DVI and VGA connectors

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
Hi,

I know you can get a converter for a DVI output on a Gfx card to output a VGA for standard monitors.

But :) Can you get a converter to convert a VGA Gfx card to output to a DVI input on an LCD screen?

Thanks for your help :)

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
In a word: "No."

There are varying degrees of "no" depending on what you mean.

If you want to magically convert the analogue VGA to a digital DVI before it reaches your LCD panel, then that's a huge resounding no.
It'd be rather pointless as you've already lost some of the information in the analogue stage. DVI is only good if the entire path is digital.

If, however, you just have an LCD that only has DVI inputs and you don't care about the quality, then that's just a boring, normal no.

With DVI->VGA the drivers instruct the card to throw an analogue VGA signal out of the DVI port, and you have that funny converter thing plugged into the back of the card.

I don't think it works the other way becase DVI connectors have more pins.

It may be possible to get special coonverters with VGA in and DVI out, but that would certainly cost more than any of the mid-range cards with DVI connectors (and you'd get a better picture from them, too)

I'd put "HTH" here, but I probably haven't :)

MrB.

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
Bugger :(

I have currently a Dell 2001FP 20" LCD screen it has 1x DVI 1x VGA 1x S-Video and 1x Coax inputs on the back, I was going to purchase as 2nd for my 3+ PC's only problem is they all only have VGA outputs except my games machine which uses the DVI cable.

Guess I will have to buy a cheap Gfx card for my non-gaming shuttle with a DVI Output on it :/

Its a pity the DVI adapter for the Shuttles doesn't support resolutions above 1280x1024 (Dell uses 1600x1200) :(

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom