Ea attempts to buy Mythic

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
''MMORPG.COM News: EA-Mythic: No Deal
Date: Apr 03, 2006
Author: Dana Massey

Over the last few weeks, many sources have reported on a rumored deal that would have seen industry giant Electronic Arts purchase Mythic Entertainment.
"We have no deal with EA," said Mark Jacobs, the CEO of Mythic Entertainment emphatically. "We are currently not talking to EA."
His declaration ends weeks of speculation about the future of the Fairfax, Virginia based developers of Dark Age of Camelot and the upcoming Warhammer Online.
Jacobs admitted the two companies had held conversations both recently and in the past, but he made clear that there is no deal planned or in the works with Electronic Arts or any other company.
During a recent meeting, Jacobs admitted that he has received countless lucrative offers to purchase the company he co-founded. While some would have made him exceedingly wealthy, he has a very definite idea of what he needs to make it work.
"I will not now, not ever do a deal that puts the people at Mythic who made this company great at risk," he said, before adding that this concern is not what killed any potential EA deal.''

Taken from mmorpg.com (sorry if its already been posted, did look but coulden't see anything).

Glad mythic decided not to sell out tbh, EA seems to be taking over the world lately :/

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Thank fuck, every time EA buys a company they end up ruining every game they make, bullfrog and redwood studios (C&C) anyone? Every game EA churn out is just more mediocre mass market shit. No thanks.

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
No way he can say he is in negotiations if he is, the other party wouldnt like that. All this sais is there been negotiations and they just didnt offfer enuf as he want too be filthy rich not rich ;)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Thank god.

EA are the worst thing that ever happened to alot of games out there. As doc said, they screwed up C&C good and proper, dont think I'll ever forget that.

I dont usually talk like this, but EA are the biggest bunch of wankers around tbh :wanker: <- (first time I used that smiley! :eek: hopefully the last heh)

Keata

Fledgling Freddie
EA might suck, but SoE is even worse...

They turned one of the best MMORPS's into a WoW clone.. Yep you guessed it... Warcraft Galaxies..

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Can you imagine... EA take over, DAOC gets wiped every year and instead of patches they release a new DAOC 2007, DAOC 2008, DAOC 2009.......

Still would help give incentive for people to go outside n stuff instead :)

Ozilia

Fledgling Freddie
Phew.. Mark Jacobs deserves a cookie... like you say, EA should have stayed at doing sports games.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Keata said:

They turned one of the best MMORPS's into a WoW clone.. Yep you guessed it... Warcraft Galaxies..

It sucked for all the oldies yes (including me) but they are getting more new players now then they did before.

But for me I canceled when that complete rework came.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
DocWolfe said:
Thank fuck, every time EA buys a company they end up ruining every game they make, bullfrog and redwood studios (C&C) anyone? Every game EA churn out is just more mediocre mass market shit. No thanks.

You mean Westwood ;)

EA wanted Mythic for one reason, they saw the potential of the Warhammer licence and what could be done with it in an MMORPG enviroment. To be blunt, the saw how much money Blizzard are making off WoW and wanted something that could compete and deliver huge revenues, Warhammer is a massively popular peice of IP and if done right could deliver millions of subscriptions. EA want a peice of that pie.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Keata said:

no SOE isnt worse, they are just as bad as EA is, the only diffrence is the name.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
DocWolfe said:

i dunno, NFS:MW is pretty nice.

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
Phooka said:
No way he can say he is in negotiations if he is, the other party wouldnt like that. All this sais is there been negotiations and they just didnt offfer enuf as he want too be filthy rich not rich ;)

During a recent meeting, Jacobs admitted that he has received countless lucrative offers to purchase the company he co-founded. While some would have made him exceedingly wealthy, he has a very definite idea of what he needs to make it work.
"I will not now, not ever do a deal that puts the people at Mythic who made this company great at risk," he said..

seems he didnt wanna sell at any price with concern of the company and its subscribers, ace work imo!

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Its only a matter of time until the world is ruled by a few megacorporations - im glad Mark Jacobs chose to make it take a little longer at any rate.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Good stuff.

What I associate with EA is using popular movies and concepts and making something cheap and easy to sell of.

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
it will turnup as bloodbowl instead of warhammer :<

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Big it up for Mark Jacobs. I can imagine that the sum offered was very considerable.

If you consider that Mythic actually sit on 1 good licence (DAOC) and 1 potentially very big licence (Warhammer Online) and more importantly they have alot of experience in the MMORPG market. As has been seen alot, experience counts.

I know we all have a good biatch about GOA/Mythic, but they really are quite good. They listen to their customers (Ok - sometimes not that well), I think alot of people don't appreciate how much input the player base gets into the game, when compared to over MMORPGs.

atos

Fledgling Freddie
TBH I'm amazed DAoC have not reacived more publicity during the years. It has outclasses more other MMORPGs through the past 4 years and I still say its the best.

Take WoW for example.. every player I talk to says the PvP sucks. Why would anyone pay to play an online rpg with just good PvE? Seems utter shite tbh. Ok, Everquest2 is one thing... but

Moriatroll

Fledgling Freddie
yet there are more ppl playing wow than there are ppl in finland.

great decision from mythic, ea only makes games that are not worth buying imo, some maybe like their sports games but then they should just keep doing sport games and leave the mmorpg's alone to less greedy and more skilled companies.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Tbh I would in some respects rather the masses played WoW and not DAOC - kinda makes it feel like a cool exclusive club that only the true mmorpg players know about - leave the rest to the no0bs :)

Though RvR with 1000 a side would be teh mega fun...and mega laggy - you cast spell.....you wait 14 hours....spell is resisted...you cast it again.....you are still waiting 2 days later.... Can you feel the tension in those kind of battles!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom