Rant Ebay Bastard

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
OK this is not my fight, nothing to do with me really, but it's made me angry.

Just before Christmas, looking for a new camera for Esme I found this and put it on my watch list. I was really pissed that I forgot it, and only remembered a few minutes after it finished, especially in view of the price it went for.

I thought no more about it though until today I get an e-mail telling me that it has been re-listed, which I thought was a bit suspect so I had a look at teh feedback associated with it. Sure enough the seller has got -ve feedback due to telling the original buyer that it was lost in the post, and now re-listing it. The seller has answered this feedback with the story that it was lost in the post, and the buyer reimbursed but that the PO had found it, minus address label and returned it. Hence it was now his to re-sell but this time with a £59.99 start price!

Even if the story is correct (utterly unlikely) surely the honest thing to do would be to have offered it to the buyer again.

Like I say this is nothing to do with me, though only because I remembered too late to bid, but it has pissed me off more than it should. Probably because the bastard has got away with it.

RB

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah that's pretty fucking cheeky. There's a reserve price option for a reason, if he didn't want to sell if for below a certain price he should have used it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have had this happen to me a couple of times, win something at an absolute steel, only to end up with the auction getting cancelled. If people want a minimum price then they should learn how to use the reserve.

Arnie 2Tone

Fledgling Freddie
Unfortunately, eBay encourage this sort of behaviour with their stupid fees structure. The higher the starting price, the higher the listing fee, and it now costs a minimum of £1 to add a reserve to an item. Plus the reserve can be no lower than £50.

Starting something at 99p with no reserve and screwing over the buyer if it doesn't reach your desired price is free.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Have you seen how stupid they are over postage? Some items you cannot list a postage price now. Of course this is because it was being abused by a few people but now if an item is a collectible you have to set a starting price high enough to cover the basic postage costs.

Apart from that ebay also offers a second chance bidding system now too which seems wrong to me.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I felt sorry for the buyer so I messaged him my feelings, is reply:

Hi, I fully understand from where you are coming from, initially that you lost out on bidding on original listing. This is how it went, he said that it was posted before Christmas but I accepted that it would not arrive until after the event. When it did not arrive by the middle of the following week I e-mail him and he immediately offered a full refund if I cancelled the transaction, this arose my suspicions because no one would offer a refund in case the item did finally arrive all be it late. I gave it a few more days but had to buy another camera because it now was a belated present. Because I was suspicious I kept an eye on his account convinced it would be re-listed and it was. His excuse was that the label fell off and he had only just received it back from the post office. Re-listing at £59.99 compared to selling at £20.99 tells it all, regards...

I agree with the selling costs being ridiculous. I just sold a Canon 40D for a friend and was appalled by the amount that ebay and paypal took.

RB

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, different viewpoint;

What ebay takes, is for costs and to make money. It's a business afterall, we'd all do it too if it was that popular.

Second; as i se it, ebay is an offer based thing, so if you're not happy with someone buying your camera dirt cheap, why should you sell it?

I agree with the "final sale price" or "reserve" or what'cha'ma'callit, should use that always to get what you want.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
While using eBay sites, services and tools, you will not:

fail to deliver items purchased from you, unless the buyer fails to meet the posted terms, or you cannot authenticate the buyer's identity;
And there are probably other relevant ones as well... It's surprising I know, but that "offer based thing" has rules...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And there are probably other relevant ones as well... It's surprising I know, but that "offer based thing" has rules...

Yeah but i meant before the final sale is done, that's ofcourse logical that you have to deliver it after.

Or was that what people were frowning on, instead of cancelled auctions?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't understand, how can you sell something "before the final sale is done"? The sale is sort of a cut-off point here - you haven't sold it before you've sold it (and therefore don't have to deliver it) and you have sold it after you've sold it...

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Yeah but i meant before the final sale is done, that's ofcourse logical that you have to deliver it after.

Or was that what people were frowning on, instead of cancelled auctions?

Not sure if you've read this or not.

The sale was done, a contract had been agreed. The guy even went so far as to lie about sending the camera, and some more fiction about having got it back, but after a refund had been made.

RB

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I have had this happen to me a couple of times, win something at an absolute steel, only to end up with the auction getting cancelled.

I was referring to that.

If i'm mistaken, fine, but i always thought the ebay sale wasn't final before the final offer had been placed and agreed upon.

The "fail to deliver items purchased from you," would be after that i think.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
tbh, i beg to differ - if he has no idea what the cameras worth - and is i don't know - selling it for a dead relative for a will - then thats a good idea, yes, have you seen the reservation prices these days, absolutely crazy.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
No Toht - it's an auction site, with a time set as the seller lists the item for sale at which point the auction ends. When the auction ends the highest bid, assuming it is over the seller's 'reserve' price, is the price of the sale. There is no further negotiation, that is it. Think of that point being when the auctioneer bangs his desk and shouts 'sold to the lady at the back!'.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Additionally, in RB's example payment had already been made. Purposely not sending the item is, quite rightly, against the rules. Though as Arnie says, if the pricing is all fucked up then it's going to result in this kind of behaviour.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
No Toht - it's an auction site, with a time set as the seller lists the item for sale at which point the auction ends. When the auction ends the highest bid, assuming it is over the seller's 'reserve' price, is the price of the sale. There is no further negotiation, that is it. Think of that point being when the auctioneer bangs his desk and shouts 'sold to the lady at the back!'.

Righto, well, in that case that is the final bit then.

Before that, sellers call really.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Sometimes Toht - one minute of googling would save everyone else time and effort!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Sometimes Toht - one minute of googling would save everyone else time and effort!

Yeah, real effort, Jup correcting me that the time over = final sale, really wasted everyones day :p

Though i gues you're right, it's nothing like this(Off-topic link!), you dirty pervert :D

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
But you came into the thread, as you do, with a "different opinion"... and then 2 posts later admitted you didn't know anything about ebay.. "as I see it" isn't really valid if you don't know what you're talking about!

Then to top it off you couldn't even be bothered to read down about 10 lines in the link I found and gave you.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
But you came into the thread, as you do, with a "different opinion"... and then 2 posts later admitted you didn't know anything about ebay.. "as I see it" isn't really valid if you don't know what you're talking about!

Then to top it off you couldn't even be bothered to read down about 10 lines in the link I found and gave you.

Not gonna start with this again, i was wrong in the second part, Jup corrected it, let it go :p

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I sold some stuff just before Christmas so i could get some present money. Made about £230 which ebay/paypal deemed too much so they said i couldn't withdraw my money (not even the £20 for postage) for 21 days or until the seller leaves feedback. Ofcourse the seller didn't bother so it was a complete waste of time and i didn't get my money until january :(

i hate ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom