Dwarf Fortress

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Is this everything thats good about PC gaming?

Seriously, its free, complicated, amazing, unforgiving, funny, unique.

Try it!

I use the Mayday tileset (to quote PCGamer, the original looks like you keyboard sneezed);

May Green

and a good newbie guide is here;

The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress – Part 1: “WTF?” « After Action Reporter

and trust me, you will need a guide.

The combat dynamic is so detailed, all creatures have bone/fat/skin etc so you can break a bone without breaking skin. In PCGamer there was a funny quote for a developed where they discovered an executioner dwarf who had broken both his arms, in order to kill people he used his teeth and carried the dead people's limbs around in his teeth for years.

Please play it!

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I used to play it at work in ASCII. Everyone thought I was doing some complicated server shit. Nope, I was playing Dwarf Fortress, bitches!

Helme

Resident Freddy
I used to play it a few years back before the 3D version was released, with 3D it became too easy to win - there's really no threats anymore apart from maybe overpopulation.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I used to play it a few years back before the 3D version was released, with 3D it became too easy to win - there's really no threats anymore apart from maybe overpopulation.

What do you mean, "win"? 3D version? Are we on about the same game?

Helme

Resident Freddy
The 3D version is the one with multiple layers, you can dig down etc. The old "2D" version was all on one floor, and it had invasions and shit to deal with and you were pretty much guaranteed to run into terrible shit when you were digging. By winning I mean that the entire point of the game is to lose in spectacular fashion, it became pretty much impossible to lose in the 3D version.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Are there any games you aren't good at Helme?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
haha thanks for the newb guide for this, I've dabbled a few times but always been put off. I'm now thoroughly engrossed. Some of the things that happen are amazing.

this is a good example of why this should be an example of gameplay>graphics

I just had a hairless giant porcupine daemon capture a miner, rip his legs and arms off, carry him over a hundred z-levels down to a sea of magma and then chuck him in. The daemon then renamed the minor’s pick, came back up into my fortress and began to slaughter all the dwarves with his new artifact pick. I forget the name he used but it was pretty weird.

Time to restart a new fortress and maybe take a bit more caution while digging down.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
hahah love it :)

still dabbling around with it, its tough to remember each thing to do without looking at the guides but I'm getting there.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
argh stick at a bit of an impasse now

got about 40 dwarves happily living away in a 3 level fortress.

Unfortunately my military consists of 10 dwarves sharing 1 axe and a leather hat, and I darent dig any deeper incase I find something that I'm really not prepared to deal with (which at the moment would probably be anything bigger than a centipede.........)

Without access to metal I cant see any way of arming myself apart from, training weapons or waiting for a merchant, are they my only options.

My crack military has already dealt with an invasion of incredibly nasty macaw parrots (ok there were 2, and it was actually a dog that got all the hits in, but they were incredibly annoying). and I dont want the plucky fellows to be torn limb from limb attempting to wrestle giant crocodiles :(

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
You usually have to go at least 10 levels below the surface to reach the caverns, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could always wall it off if you open it accidentally and don't feel safe.

Did you check when embarking that some kinda iron ore exists at your location?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
yeah shallow metals and deep metals.

Depends how shallow, shallow is I suppose. I could just dig extensively on the sub levels im already on and see if I come across anything.

I might pick some incredibly brave souls from my camp and wall them off in there own little base to dig down, so if it all goes pear shaped losses are minimised :)

Helme

Resident Freddy
Just make weapons of elfbones or something, they'll do fine as long as the dwarves are semi-competent :p

Helme

Resident Freddy
Put the marketplace in a hollow, put gates on the ramps up linked to a switch and then redirect a river or just pump in some water and drown the fuckers then drain the hollow and just take all their stuff.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
hahaha the combat in this game is awesomely funny.

Minotaur wanders into the area and makes a beeline for my fortress. I've got 10 dwarves in 2 squads for defence but no traps setup yet.

Minotaur piles into the guards and starts battering the militia captain, eventually pulling her arm off. Captain faints, and minotaur starts beating the recruits to death with the captains arm.

goes on with the recruits getting a few hits in but getting a bit of a pummeling before the captain comes round and with her first hit manages to cut half the minotaurs head off, before passing out again.

Minotaur then goes squealing off, dwarf recruits in tow, trying to finish it off.

combat reports are hilarious.

I've quickly setup a medical area, because there's gonna be a LOT of bits to stick back on lol

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
What happened to your 'LOLZ GRFX' thing then?

Believe it or not but i actually played this alot back in the days, but got tired of it. Well, this thread got me into the game again /:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, been reading about it recently. Worried about timesink possibilities but I think I'm gonna have to finally take the plunge. Generating my first world now. Even though the music is repetetive I'm already in love with it :(

Anyone still playing this? @Shagrat?

Been a big update recently.

This story is currently amusing me :)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Have to say I keep thinking about giving this another go, haven't played for a while, will have to get the new update and have a look, did find it funny to play.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What about you @fettoken, @pikeh? You still playing?

Just picked a really easy starting area and now about to go through setting up the seven dwarves and their starting stuff. Bit of reading to do. Though I think I've found my work from home game of choice.

Wonder if it'll run decently on my crappy intel atom laptop - or even whether it'd be better to RD into my PC and play it like that.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
man, I did start playing again a while ago after the latest patch release, but Im a serial world re-roller and never really found the perfect spot!

Its such a great game if you can get over the learning curve - I dont think its as arcane as it used to be however. Get some tilepacs and the lazy newb pack or w/e its called now and you're set. I think performance will only get bad if you make a large embark with a 200 dwarf pop cap, the LNP can lower pop cap as well so this'll probably make it easier going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom