EA buys Mythic

Starman

Part of the furniture
EA To Acquire Mythic Entertainment

Studio Recognized Worldwide for Top Development Talent, Critically Acclaimed Franchises and Ground-Breaking Online Experiences

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 20, 2006--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS - News) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Virginia-based Mythic Entertainment®. Upon completion of the acquisition, Mythic Entertainment will become EA Mythic, a wholly-owned studio dedicated to developing Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs). Mythic is recognized worldwide for revolutionizing the online gaming space with the award-winning Dark Age of Camelot® and is currently developing Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning(TM) under license agreement with Games Workshop.

The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals, and is expected to close during EA's second quarter of fiscal 2007. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Upon completion of the acquisition, Mark Jacobs, the President, Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of Mythic, will become Vice President, General Manager of EA Mythic. Rob Denton, the Vice President, Chief Operating Officer and co-founder of Mythic will assume the role of Vice President, Chief Operating Officer of EA Mythic. Mythic's 175-person development team will remain in Fairfax, Virginia.

"Mythic has always been a leading independent developer in the online space," says Mark Jacobs, CEO and co-founder of Mythic Entertainment. "EA's commitment to the online market as well as its focus on creating games of unsurpassed quality, scope and scale gives us opportunities and resources we could only dream about in the past."

"The addition of Mythic to the EA family reflects our deep commitment to the online gaming market worldwide. Mythic will bring one of the industry's most talented MMORPG teams to EA. Together, we will create games that will introduce MMO players to a whole new level of game play and excitement," said Paul Lee, President, EA Studios.

Good or bad you decide?

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Starman said:
Good or bad you decide?

good, EA has made good games, and know how to publish a game.
They just must keep their ahnds out of the design table:)

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
My point of view:

Let EA do the marketing, but not interfere with Mythics creative decisions. Because EA sucks at making games themselves.

I guess the good point is...at least they aren't bought out by SOE...now that would stink

Gog

One of Freddy's beloved
Time will tell. I can't say I'm a fan of EA, but Games workshop appear to be content and I can't see them allowing the Warhammer name to go down the toilet.

Vintersorg said:
Let EA do the marketing, but not interfere with Mythics creative decisions. Because EA sucks at making games themselves.

I can't see this happening unfortunately. This will change Mythic no matter how much Mark Jacobs insists otherwise. As part of EA the overriding emphasis will now be on pleasing the shareholders, rather than pleasing the players. There's a post on VN that sums it up, although it does seem to be a little overly negative - http://vnboards.ign.com/daoc_general_board/b5176/97390888/p9
EA WILL interfere in the whole design process if they are concerned that it's either costing too much money, or aren't happy about the returns rate. I just hope Mythic have an excellent business plan that they can wave under the shareholders noses to show them that leaving them alone is the best thing to do.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Starman said:
Good or bad you decide?
Good - as Mythic chose to enter this deal without needing to.

Mythic didn't go to them, EA came to Mythic.

Alliandre

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Good - as Mythic chose to enter this deal without needing to.

Mythic didn't go to them, EA came to Mythic.

That doesn't change the fact that EA will want to please their shareholders.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Alliandre said:
That doesn't change the fact that EA will want to please their shareholders.
Securing the publishing rights to the "next big MMO" should be enough to please them.

None of us know the details of the contract, at all. It's far to early to put on tinfoil hats and chime "doom, doooooooom!".

Edit, just to throw something else into the mix - a quote from Erik Mogensen at Games Workshop:
Erik Mogensen said:
1. I'll be working with the same great people at Mythic, and will continue to work with them toward our shared vision for WAR.
2. I've seen loads more art and design documentation than you could possibly imagine, and the game is shaping up beautifully. E3 was but a tiny taste of what's coming.
3. We now have the world's largest independant publisher throwing its weight behind this game.
4. I have the advantage of having spent many days at Mythic, and have seen first hand Mark and his team's passion for WAR and Warhammer in general. I don't just believe that they won't ever allow themselves to compromise on quality, I *know* it.
5. We at Games Workshop retain full approval over all uses Warhammer imagery, characters, etc. including everything in the game and in the marketing campaign.

So, in terms of the quality of the game nothing can change except for the better. Just as before, if you guys don't like the game in the end, you'll have only Mythic and GW to blame. *Someone* had to publish the game, and now that someone is EA. That they thought so much of WAR they decided to buy Mythic is a pretty encouraging sign of their faith in WAR. See? All great news

Dallas

Fledgling Freddie
ea = moneymachine..

2nd account for buffbot, or pl char or whatever, you name it, that im sure EA will force mythic to incorporate.. :(

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone remember Earth and Beyond, Ultima?

Say bye bye to DAoC and hello to WAR being released rediculously early in a worse state than most closed first betas.

I hope im wrong because I for one have been looking forward to this game for a long time.

rynnor

Rockhound
Starman said:
Good or bad you decide?

At the least I imagine it will delay development as things shakeout and people go through the adjusting phase.

If they move it to another site then your probably looking at 6 months to a years delay - hopefully they wont do that in the middle of development.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Dallas said:
ea = moneymachine..

2nd account for buffbot, or pl char or whatever, you name it, that im sure EA will force mythic to incorporate.. :(
The problem with that theory is that Mythic didn't sign this contract out of need. Thus, they would be complete and utter fools to put themselves in a position where their publisher could go in and dictate just about anything. I simply don't see this happening. They didn't need EA - thus their terms have to be really good for them to let this happen.

It's EA who's had to get the short end of the stick in this in order to secure the rights to publish the next big thing, as well as any future MMO's by Mythic (rebirth of Imperator for sure). My guess is that the contract is a very "hands-off" agreement. Besides - Games Workshop still owns the IP - they could always refuse changes being made to the game that they don't feel fit.

Sharaft

Fledgling Freddie
When i first heard about this i thought "oh my god, no, this aint happening! Daoc down in the toilet!" but after reading Whisperess thread im a little more conviced to "this might work". As long as Sanya Thomas stay at the top over DAOC nothing can go wrong! He have made DAOC better and better since when he became the top! If EA interefere there, you KNOW you can kiss DAOC goodbye!

That GW are full into this, and that they claim its encouraging that EA came to Mythic and not vice versa, its trueworthing, they know what their doing (i sure hope) but im still very sceptic! i wont say its a bad nor a good thing, im in the middle.. it might approve to better chances but also turn into insta death! as mention Time will show!

N

Nored

How can we say if it's either good or bad, without us knowing what will change?

EA is quite experienced when it comes to making, selling and maintaining games. That is a good thing, but we've also seen EA cancel projects after the bought a game studio (ie Westwood).

But as Mythic will become EA Mythic, I don't think EA will change a lot to it, but that's just a tought. Let's wait for some more information from either EA or Mythic before we decide if it's either good or bad.

Sharaft

Fledgling Freddie
Nored said:
EA is quite experienced when it comes to making, selling and maintaining games.

They also got experience with making very bad games, like the LOTR and HP games, all these games was made on 1 purpose! MAKE ALOT OF MONEY ON SHORT TIME! They made the game within months, marked it, and earns money on it, not even putting a well.. this sounds bloody lame.. "soul" in it. They have never made a game that will be remembered in 20 years to be a great game, yet.. (NO NFSU-series is not something to remember). Mythic on the other hand will be remembered! Daoc, and if Warhammer not get canceld (theres REALLY a doubt that they wont!) they got 2 games to be proud of, VERY proud.. not 25 games just put on a sampleband just to earn money! But i think it will turn out good now, as i was researching a bit yesterday, EA wont interfere with the MMO's as they have no good experience with it, wich also was the case they came to Mythic, and mythic didnt need EA! I think they are the ones that will market it for PS and X360 as there Mythic dont got good experience but EA got.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
I think all of the anti-EA brigade don't realise how arsey GW can be.

Games Workshop are reknowned for pulling out of things they don't like... Various hollywood companies have had the rights to do warhammer based movies for years but can't produce them cos GW pull the plug on anything that knackers their world up.

This game has the potential to make them millions but it will (and will always be) a drop in the ocean compared to the money they make on 40k wfb etc etc. Along with the fantasy books, the works. GW won't let anyone change their world because it underpins their whole marketting strategy and business model.

WHFRP has been produced by hogshead for the last 3 -4 years since GW stopped carrying the game. The only way hogshead got the rights to publish the game and supplements was by agreeing to never ever change anything in the stuff they bought or in any future stuff that hogshead produces. They are only allowed to create new adventures, lore,geogrpahy, events, races must all be left as they are in the supplements.

I think mythic will pull it off tbh. I think it will take some fixing when it first comes out as all mmo's do. Personally I am looking forwards to rolling an orc warrior and decorating him with the heads of pointy faced elves

M

Sharaft

Fledgling Freddie
mongoose, have you read about it? they say the world Mythic created was fantastic, EA wont change anything on the game, Warhammer will be realized, its also a planned BETA in the upcoming autumn, aswell as it won SEVERAL awards on E3! think url is www.warhammeronline.com, there is movies there where you can see 2 of the mythic team playing the game and explaining..

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
aye I have mate although I haven't seen the vids and tbh I haven't bothered checking the webbie out ;)

I saw a couple of articles on E3 - the stuff about being able to decorate your character with skulls and things and fetishes was nice and the whole 3 phased combat idea also sounds very very good. Until then I wasn't going to check it out until nearer release as you often see bold claims that are rarely realised.

My point was that GW will pull the plug if EA do their the world must change so it fits our marketting thing.

M

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Sharaft said:
As long as Sanya Thomas stay at the top over DAOC nothing can go wrong! He have made DAOC better and better since when he became the top!
Whoa, hey now.

First of all, Sanya Thomas is a she - second, she's "only" the Director of Community Relations over at Mythic and has little to nothing to do with Daoc's evolvement. :)

Take a closer look at Mark Jacobs (CEO of Mythic) and especially Walt Yarbrough for that stuff :p

Sharaft

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Whoa, hey now.

First of all, Sanya Thomas is a she - second, she's "only" the Director of Community Relations over at Mythic and has little to nothing to do with Daoc's evolvement. :)

Take a closer look at Mark Jacobs (CEO of Mythic) and especially Walt Yarbrough for that stuff :p

oh fack lol.. im just a herald noob that always think that ok.. she.. has done the changes to the game.. assed me out there hehe

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Vintersorg said:

I guess the good point is...at least they aren't bought out by SOE...now that would stink

tbh i think i'd pick SOE over EA :(

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Sharaft said:
EA wont change anything on the game,

oh they will.. name ONE game EA have been able to stay the fuck away from when they say they were gonna?

EA just *might* stay away from WAR the first year after they bought Mythic, after that they WILL start fucking up the patches/Expansions....

100% guaranteed :(

Sharaft

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
oh they will.. name ONE game EA have been able to stay the fuck away from when they say they were gonna?

EA just *might* stay away from WAR the first year after they bought Mythic, after that they WILL start fucking up the patches/Expansions....

100% guaranteed :(

its not 100% guaranteed, i just say time will tell.. so what if they actually for once do something good? remember MMO is not easy money, they know they fook up if they are too hasty..

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Ctuchik said:
oh they will..
Only if the contract allows it.

Seeing as how Mythic didn't need this deal, I'm fairly sure the contract is pretty strict.

Tio McShire

Fledgling Freddie
Can someone clarify a point for me....
Will this mean that UK subscribers will no longer have to pay GOA for the pleasure of this game?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Only if the contract allows it.

Seeing as how Mythic didn't need this deal, I'm fairly sure the contract is pretty strict.

Mythic did not have the ability to promote WAR on the scale that EA can, Mythic needed this and im wondering if in the future it comes out that GW had a hand in getting EA on-board.

If you want to compete with the WoW's of this world you have to have a cashpot for promotions or a skilled internal promotions team and the know-how to get the message to the target audience (most likley console players).

Love or hate EA, they do one thing better than any other games company, and thats advertising.

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Tallen said:
Love or hate EA, they do one thing better than any other games company, and thats advertising.

I thought you were going to say "make money hats".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom