DVD "backup" software

G

If i wanted to make a "backup" of my original (shop bought) DVD and could not be arsed to rip it to my hard drive, is there some software that could read the original disk and then write it straight to the blank DVD?

:m00:

IF i had a DVD rom and a DVD writer in my PC.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not sure. They normally have some copy protection so you have to rip it to remove that. Plus - shop DVD's are about 7.5 Gig - where the ones you write are only 4.5ish so you have to do some sort of compression etc....

....so probably not. :(

leggy

Probably Scottish
dvdshrink lets you remove all the crap you don't need (like menus etc.) and can burn the move and the 5.1 DTS sound track to the blank DVD. Or it can compress it to fit. Whatever you think is best.

It's freeware too which is a bonus. :)

Google dvdshrink as I cba looking for it.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Ok, get a program called DvdDecryptor from - http://www.doom9.org/

This will get past the protection so that you can read it to your hard drive.

If it is a large file you will need to compress it using a program called Dvd2One, you can get this from here - http://www.dvd2one.com/

Dont forget to burn the image back in Nero that every file off the dvd you have read has to go into a folder entitled VIDEO_TS and make another folder (that remains empty) entitled AUDIO_TS.

Good luck, its a twat first time you do it but its second nature after a couple of goes.

Edited to say - www.trinsic.org(but you aint heard that off me....roight!)

Will

/bin/su
I'm moving this to the Hardware forum. I don't know enough about the subject to moderate it.;)

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
There is a program that can rip a dvd then transfer it straight to another dvd without having to go through dvd decrpter and stuff but I can't remember what the damn thing was called, it may be DVDXCopy but I'm not certain.

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Ignore everyone above unless they mentioned dvdshrink. It's all you need.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
brooky said:
If i wanted to make a "backup" of my original (shop bought) DVD and could not be arsed to rip it to my hard drive...

You need to rip to your hard drive using dvdshrink, plus you actually need to rip 2 copies because you also need to decrypt with dvddecryptor, I agree thats the way to go but it's not exactly not ripping to HD is it :)

Cyradix

FH is my second home
dvdshrink is the best!!!

I use it to "backup" all my dvd's ;)

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Try DVDFab as an alternative to DVD Shrink. Its not free but the biggest advantage is that it will split episode disks across two Dvds, so you dont loose any quality. It also does everything DVD shrink does.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
SheepCow said:
Any reason you say that? Or do you just suck?
He doesn't just suck. For an extra tenner he'll feel your balls.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Someone here was gonna find out how I could turn my DVDs into XViDs or DivXs all automatically without messing with sound and stuff like that. I dunno if I've already missed that answer, and I can't even remember who it was :(

Can this DVD Shrink do this?

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive not used it personally (no DVD player), but CloneCD was the dogs danglies at 'backing up' CDs. They now do a Clone DVD version. If it does what it says on the tin, then its probably good.

As I said, Ive never looked at it though so no flaming me if its rubbish. Im just going on previous product experience

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I use DVDXCOPY....dogs bollox, tbh....even copies the newest protected DVDs....you get the chance to add the extra features....it'll even try its best to fit onto a single disk.

Don't think you can just buy it tho....recently the film industry nearly closed DVDXCOPY down (coz it is REALLY good)...the only way it has survived is by removing its ability to copy protected disks (hence the most recent versions of the software are not much use). If you want a copy with full functionality, you'll have to get it from a fileshare :mad: try version 1.2.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom