DvD Camcorders

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hi guys,

tasked with getting a DVD camcorder in the new year - had a look at some today and they use a mini dvd to record to.... do these mini dvd's go in any old dvd player?? What's the best way to get the recordings onto standard dvd's or isn't worth it?

Any recommendations?

Ta muchly :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
yeah, like mini cds they fit in anything - thats what the smaller ring in your DVD drive is for ;) You can get the disks almost anywhere, our local Asda does packs of 10 for a tenner.

DVD to DVD copy would be the easiest way on your PC ;)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
They don't hold much info though Jup, I think they are 30 minutes record time. I think many people are disappointed when they buy a dvd camcorder (a couple of my mates included in that).

May I suggest you get a hard drive recorder, the JVC Everio is meant to be teh sex and that hard drive holds 30 hours last time I looked at one.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Trem said:
They don't hold much info though Jup, I think they are 30 minutes record time. I think many people are disappointed when they buy a dvd camcorder (a couple of my mates included in that).

May I suggest you get a hard drive recorder, the JVC Everio is meant to be teh sex and that hard drive holds 30 hours last time I looked at one.

Thanks Trem, but it's for the mrs and she wants just easy 'record then play' ability.... I have seen combi ones with HD AND DvD... any use?

Trem

I don't know about the combi ones.

I am quite sure your mrs will get annoyed at swapping a dvd every 30 minutes, then initiallising it and all the time while you are doing this you are missing stuff.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Agree with Trem (and both of his mates) - we have a Hitachi DVD cam at work for the front door and the 30 mins thing is pants. HDD ones are a little bit heavier than DVD but for the extra record time and less stressful usage (how annoying is it to have to initialise/format the discs all the time - it just doesn't seem worth the effort for 30 mins of record time), HDD cams win hands down.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Might be a bit old now - but MiniDV cams are dirt cheap at the moment - only downside is losing the instant record/play thing - you have to put up with old fashioned things like rewinding ;)

Got a samsung one myself - very good indeed, connects straight to my PC through firewire and doubles as a webcam and what not.

Had a little experience with the HDD cams though and I must say they are very impressive. Bit too much money for me, but if you can afford it - no reason not to :D

Trem

Aye I would rather go with the tape ones over the dvd, thats how much a pain in the arse they are Jup.

If you did go for the combi ones it would be for the hard drive feature on them so you may as well go for the stand alone ones.

Honestly luv trust us on this, go for either HD or tape rather than dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom