dumbell exercises

- English -

Resident Freddy
For the people who do weights, what kind of exercises do you do? Basic bicep pull ups is what i do atm. I wanna get into some routine but i feel the bicep pulls are boring etc. Anyone got any tips on stuff to do :p

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
what are your lifting goals? And you are gunna need to do more than concentrate on your arms :p

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Darksword said:
what are your lifting goals? And you are gunna need to do more than concentrate on your arms :p

Bench press and bicep curls 20 sets each 3 times a week m8 :D

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Vladamir said:
Bench press and bicep curls 20 sets each 3 times a week m8 :D

LOW WEIGHT THO YEH BECAUSE YOU DONT WNAT TO BUILD STRENGTH JUST GO AFTER THE PUMP! WOOOOW THE PUMP!

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Actually, Schwarzenegger's 'Encyclopaedia Of Modern Bodybuilding' is a very good knowledge base of exercises. Yes, he was 'roided up, but that doesn't change the validity of the mechanics of the stuff in the book. Just training your biceps won't do much, to be honest - people obsess about biceps but they're a tiny crap muscle; your triceps are bigger and stronger anyway. If you're going to do weights with any level of seriousness, you need to work out a complete program to do the whole body so everything's balanced.

When it comes to arms, don't train your biceps in isolation, you'll need to build triceps and, ideally, forearms as well for things to be in proportion. I found that 2 sets of high-weight/low-rep with a barbell followed by 2 sets of low-weight/high-rep doing preacher curls worked best for me, but everyone needs to find the routine that works best for them. And yes, biceps are boring :D.

By the way, form is everything in weight training, both to maximise muscle usage and also - more importantly - to avoid injury. Try to use free weights wherever possible, because they force you to use support muscles properly and really concentrate on getting the form right. Machines are, by and large, a crutch - the only machine I was ever a big fan of was the tricep pull-down machine, because I found that gave the best workout to my triceps (but I still supplemented that with low-weight/high-rep lying tricep extensions). Start off with very light weights, way lighter than you think you should be using, and be very aware of how everything moves and balances as you go through the movement of the exercise at hand; I did squats for about 2 months before I properly nailed the form and motion, and only then did they really start to work properly in terms of training my quads. Sort your form out, then start to build up the weight.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Cut wood, carry logs, run, jog, carry water from the well and back...

Be a man about it. All this sissy pants training is not natural.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Svartmetall said:
balances as you go through the movement of the exercise at hand; I did squats for about 2 months before I properly nailed the form and motion, and only then did they really start to work properly in terms of training my quads. Sort your form out, then start to build up the weight.

What're you squatting at the moment out of interest? :)

Also Arnie's book/routines are considered quite bad by todays standards from what i've read. Didn't he hammer his calves every session or something silly? :p

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
old.Tohtori said:
Cut wood, carry logs, run, jog, carry water from the well and back...

Be a man about it. All this sissy pants training is not natural.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually take heed of this advice, these are some of the funnest exercises out there, you got a shovel? got a yard? GO DIG THAT FUCKER UP!

Builds real world strength, is sometimes refered to as farmer strength.

Got some boulders? Go pick them up and move them.
Need fire wood? go cut it yourself bitch!
got a wheel barrow? Dig a hole, put the soil into the wheel barrow, dig another hole, go dump your soil in there, take the soil from that heep and take it back
Get your wheel barrow and a load of stones, put them in your wheel barrow and go run up a hill.
Got a tree? get some thick ass rope, tie it to a strong branch and CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB.
Got an axe? GO CRAZY!
Got a sledgehammer? Go get a tire and go hit the tire!!!!

All exercises are unbelievably fun :D

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Vladamir said:

Also Arnie's book/routines are considered quite bad by todays standards from what i've read. Didn't he hammer his calves every session or something silly? :p

yep, he did bodybuilding - alot of isolation work.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Vladamir said:

At the moment, nothing - I haven't been training since I moved to Nottingham (a situation I'm intending to address soon), mainly due to lack of bench and not being a big fan of gyms; I'd much rather train at home with music I actually like and not surrounded by morons in expensive designer training gear trying to prove their manhood by lifting far too much weight, with shit form, for two and a half reps befiore they noisily collapse.
I used to squat around 130-150 kilos, sets of 15 reps and just keep going to failure. Loved squats...I have crappy biceps + pecs (which is typical, because the two bloody questions everyone and their dog asks when you say you do weights are either 'how much can you bench?' or 'show us your biceps'...curses!) but pretty strong shoulders, neck + legs. Meh. Genetics is genetics, you can't fight it.

Arnie + calves - oh yeah, but I was talking about the actual exercises themselves in isolation. Sorry - should have made that a bit clearer. I admit they may of course be overall better books out now, but I always used that one and it worked for me.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Bastard, and i thought i was chuffed to bits with my 75kgx8 last night :p. Though it's going up every week by 5 kilo's at the moment :| . I'll catch you soon :D

And yeah, i never understood why people care about how much you can curl or whatever. I struggle to do one isolation exercise after all my back exercises, my grip is shot to pieces :p

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Vladamir said:
Bastard, and i thought i was chuffed to bits with my 75kgx8 last night :p. Though it's going up every week by 5 kilo's at the moment :| . I'll catch you soon :D
Heh, you can probably bench more than I ever could - most I ever managed to bench was 80Kg for one rep and that was really tough going (I usually did I think it was about 60ish for reps). Like I said, I have strong legs/shoulders and crappy arms/chest.
Squats are the single best overall exercise, too - they work your biggest muscle groups all at once (quads + glutes). If I was rushed for time and couldn't do a proper workout, I'd just put 90 on the bar and do sets of 20 to failure; it still gave me an overall hit.
And yeah, i never understood why people care about how much you can curl or whatever. I struggle to do one isolation exercise after all my back exercises, my grip is shot to pieces :p
Form. Form is everything.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Exactly. I try to go suuuuuuuuperslow where i can. My negatives on squats probably double the time i spend on the rack :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom