrupt with snare/dd but what impact does this have on the fight? A healer/mage you choose to dd will loose 1 heal or cast and then you will have to wait 15 seconds before you can interrupt them again. The debuffs might be good though.. especially with wild arcana, but I really dont see champs as more viable in groups after ToA and masterlevels.

Btw the argument "a well played champ is better than a poorly played hero or bm" is quite funny.. Put it this way instead... If a hero and champ are equally good players and have same rr which one would you rather have in your group?

I am lw specced and have always been that. Because of the "hard times" atm I usually find myself making or joining random groups. In my opinion random groups works best as tankgroups because they consist of players with varied rvr experiance. Tank groups are more simple to play and easier to keep alive imo. If you want to make a succesfull magegroup you will need to have better teamplay and more team experience. Because of this I will keep my lw spec (because I dont see any dramatic champ changes in the future we know of sofar) and the lw spec will work better in the random tankgroup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom