Help DvD drive problem/OS installation

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I built my new ASUS motherboard based PC at the weekend and everything seemed fine until I tried to install the OS.

The bios picks up the DvD drive and the new SSD but the DvD drive doesn't seem to spin and it just ends up going back to the bios - I know the drive was working last week because I burnt a CD for the car with it and I didn't remove it from the case. I just took the old gubbins out and put the new PC in.

I have tried plugging it into different SATA sockets on the motherboard and its the same, picked up in the bios but doesn't spin.

Could it be as simple as a bios setting? I can't really be arsed to buy a new DvD drive just because I very rarely use it and can live without it.

I managed to work around it (kind of) by putting my old SSD in and booting to windows, miraculously it allowed me to boot into windows, initiate the new SSD and allowed me to install windows on it (from a USB drive). However, it will not boot if I take out the old OS SSD out.

It also see the DvD drive in windows, if I put a disk in it doesn't spin and tells me to insert a disk then ejects the windows disk. Disk isn't scratched and also tried various other DvDs, still nothing.

Do SSDs need a boot sector? I had originally planned on keeping the old 60gig SSD as windows installation only, 2nd 250gig SSD as games and a new 3tb drive as the media drive

Unfortunately my only local mate that isn't a console noob has an IDE DvD drive and my new motherboard doesn't have IDE sockets.

I can probably manage as the PC is working perfectly, but with the annoying dual boot thing and having 60gig of SSD room wasted, which bothers me!

soze

I am a FH squatter
Are all your Sata ports the same? One that I built had raid Sata ports but also had one spare which was a different speed and you had to use that for the DVD Drive.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Can you not use the Microsoft 'windows 7 USB tool' thing (I'll find link later when on pc - works with win 7 and 8 despite name) to make a bootable windows install USB? As long as you have an iso of the windows disc it works perfectly. I installed straight to a new 120gb SSD the other day with no problems.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah thats what I did to get the 2 installs.

Anyway. Turns out it was that the DvD drive had simply failed, a case of over googling something :)

Borowed one from the IT guy at work and installed no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom