EIDE/IDE Laptop Hard Disk Drive (For a 4 track recorder)

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Hello all, a fleeting visit tonight:

My brother is buying a 4-Track recorder (the name of which I don't have handy, sorry), which needs a 2.5" (laptop sized) EIDE hard drive. Now, it's rather hard to find EIDE ones, but very easy to find IDE ones.

Question: Is there a difference? Is it safe to assume that something supporting EIDE will support and IDE one?

It's been suggested to me that there is a small difference in physical size (height wise), is this true?

I will make my brother get in touch with the manufacturer, probably with some suggested drives and a "will this work" question, but I'd like to offer up the best (and cheapest) suggestions that I can.

Capacity wise, he really only needs a couple of gigs (at the very most) - 1 gig will store 50 minutes of music with 4 tracks, aparently, so the smallest drives I've found (20GB!) may be overkill. Heck, if anyone has a disused oldie that they'd like to give a new, loving home I'd be very interested to hear from you :)

Thanks very much for any advice,

Ben

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
EIDE and IDE are basically the same thing, the E stands for Enhanced. EIDE and ATA are further developments of the IDE. In other words, IDE, EIDE and ATA function in much the same way.

so the short answer is yes

[edit] should have said that something supporting EIDE will support IDE unless the IDE drive is old (pre 95). just to clarify [/edit]

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Actually, one of my Dell laptops has an 'ide' 2.5" drive, my newer i8500 an eide drive and the EIDE is significantly thinner.

Though I can't verify if this is a feature of the drive or just Dell choosing a thinner unit for a newer laptop.

Xav

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Aye - I've spotted various drives listed on websites, some with sidenotes about their height, so I wonder if (especially with this being DELL) these are non standard parts at work :)

I'll get the specs from the Manufacturer and see what we can do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom