DVD + RW question

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Is it possible to irretrieveably damage a DVD+RW disc?

I have 5 of them, I burnt a film onto one the other day, watched it with no problems. When I try to burn again to that disc, my computer throws a fit. It appears to be able to erase it ok, but it just locks up when I burn to it.

If I burn to another disc, everything is ok. The drive is an LG 5160D which I believe does everything except making cups of tea. Its connected through the USB2 port (firewire didn't work so well).

I've not tried burning and then burning again for fear of damaging another disc, I'm using the latest Nero 6 software. Is there a mode that I should use, or is it automatic like CDRW?

Bob007

Prince Among Men
settings should be auto, But i would try burning it at min speed. some drives/disc burn slower on a rewrite, May be the problem.

And yes, RW can be damaged easy. But it would be visable damage not dye damage, Dye damage would prevent you burning it in first place.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I had a DVD-RW drive(Ricoh) with serious compatibilty issues. It would lock-up, make weird sounds and sometimes freeze windows. Eventually I solved it by buying a Pioneer drive.

You could check the drive's website for updated firmware. Or buy different makes of DVD-RW discs, some work better than others depending on your drive.

Though the first thing I'd do, is try another DVD-RW disc and see if the same occurs. In which case you'll need another make of DVD-RW discs.

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
It's not that unusual for DVD-RW's to die I've found. They seem to break much faster than cd-rw's, at least in my experience. It's not totally awesome when there's 5 minutes left of a movie you've just burnt, and the disc decides to stop being readable... :D

Also sometimes when discs have done that whole lockup shit, I've found that you might be able to fix it by holding shift when inserting the disc. That way it wont autospin, so you can do a full format of it. It's worked a couple of times for me.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thanks for the help, its burning them fine, I'll try burning a used one again, tomorrow.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Twatknuckles. Its not formatting or writing to discs that I've already written to.

So either the discs are incompatible, or I'm writing them wrong somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom