Earth wizard - any good?

Auriel

Fledgling Freddie
These guys seem to have a nice set of tools at their disposal... various ways of doing damage, various cc spells (all on the same immunity though...) Are these popular? I mostly hear of fire and ice wizards... ice is fairly good looking (pbaoe + snare nuke are useful), but fire is limited to ranged damage and no status effect magic at all :(

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Earth : Gimpest spec line ever
Fire : Decent damage, great bolts, zero utility
Ice : PBAoE, reasonable damage, snares, zero utility

Either fire or ice tbh. Most people tend to play fire and then go ice at later realm ranks. Ive got both and i tend to prefer the playstyle of fire so im sticking with it.

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
Earth has a few nice things, but not enough to make up for the loss of other spells.

Fire is good in teh zerg.

Ice is great, if played well. But also requires to be high RR, as you need certain RA's.

Madonion

Fledgling Freddie
My Earth Wiz is very nice just lacks a decent DD spell.

Best at keep defence i alone can slow an attacking force down with GTAOE long for a re-enforcements to arrive.

But it is true Earth has no where near the damage potential of a Fire or Ice wizard, which is a shame as the tools we do have like AOE DD Snare and AOE Root can be very handy.

The single Dot is also very nice hitting for up to 130 per tick so nice to whack on a fleeing target.

But still not enough to get a group, so he is left normally parked in a keep until a defence is needed, but now due to this new "Safety Rule" i cant even park him in a keep now.

Khalen

Fledgling Freddie
Earth wizzies rock imo. Wizzies get hardly groups unless they ice anyway and then you need very good support even. So if your one of those people who can't get a balanced rvr group every single day I would say try Earth wizzie and see the fun I have with him. Bolting people, DoTing em, AE snare nuke (nasty vs enemy pbae groups) and GTAEing are the best things for keep defense :) Think Earth + Fire wizzie in 1 group can be quite deadly, AE snare nuke with AE nuke + 2x VP (you'd better split up fast hehe).

So try it out if you haven't and still doubting about it... You've seen the other speccs many times in RvR probably but hardly the power of earth wizzies. And yes the no-real-nuke-DD is maybe one thing that's shame.. But plenty of other nasty things to use :D

Kenshee Himura

Fledgling Freddie
I find the mainly usefull in keep defences. they do lack DD power but the rest of the spell make em more of a support/hinder caster tbh :)
Root is nice AE snare dd is nice too.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Earth Wizzies need a spec DD but then that would step on Fire Wizards toes and render them useless.

Earth Wizards lack decent damage which is why they will always be considered the worst spec for a Wizard.

Whats everyones views on Volcanic Pillar btw, if you had it before have you just gone and got it again or have you used the points for something else. I am not sure what to do, I am tempted to get it again but then a few wizards I know haven't.

Auriel

Fledgling Freddie
In terms of raw damage ok, earth is not a good choice, and you'd need the ice baseline DD for single target work (eg: 48 earth / 24 ice / 6 fire).

However, I don't think raw damage alone will win you many fights =) The earth wiz can control fights with aoe root and aoe snare nukes, which can buy other groupmates time to do the things they need to do... plus the earth wizard is a fairly good damage dealer, not the best, but good considering they have utility (shocker! :p)

I know The Brethren debuff nuke, so there's no reason the earth wiz can't assist with the ice baseline DD in a similar setup, much like mana elds do in Hib.

Also the gtaoe - it's a milegate room clearer, useful in sieges, fantastic on epic level mobs - situational ok, but that's utility for you :)

So have earth wizzies sacrificed too much for utility? I'm playing a mana eld at the moment and they do a good job of suppressing enemies with their ample bag of tricks... the one big difference between them and earth wizzies as I see it is that they can also do amazing damage with pbaoe to round themselves out.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Wizzies really do need to be fixed.

You have one line (fire) with pretty limited damage and no utility, one (ice) with shit loads of damage but limited utility and a high RR requirement for max effectiveness and another line with loads of utility but feck all damage. A bit of a joke when you think that we are supposed to be the major damage dealers in the realm. I would take my sorc into battle for high damage output before I took my wizard. :/

Having said that, I think earth looks like fun and I will probably respec out of ice soon. I am bored with trying to find a group that will let me PBAOE properly and even more bored of finding such a group and fucking it up. :p

Dawn

Fledgling Freddie
wizzards need love really. the way things are today better go for a sp caba or a bodysorc. id hate to play a wizzard as he has zero (or less) utility. air theurg is nice too :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
in an emain zerg you'll probably do ok
in a keep defence (with support of course) you'll do ok
roaming 1fg you'll not even get an invite...

if you did it'd probably be a substandard ice theurg....

though aoe root + aoe interrupt might be handy on pbaoe.

Khalen

Fledgling Freddie
You'd be surprised how fast 2 earth wizzies can take down a pbae group. I'm anxious to know how fast they can take down tank group (if they ambushed the enemy ofcourse). It's all about how you play a class. If you get the hang of a class and try to perfect tactics I think any class could be lethal.

Hercules-DF

Fledgling Freddie
i had an earth wiz for quite a while, the ae root and snare can change a battle as can sticking the nasty single target dot on the correct enemy followed by the earth spec bolt almost as good as fires top bolt, having no dd is a bit annoying and gtaoe dont do as much dmg as u would like. tbh it didnt feel much different after speccing to ice inside a keep, i still had a lower lvl gtaoe in earth to interupt casters but now had 50 ice so pbaoe could kill some ppl wheraes earth gtaoe aint gonna kill much unassisted.

Wizzies seem to be one of the worst classes nowadays remove earth spec imo and spread the earth spells into ice and fire, perhaps give fire spec the bolt for a THIRD bolt? :D and ice gets the aoe root and the dot. Then fire and ice wizards could do some proper dmg again :) Fire wiz would be a giant dmg ranged nuker (as it should be) with 3 bolts and ice still ok in close range but can stay out of things if they want with the dot and snare and the ice dd.

may as well chuck in the top gtaoe spell for both lines its not going to kill any1 still :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom