Drink Electronics Outside

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So I've a run-down dilapidated shell of a building (probably was an animal shed in the 1850's or something) that I'm thinking I can stick a quick-and-dirty a-frame and corrugated-iron roof on.

wreck.JPG

I've a couple of pretty good leather sofas that won't be going into our house that I'm going to bung in there. I can run some electricity over and stick in some LED lighting and construct a makeshift bar area out of some slate (or, probably, stick a rusty old log sawhorse I found that I use as a BBQ stand in there to support a barrel of beer for festive times).

However, I want to stick some electrical equipment in there but very much doubt it'd hold up.

E.G. - I've got a old but good stereo system that I've linked up to a chromecast audio which would otherwise get skipped but would be excellent for outside tunes. I've also got a pretty good and big fridge that will eventually become redundant that I can take over and stick in there too. However, even if the stuff is protected from direct rain it's going to get hit with condensation and for a good part of the year freezing temperatures.

The fridge might survive it - but the stereo, probably not?

Anything I can do in this situation other than store it in the main house until needed? (Would be a PITA that, and probably a no-go as we're seriously under-storaged - although I do have an intention to get a proper decent shed erected, with potentially a heating source that would keep things above freezing when necessary - which will probably be the subject of another thread next year some time).

Any advice?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Ironically the fridge would probably have problems before your stereo due to the cold, whereas the stereo might succumb to damp.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ironically the fridge would probably have problems before your stereo due to the cold, whereas the stereo might succumb to damp.
I know that fridges like stable atmospheres but I did have one in a garage for years - proximity to the house probably meant it didn't get below freezing a lot but it worked flawlessly.

The damp thing, yeah - that's what I'm worried about with the stereo. It'd be damp in the mornings and probably suffer from pooling inside too because there wouldn't be a breeze running through.

Wondering if there's anything I could realistically do about that? :\

Embattle

FH is my second home
If outside the ambient temperature of the fridge then ultimately it'll use more power to maintain the internal temperature and will be more likely to fail, but then if it is a throw away it isn't anything to worry about beyond the higher power usage.

Good ventilation seems to be a solution to reducing damp, although not having pools of water would also help but in the end it tends to be a balancing act. It might not be worth worrying about much since it is only going to be a temporary structure.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
You an buy fridges that are designed for use in outhouses, that deal with lower ambient temperatures better. They do cost more.

What is it with you and corrugated iron? I hate the stuff, but maybe just have childhood memories of old rusty sharp dilapidated huts near where I lived.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You an buy fridges that are designed for use in outhouses, that deal with lower ambient temperatures better. They do cost more.
I had a bog standard fridge freezer outside for years in a summer kitchen and it never suffered. Mind you, this was in the south of France. I'm not sure it would fare quite so well in the wilds of Wales.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What is it with you and corrugated iron? I hate the stuff, but maybe just have childhood memories of old rusty sharp dilapidated huts near where I lived.
Cheap. It's not a permanent structure - and if I do ever apply for planning against the structure then already having some sort of roof will help.

You got a better temporary alternative?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom