Earth Twin Found 600 light years away!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
And beside the Chinese could do moon landings it for the fraction of the cost

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
You wouldn't do the Moon landings the same way though; you'd build facilities with robots first and try to go for a sustainable colony, so you can't really look at the costs of the 1960s as a template.

Exactly. Also NASA is pushing to get a lot of their services from small private space corporations these days and you can't compare the costs involved with those business to that of a government funded monolithic entity. I wouldn't be surprised if the next person to walk on the moon isn't actually part of a government funded space agency.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Exactly. Also NASA is pushing to get a lot of their services from small private space corporations these days and you can't compare the costs involved with those business to that of a government funded monolithic entity. I wouldn't be surprised if the next person to walk on the moon isn't actually part of a government funded space agency.

The next person to walk on the moon'll be chineese I reckon.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
They were discussing this on the radio this afternoon. There are roughly 300 billion stars in our galaxy alone. There are billions of galaxies. There are billions of planets. And we're supposed to be the only intelligent life in the universe? Crazy.

Anyway, had to laugh. One nutcase phoned in who reckoned the moon landing was staged and that he didn't believe man landed on the moon. When it was pointed out there were six manned missions to the moon and that we can actually bounce a laser off a reflective mirror left there he hung up. Most amusing.

Zarjazz

I'm surprised he hung up. The nuts I've heard who still believe it today despite that annoying thing called "logic" (mirrors? bah!) say it was obviously only the first moon landing that was faked in case it went wrong on live TV.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
One caller was quite interesting. A religious Moslem guy who had read widely on the subject. I didn't know but there are at least 6 or 10 (can't remember) references in the Koran stating that there is intelligent life out there and that these interstellar regions can be "penetrated with great power" (his words, translated from the Arabic). I didn't go to Sunday School, but I don't think the Jewish-Christian bibles go large on extra-terrestrial life...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm surprised he hung up. The nuts I've heard who still believe it today despite that annoying thing called "logic" (mirrors? bah!) say it was obviously only the first moon landing that was faked in case it went wrong on live TV.

It's not surprising tbh. He didn't want to hear a conclusive argument that required him to shatter his strongly-held belief - so he got out of there quickly.

Look at all the religious people still about - despite all the evidence showing that religion is a man-made phenomenon.

I didn't go to Sunday School, but I don't think the Jewish-Christian bibles go large on extra-terrestrial life...

Nope. The pope be burnin' yo ass for that kinda talk...

rynnor

Rockhound
They were discussing this on the radio this afternoon. There are roughly 300 billion stars in our galaxy alone. There are billions of galaxies. There are billions of planets. And we're supposed to be the only intelligent life in the universe? Crazy.

We are a possibly unique genetic accident - there's no grand plan in evolution that try's to create intelligent beings - most of the really sucessfull lifeforms are bacteria or fungus.

Even if you had a billion earths that actually had life present the odds of intelligent life existing there now would still be tiny.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Considering you have a sample size of 1, you have absolutely no idea what the odds are.

Zarjazz

From our perspective I would say it was 100%.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
And beside the Chinese could do moon landings it for the fraction of the cost

Yeah but all the parts would be made in China and therefore either wouldn't work to begin with or would stop working halfway to the moon.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Apparently, a repeat of the moon landing missions* would cost ~$750bn in todays money. So, a lot lot less than it's taken to bail out the banks.

The reason we're not going is political choice. And a poor one at that IMO.

*i.e. repeated landings and retrievals.

The stupid thing is that humans still think with money. It's as silly as religion to you, even if evidence shows that working together would benefit all of us.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The stupid thing is that humans still think with money. It's as silly as religion to you, even if evidence shows that working together would benefit all of us.

We live within a monetary system. I think we can understand that focussing our society on money is probably retarded yet we live in a system that requires a cost to be attached - and that's the cost...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom