DVD Player Issue

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Right MY TV has Fubard so I am borrowing one for the moment. The problem is the connection of my stuff to it.

Before my TV went I had my DVD player connected to my TV via a SCART cable. I had my cable connected to my video and video to TV.

Anyway I would like to know if I can connect all my stuff up to a TV without a SCART socket? I can connect my scart to my video from my DVD player but it dont come on.......ermmm Help Im confused :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It could be macrovision copy protection scrambling the VCR. If you want to connect the cable and vcr to the tv without scart, then use the rf connection. You will have to tune in the tv to both the cable box and the vcr. The vcr will have to be tuned to the cable box if you want to record things from it.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Ahhhh I get it. It stops people recording DVD's. Bah thats pants then. I will just have to try and put up with no DVD's for a few days :(

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Question from me regarding this sort of thing, which gives the best piccy from DVD to TV? S-video or Scart?

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Stazbumpa said:
Question from me regarding this sort of thing, which gives the best piccy from DVD to TV? S-video or Scart?

Stupidly expensive S-Video cable apparently. I havent actually seen this myself but youll certainly get a very decent picture with RGB Scart. For a fraction of the cost. I got an S-Video cable for my PS2 (cost me £30) and the picture is no where near as good as my £8 RGB scart cable that i got afterwards

Tom

I am a FH squatter
RGB Scart will give the best signal, but this of course depends upon the ability of your TV to encode this information properly. You'll also need to check that your TV actually supports this method of delivery. Sometimes, out of 3 Scart sockets, only 1 can accept RGB.

S-Video only provides separate channels for Chromanence and Lumanence, better than composite video, but its not as good as component video.

Vertigo1

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
RGB Scart will give the best signal, but this of course depends upon the ability of your TV to encode this information properly. You'll also need to check that your TV actually supports this method of delivery. Sometimes, out of 3 Scart sockets, only 1 can accept RGB.
Tell me about it. My Sony has 3 SCARTs, but only 1 supports RGB. My father's Panasonic has 2 RGB compatible SCARTs on it.

I remember when the Sky man first came round, several years back, and gleefully said "oh you'll get a much better picture off the digibox using RGB, I'll just switch these cables round", at which point I nearly hit him and told to leave the f*cking DVD connection alone!!! :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Aye scart gives better picture, gold connections preferably.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well the easiest way is to just open it up, and see how many pins are wired. If they're all connected, then its RGB. If only a few are connected, its composite.

When you buy a SCART, there should be a difference in price that will give you an idea, as well as info on the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom