Dumb Question...

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Is it possible/easy to have the documents and settings folder on a different HD to the rest of Windows?

I am thinking of equiping my new PC with a 74Gb Raptor for OS and apps and a 200Gb drive for everything else. At the moment my D&S folder is a slightly flabby 35Gb or thereabouts and it would seem to be better if this could be permanently situated on another drive.

Cheers

RB

djsmiley

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, how?

Ill guess, i think you right click the folder on the desktop (not the short cut, if you've deleted it, right click desktop and get it back).

in there it should say "Move folder" and move it to where you want it =)

Clown

Part of the furniture
But it has all the application settings and other hiden file system stuff.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
35gb is mahoosive. I'd fix the problem of its size personally.

REmap your 'my documents' by all means, right click on the 'my documents' icon (not shortcut) to do it, create a d:\my documents folder and shift your files across.

You've either got big files on your desktop or in your my docs, unless your app data is completely ravaged by tons of temp junk.

It is possible to move, but it always ends up causing stability problems, even if you map a physical drive as the d&s subfolder.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Yup it's My Docs that's the problem, I keep files off the desktop as a rule.

Thanks for the answer Xav, I think a change of practice is required rather than anything else. I tend to put all my photos in My Photos and all my music in, well you get the idea. Also everything I download goes in there too.

The easiest, and mosty sensible option is simply to create default photo, music, downloads etc folders on my 2nd drive and leave D&S for the important stuff on drive 1.

Thanks again

RB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom