DVD Playback

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I just got a laptop from work. It's W2K and comes with a DVD drive. I put WMP 9 on it myself but what is the best way to make it play back DVDs ?

I'm not keen to install a codec pack as they are usually infested with shite and it's a work laptop.

Any ideas ?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
trade it in and make them give you a powerbook :)

seriously though, iirc WMP9 won't play dvd's by itself for some reason that I can't recall. there's something you have to get from MS before it will. sorry, I have no idea really. got two dvd drives at home but I watch movies on the hifi system.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Wij

Windows Media Player won't play DVDs by default because DVD codecs usually require a licence fee and Microsoft weren't too keen on spending millions on this essentially free software.

So you basically have two choices if you're not keen on using the codec packs you mention (I must admit I haven't dabbled with them myself). Your first choice is to install another DVD player, such as PowerDVD or WinDVD, which allows Windows Media Player to seemlessly utilise that application's codec. Most DVD drives come with 'free' DVD software, so check if you have a disk floating around somewhere.

Alternatively, you can purchase just the codec from one of Microsoft's partners (nVidia, Cyberlink etc.) from Microsoft's codecs page. These cost around £7.50-£10 at the time of writing and, once installed, will allow WMP to playback DVDs without having any other DVD software installed. The only downside is most of them downmix 5.1 into stereo sound, but if you're not fussed then they may be worth considering.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. If your system can manage the extra bulk, Windows Media Player 10 is out with some nifty new features.

Chilly

Balls of steel
il vouch for media player classic, its very good and plays DVDs fine with no messing about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom