Film DVD VAT

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
This was announced a few weeks ago (remember the story about Play.com getting sold?). Worse news for me, it looks like Irish VAT is going up to 23% in the new year :(

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
We're already watching chains like HMV sliding down the pan plus they've missed all that revenue that could have been collected over so many years. So isn't this all a bit "too little, too late" really?

DaGaffer

Not really, as its a loophole that could be used for other things in the future if its not sorted out now (it originally started out as a special exemption to protect Jersey's flower exports, and then it was used for mail order contact lenses before the likes of Play started to exploit it). HMV is doomed irrespective.

Chilly

Balls of steel
If HMV cant operate, then they are not wanted in the marketplace. So be it. People are voting with their wallets as they should. It's a long time since you could have a really good chat with the staff in a HMV about the latest LP from [random tiny underground band] and when you could get it in. This entire industry is moving online, it's not dissapearing. We still have shops selling underground music and we still have turbo nerds willing to chat to you about it at length. The high street is turning into a long row of starbucks and I end up on them less and less as time goes by. Perhaps it'll all be turned into flats one day?

DaGaffer

I'll miss the High Street though. Not so much to actually buy anything, but just because there'll be nowhere to browse while the missus is buying shoes. The side effect of all this is that every women's clothes shop in the country will need more seats outside the changing rooms for the bored-out-of-their-mind husbands and boyfriends. Its a conspiracy I tells ya.

Embattle

FH is my second home
This was announced a few weeks ago (remember the story about Play.com getting sold?). Worse news for me, it looks like Irish VAT is going up to 23% in the new year :(

Yes I remembered that one but now there is some real substance behind it, wonder how many will leave the channel islands.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Guy in work wondered how hard this will hit work on Jersey there is no need for Amazon to ship from Indigo Starfish so all that work comes back to Amazon on the mainland. HMV and Play have no need to stay there and could move operations to cheaper parts of the country?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom