Rant EA Origin

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
What a fucking load of shit

So I can't sleep and look over the games I have installed. Madden '08? Sure, why not? Have to log in to play it since I bought it ages ago in the EA store. No probs, I got my login memorized like a pro. Enter my username and pw, "hey bro, there's been an update to the EA download manager and it is now called Origin bla bla bla", yeah I know, I played daoc, I've been through this. It is 1am and I just wanna smash some skulls in Madden, okay? Download it so I can login and play! Download done in 2 minutes? Perfect, I can take a piss and grab a cold one in the fridge to knock me out. I read the form etc. accept, that folder, cool with me and so on. FINALLY installed the thing, so I log in to my EA account. I see the three games that I have purchased, FIFA11, Madden '07 and '08(lol I know, but they are still good, so not gonna grab the new ones). So I click Madden and the game launcher.. Launches! Hurrah! Time to play, so I press the little "play" button and waddayaknow?

"Please log on to your EA-Account to activate the selected game on this computer"

I did that, bitch! Back in '08 when I bought the game! Gah okay, I remember my login, like a pro. So I enter it again but then

"Could not connect to the server. Please try again in a few minutes" - Did I not JUST download this new Origin piece of shit from your servers and now you are telling me that I can't connect? Bet you if I went to your EAt SHIT Store and entered my credit card infos, there wouldn't be any problems!

Fuck off!

/rant

Chilly

Balls of steel
hate those dicks. at least steam works. Their no refunds policy is wank, though (and almost certainly illegal).

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Decided to play FIFA as that shit works. Found the CD-key so finally set up my online account. None at level1 were available for a match, but found a level7 who was waiting for a match. He took Tottenham and I went for Copenhagen. At half time I was up 4-0 and then his connection "timed-out"

Going to bed now, what a shit night for playing games

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Legit user = load of shite to put up with, wank support, can't play game.

Pirate user = install game, play.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Decided to play FIFA as that shit works. Found the CD-key so finally set up my online account. None at level1 were available for a match, but found a level7 who was waiting for a match. He took Tottenham and I went for Copenhagen. At half time I was up 4-0 and then his connection "timed-out"

Going to bed now, what a shit night for playing games
That won't be their servers that would be the dude dicing cause you spanking him and he don't want a loss on his record , FIFA is shit like that

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Pirate user = thief
This has been discussed for years across the globe, it is not theft. Go Google it. Anyway, I could have a pirate copy of a game installed on my PC without the wank DRM, the legit copy is on a shelf. Am I a "thief" as you put it....

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Origin is just plain gash. They need to fuck it off.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Pirate user = thief

Legit users have to put up with loads of copyright protection shite. Account creation, can't play game when the network is down, blah blah. It's the same with DVDs, stupid adverts you can't skip, copyright warnings you can't skip.

The only people who don't put up with this nonsense are those who pirate stuff, and I would imagine a fair number of people who pirate stuff do so because they're sick of the bullshit. Even when I go to the cinema I'm subjected to 20 minutes of adverts for shit I'm not interested in.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Theft involves the removal of the object, with piracy the object remains and a copy is made.

It's therefore not theft. It is still illegal though, obviously.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
It is a moral issue. If you feel you should support the makers or not. It is up to each person.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
No it's not - if you want it you pay for it. Whether you think someone deserves your money for it is irrelevant.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Do you mind coming and clearing out my shed tomorrow?

I won't pay you ofc.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Everything I want should be free to me unless I decide to give them money out of my flawed opinion on whether or not they "deserve" it!

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
If you are going to pirate a game at least have the bollocks to say "I am a thief"

I have less respect for people who think they are making some sort of protest against 'the man' by not paying than I do those who just say 'Yeah, I got it off newzbin/pirated etc."

Does your same 'moral issue' apply to food, cars, tv's etc etc?? I very much doubt it.

Man the fuck up.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Quite.

I don't pirate games at all. The last time I did was probably 5-6 years ago. I download most of my TV shows though and the odd film. I also rent a lot of films through lovefilm, go to the cinema now and again and have a full sky HD subscription. I justify my piracy by the amount of money I pay into the industry each month. At least £100 a month, plus any sky box office films we might fancy.

Yeah I know what I do is wrong but I can't say I care all that much. It took steam and a re-evaluation of moral stand point of the games industry for me to stop pirating games. Now all I need is for them to provide full pay per show instant access TV and I will stop pirating TV shows.

Edit, I might start making an exception for EA games though, Origin is just utter shit and if they won't allow me to buy them from Steam I will get them from a newsgroup.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Last time i pirated a game, i actually felt a little cheap. How about that.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What devs ought to start doing is flooding newsgroups and torrent sites with fakes or what appears to be the full game but with invisible walls/mobs/faulty weapons or whatever.

Frustrate the pirates into submission. DRM clearly doesn't work.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The problem is that takes a fair amount of dev work, and most devs would rather spend the time making the game better :)

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
If you are going to pirate a game at least have the bollocks to say "I am a thief"

No, you should at least have the bollocks to admit that what you're doing is against the law but that's it. Piracy isn't theft so why should you have to admit you're a thief? Downloading the odd game or movie doesn't make you a criminal because the law recognises there's a difference between taking something and making a copy of something.

Edit, I might start making an exception for EA games though, Origin is just utter shit and if they won't allow me to buy them from Steam I will get them from a newsgroup.

What are you doing with Origin that you have so many 'issues' with it? My copy just sits quietly in my system tray using 20mb of ram and never bothering me while I go about playing my EA games.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
When it comes to TV shows, I look on it as timeshifting them early.
Take Fringe for instance. The new ep aired in the US last night and there is already a 350mb version sat one of my drives waiting to be watched.
When Sky start showing it in a couple of weeks, I'll be watching it as it airs because that time it will be in HD. I do this with a number of shows. Grab the LQ version to get the story, then watch the HD version when it airs on Sky.

Origin however is something entirely different. I'm very dubious about requiring an internet connection just to play a game offline and I already have a collection of games on Steam. I'm so against EA about Origin that I'm giving serious consideration to which format I'm going to get Mass Effect 3 on. PC version means I can continue my ongoing save games but need Origin. PS3 means no Origin but I'd be playing the game from scratch. The only thing I can hope for is that EA release ME3 through Steam and allow the CD key to be attached to the Origin account.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What are you doing with Origin that you have so many 'issues' with it? My copy just sits quietly in my system tray using 20mb of ram and never bothering me while I go about playing my EA games.

Having to log on to play a single player game. More than once the Origin log in server has been down, which meant that I couldn't play any of my games...well I only have the one on there but still!
Everything is far more expensive than it should be, far worse than Steam ever was. It's RRP+£5 in most cases.
It just seems utterly pointless.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
No, you should at least have the bollocks to admit that what you're doing is against the law but that's it.

Point taken, my initial point still stands though, it's just stupid for someone to pretend they are making some sort of moral stand.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Having to log on to play a single player game. More than once the Origin log in server has been down, which meant that I couldn't play any of my games...well I only have the one on there but still!
Everything is far more expensive than it should be, far worse than Steam ever was. It's RRP+£5 in most cases.
It just seems utterly pointless.
Afaik you can play any game on Origin without using Origin... no idea how, never tried... but yeah you are completely right about the prices on Origin, they are fucking retarded... but Steam have the same problem with quite a few games as well :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom